What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:58 pm

"The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind"

"Rule by Secrecy" by Jim Marrs is next (reread).
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby The Meromorph on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:18 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:"The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind"

Oh man, I'm looking forward to your comments on that! :)
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.
The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:20 pm

So far, some wonderful passages, but it's early yet. I need to sit down and give it some full attention this weekend, if possible.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby SpisBoy on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:45 pm

Duke wrote:I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5. But I am always reading that book. That, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Life of Pi.

I have read all of those books. Kurt Vonnegut rules! Douglas Adams rules! Yann Martel was pretty good too! :fsm_rock: :fsm_rock:
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Arrrgh!" -Piraticus 13:7

http://home.earthlink.net/~meximiliano/
SpisBoy
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Tickle on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 pm

Duke wrote:I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5. But I am always reading that book. That, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Life of Pi.

I thought the life of Pi was great but it was quite slow in the middle - I thought it dragged on a bit.

I'm reading the 'Death Trilogy' ('Mort', 'Reaper Man' and 'Soul Music'), 'Dr Jekyll and My Hyde' and 'The Picture of Dorian Grey'.
Thought of the Day:

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." ~ Robert Byrne
Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby KingLackLuster on Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:50 pm

Dorian Gray is a great novel
No Soup for You!

Haha... I'm Back.
:shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish:
dance my minions
KingLackLuster
Agnolini Admiral

Postby ChowMein on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:01 am

Greetings Brother Laz,I just finished the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons.It ranks top on my alltime sci-fi list(I prefer speculative fiction as a more accurate designation for this one).It is mind blowing in scope.An extremely great read(my humble opinion).It is light on the "hard science",heavy with religion, adventure, intrigue,philosopy.Has romance for the ladies.I am not ashamed to admit the romance stuff choked me up in places,especially in the final installment ,last chapter.DON"T you dare peek,you'll regret it.
What i found to be most impressive was that this series actually had an ending and quite a satisfying one.I've been so dissappointed by many series that began so well,captivating me so I hungered for the next installment just to drop me like a ton a bricks at the final page wanting my money back.
Examples would be the Foundation series by Azimov,the river world series by Philip Jose Farmer and others i can name right now since i'm getting hot under the collar about being departed of hard earned money.
Don't get me wrong though, the books are still a good diversion, but after Hyperion my standards are far to high and those lesser series are just plain juvenile (although i think thats appropriate for everone in this site,myself included LOL).
In closing, Laz, :worship: if you enjoy SF go for Hyperion,ChowMein for now and Ramen in the name of Spaggetti,Flying and The Holy Monster. :worship: :mrgreen:
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby The Black Spot on Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:56 pm

"Flashman on the March".

If you have any interest in Victorian history, you simply must read the Flashman novels. They're hilarious.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby Duke on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:00 pm

Conquerer's Pride--Timothy Zahn. I just started, it's pretty good.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:29 am

As of now, I am reading Thinking Things Through, by Clark Glymour. It's a book about philosophy. My dorm head decided that I didn't have enough to do, so he stopped by and gave me this book. It's pretty interesting.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:37 pm

I've Finished eragon, and I finished Animal Farm the next day. its a suprisingly short book.

Lord Valentines Castle is pretty good. I've only read the first 69 pages or so, but its very good. I was a bit thrown off by the difference of its world (planet with aliens and things. mention of other planets) and what i'm used to reading/writing. that is, LOTR/Narnia/eragon type world. but as soon as I thought how simmilar it seemed to Final Fantasy 9, it became more natural.

anyone else read it?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby zepfreak7799 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:56 pm

The Tao Of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. if you know anything about Taoism don't fret, it's not really a religion. my only faith is to FSM, but for the record im a Taoist Pastafarian if anything :D
zepfreak7799
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Pachyderm on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:04 pm

Conn Igulden's Emperor series.
------(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
-----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddly as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
Pachyderm
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Swatopluk on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:52 am

Harry Turtledove, the Colonization series
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Swatopluk on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:41 am

The daily newspaper :wink:
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose