Cult Classics

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Cult Classics

Postby Capellini on Thu May 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Stargate - My father once told me that he wants to walk into a room and say "My name is Jack O'Neill, and I'm taking over".

Serenity
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Rainswept on Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 pm

I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen The Princess Bride, but I can tell you I pretty much know the scipt by heart at this point.

I also love both Serenity and Big Lebowski... "Fucking dipshit with a nine-toed woman."
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu May 07, 2009 2:53 pm

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! It's even a musical!
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Edd on Thu May 07, 2009 3:03 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! It's even a musical!

It’s even an old avatar of mine!

"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby bacon on Thu May 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! It's even a musical!

Great movie! Didn't know it was a musical - very cool

Rainswept wrote:I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen The Princess Bride, but I can tell you I pretty much know the scipt by heart at this point.

I also love both Serenity and Big Lebowski... "Fucking dipshit with a nine-toed woman."

"I can get you a toe dude . . . with nail polish"

Just bought the Princess Bride DVD, I was surprised that we didn't have it.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu May 07, 2009 3:41 pm

I'm a huge fan of the movie "Dune". dunno if it qualifies as a cult classic, though.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Thu May 07, 2009 5:02 pm

bacon wrote:Just bought the Princess Bride DVD, I was surprised that we didn't have it.

I have the Dread Pirate Edition, which includes a little featurette about whether Roberts is based on Black Bart.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Edd on Thu May 07, 2009 5:53 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I'm a huge fan of the movie "Dune". dunno if it qualifies as a cult classic, though.

Oh, definitely. If you can throw out a quote like 'He who controls the Spice, controls the universe' and others start talking about wormsign, you're amongst fans. If they just look at you funny and start inching away from you, you're not.

I think pretty much most science fiction movies that are still talked about over twenty years after they came out have reached cult status.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Thu May 07, 2009 7:07 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I'm a huge fan of the movie "Dune". dunno if it qualifies as a cult classic, though.

David Lynch version or the Sci-Fi Channel version?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu May 07, 2009 7:16 pm

PKMKII wrote:

David Lynch version or the Sci-Fi Channel version?

Sting version (I think it's David Lynch). I have it on tape upstairs somewhere, in the Room of Doom with sixty hundred lotsandlots of random other stuff.
trailer
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu May 07, 2009 7:20 pm

bacon wrote:Not sure if it is considered a cult classic, but The Big Lebowski is definitely at the top of my list.

Me too!

"Clearly, you aren't a golfer."

Also not sure if it counts but The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou has a devoted following and is my favorite movie of all time.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby bacon on Thu May 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Rainswept wrote:
bacon wrote:Just bought the Princess Bride DVD, I was surprised that we didn't have it.

I have the Dread Pirate Edition, which includes a little featurette about whether Roberts is based on Black Bart.

Damn - didn't know there was a special edition - was the featurette good?

Dune! - I haven't seen the sci-fi channel version yet, but heard it was halfway decent. Somehow I can't imagine it being as good as Lynch's.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Rainswept on Thu May 07, 2009 8:07 pm

It's so-so. The cooler one is Cary Elwes' camcorder behind the scenes thing. There are other special editions out there, I know mine was released in 2 sets of different packaging but same content, the "Buttercup Edition" or something.

I may be a minority on this, but I much preferred the Sci-Fi channel version of Dune.
Rainswept

Postby Rainswept on Thu May 07, 2009 8:19 pm

PantyGnawer wrote:"Clearly, you aren't a golfer."

Big Lebowski always makes me think of all the swearing, which always reminds me of Deadwood. NSFW.
Rainswept

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 am

If Serenity can be considered a cult classic, it will be, in about an hour and a bit, one of my favourite cult films. I'm watching it right now, after seeing all of Firefly.

Hehe, Jayne just smashed some guy upside down.

"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode."
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors