The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Elvalia on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 pm

I never liked GTA. And I have 2 or 3 of them for the PS2.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby fueledbycoffee on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:51 pm

I always enjoyed the GTA games, but I also never understood the amount of absolute worship that gets tossed in their direction. GTAIV was a great game, but it didn't fix the biggest problems with the series.

The Big Two:

1. Lack of Freedom - The series biggest selling point is also the area where it falls flat, oddly enough. Sure, you can kill anyone you want to, steal any car, and go anywhere. However, the game strictly limits your choices as far as morality goes. It would be interesting if you could choose not to follow the story, and, say, get a job, pay the rent, help little old ladies across the street instead of mowing them down. Or perhaps find employment with the police, even. GTA has always limited players in all but the most superficial ways.

2. The Police - Cops in real life do not run people over with their cars or shoot people for punching someone, or running a red. Simple as that. So far, the best I've seen is Mafia, which should have been emulated instead of simply forgotten. In Mafia, if you committed a vehicular crime that didn't involve jacking or manslaughter, you got ticketed. Worse, you'd get arrested. That's the thing, cops behaved themselves! They didn't kill you unless they had absolutely no choice. In GTA, you have a bunch of homicidal maniacs dressed in blue. They find every imaginable way to end you that they can come up with, and only arrest you when they can't avoid it.

If they fixed those two issues, they'd have a masterpiece on their hands with GTAIV.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:40 am

I love the game but I feel evil killing pigeons. I found a van with the a picture of an electric light bulb on the side and the name T.WATTS...it's the sense of humour that I like.

I think GTA is popular in the UK because it's taking the p out of the USA.

America should create a similar game about Britain...

You'd have no guns though and the police would be really polite. Sounds rubbish!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby thelastpirate on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:52 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:I always enjoyed the GTA games, but I also never understood the amount of absolute worship that gets tossed in their direction. GTAIV was a great game, but it didn't fix the biggest problems with the series.

The Big Two:

1. Lack of Freedom - The series biggest selling point is also the area where it falls flat, oddly enough. Sure, you can kill anyone you want to, steal any car, and go anywhere. However, the game strictly limits your choices as far as morality goes. It would be interesting if you could choose not to follow the story, and, say, get a job, pay the rent, help little old ladies across the street instead of mowing them down. Or perhaps find employment with the police, even. GTA has always limited players in all but the most superficial ways.

2. The Police - Cops in real life do not run people over with their cars or shoot people for punching someone, or running a red. Simple as that. So far, the best I've seen is Mafia, which should have been emulated instead of simply forgotten. In Mafia, if you committed a vehicular crime that didn't involve jacking or manslaughter, you got ticketed. Worse, you'd get arrested. That's the thing, cops behaved themselves! They didn't kill you unless they had absolutely no choice. In GTA, you have a bunch of homicidal maniacs dressed in blue. They find every imaginable way to end you that they can come up with, and only arrest you when they can't avoid it.

If they fixed those two issues, they'd have a masterpiece on their hands with GTAIV.

QFT.

Just the other day I was in a car chase with 1 star for crashing into a police car and I crashed, the police ran over several innocent bystanders to park next to me then carjacked me out.
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 pm

I've always enjoyed them because of the huge maps, but the morality is rather limiting. If they added some kind of morality thing, like in Fable, they would have an excellent game.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:56 pm

I just reinstalled Grim Fandango. See you when I finish.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:56 am

I bought Far Cry 2 yesterday, for $20 off. (Just so you know, all the other games I bought recently were half price)

I really enjoy the realism of the game, especially the fire. The fire is fun, as long as it doesn't blow towards your mode of transport. The malaria pills are an annoyance.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:42 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I bought Far Cry 2 yesterday, for $20 off. (Just so you know, all the other games I bought recently were half price)

I really enjoy the realism of the game, especially the fire. The fire is fun, as long as it doesn't blow towards your mode of transport. The malaria pills are an annoyance.

My work mate has that game and he sais it's like GTA but set in a jungle. You leave those poor elephants alone...can you get eaten by a Lion?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 am

thelastpirate wrote: QFT.

Just the other day I was in a car chase with 1 star for crashing into a police car and I crashed, the police ran over several innocent bystanders to park next to me then carjacked me out.

I got arrested for shooting a pigeon!

It must have been 'Speckled Jim.'
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 am

black bart wrote:I think GTA is popular in the UK because it's taking the p out of the USA.

'GTA Vice City' and 'GTA San Andreas' were both written by Rockstar North, who are of course... SCOTTISH!!

There are a bunch of jokes and references to Scotland in both games (the bridges from San Fierro to Tierra Robada are the Forth road and rail bridges in GTA-SA, the band Love Fist in GTA-VC are Scottish, and there are many more). The characters Vlad and Roman in GTA IV owe their names to Vladimir Romanov and Roman Bednar, respectively owner of, and former striker for, Heart of Midlothian Football club.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:10 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
black bart wrote:I think GTA is popular in the UK because it's taking the p out of the USA.

'GTA Vice City' and 'GTA San Andreas' were both written by Rockstar North, who are of course... SCOTTISH!!

There are a bunch of jokes and references to Scotland in both games (the bridges from San Fierro to Tierra Robada are the Forth road and rail bridges in GTA-SA, the band Love Fist in GTA-VC are Scottish, and there are many more). The characters Vlad and Roman in GTA IV owe their names to Vladimir Romanov and Roman Bednar, respectively owner of, and former striker for, Heart of Midlothian Football club.

Now that is something we can be thankful to Scotland for. Love Fist were hilarious.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:49 pm

black bart wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I bought Far Cry 2 yesterday, for $20 off. (Just so you know, all the other games I bought recently were half price)

My work mate has that game and he sais it's like GTA but set in a jungle. You leave those poor elephants alone...can you get eaten by a Lion?

It's not really like GTA, for there aren't any civilians and everybody has guns... If I see a lion, I'll tell you. I'll make sure to purrrovoke it.

What was the point for that pun? Who knows.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby thelastpirate on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
black bart wrote:

It's not really like GTA, for there aren't any civilians and everybody has guns... If I see a lion, I'll tell you. I'll make sure to purrrovoke it.

What was the point for that pun? Who knows.

Apparently there are lots of near-identical villages, all full of people with ak47s jeeps with mounted machine guns, who attack you just because you get too close.

Also (and I know this firsthand) in that game you heal drowning by snapping fingers back into place or sometimes pulling a bullet out of your arm.
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:15 pm

thelastpirate wrote: Apparently there are lots of near-identical villages, all full of people with ak47s jeeps with mounted machine guns, who attack you just because you get too close.

Also (and I know this firsthand) in that game you heal drowning by snapping fingers back into place or sometimes pulling a bullet out of your arm.

I don't know about lots of near-identical villages, as I've really only experienced only one, with a couple of minor roadhouse-esque buildings. I think there is only one. As for thee men with guns and jeeps with mounted guns, yes. Not because you come too close, but because you're on their road. But if you run a checkpoint, they come after you.

The snapping of fingers and whatnot is interesting.

EDIT: Why yes, there are more villages! I went exploring and found them. I didn't actually go in, because I didn't want to get shot at, but they seem similar.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:47 am

I've heard that 'Fall Out 3' is very good (and only costs £20). When I've finished killing all of Liberty City's pigeons I might give it a go.

Lucky for real pigeons I have no intention of shooting anything in real life (although I did have a try at clay pigeon shooting once), because once I get going I can be pretty determined.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors