The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri May 25, 2012 2:55 am

If you were playing as Stevie Wonder, surely you'd be better playing Harmonica Hero, or Harmonica Hero II: The Chromatic.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
User avatar
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
 
Posts: 15793
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart on Fri May 25, 2012 7:59 am

Roy Hunter wrote:If you were playing as Stevie Wonder, surely you'd be better playing Harmonica Hero, or Harmonica Hero II: The Chromatic.


:furious:

I am starting to suspect that Roy is a spy for Rock Star North.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
 
Posts: 25876
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Wolfenstein on Sat May 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Diablo on nightmare down. If the game does not get hard soon I will be pissed.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
User avatar
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: The Q Continuum

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Wolfenstein on Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm

I could also mention that I am a wizard running around with a sledgehammer. that feels a little off. What I would like it a sock with half a brick in it and I could pretend I was Rincewind.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
User avatar
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: The Q Continuum

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart on Sat May 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Wolfenstein wrote:I could also mention that I am a wizard running around with a sledgehammer. that feels a little off. What I would like it a sock with half a brick in it and I could pretend I was Rincewind.


You'd be even more effective with one of my old socks...just the smell would be a killer.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
 
Posts: 25876
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Wolfenstein on Sat May 26, 2012 6:33 pm

black bart wrote:You'd be even more effective with one of my old socks...just the smell would be a killer.


Have your socks ever defeated a creature more powerful than the gods?
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
User avatar
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: The Q Continuum

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun May 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Wolfenstein wrote:Have your socks ever defeated a creature more powerful than the gods?

You remember the stories of the Klingons killing their gods and banishing them to the afterlife? It wasn't the Klingons who did that by themselves. They had more than ample help from one pair of socks. This is also what helped wipe the Tribbles from the face of the galaxy.

My friend is sending me a 7 day trial for Star Wars: The Old Republic. I shall have no life for 7 days. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
User avatar
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: BASE jumping off the Dark Tower.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Wolfenstein on Sun May 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:
Wolfenstein wrote:Have your socks ever defeated a creature more powerful than the gods?

You remember the stories of the Klingons killing their gods and banishing them to the afterlife? It wasn't the Klingons who did that by themselves. They had more than ample help from one pair of socks. This is also what helped wipe the Tribbles from the face of the galaxy.

My friend is sending me a 7 day trial for Star Wars: The Old Republic. I shall have no life for 7 days. :haha:


It was Kailis [I don't know how it is spelled] that killed the Klingon gods.

In Discworld the 8th son of a 8th son becomes a wizard. But the 8th son of an 8th son of an 8th son becomes a wizard squared. A sourcerer, the source of magic. Sourcerers generate their own magic power unlike wizards and witches that just use the magic that is already there. By violating the laws of thermodynamics for magic, sourcerers are more or powerful than the gods. If you plan to read Sourcery stop reading now. Rincewind the Wizzard "defeated" the sourcerer with half a brick in a sock at the end of Sourcery.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
User avatar
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: The Q Continuum

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue May 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Wolfenstein wrote:It was Kailis [I don't know how it is spelled] that killed the Klingon gods.

It's spelt Kahless, and he wasn't the one who killed the Klingon gods. He defeated the tyrant Molor, and united the Klingon peoples into an empire. It was allegedly Kortar who killed them (but with the help of Bart's socks, one must suppose :haha:), and as punishment, he was doomed to ferry the souls of the dead to Gre'thor on the barge of the dead.

Wolfenstein wrote:In Discworld the 8th son of a 8th son becomes a wizard. But the 8th son of an 8th son of an 8th son becomes a wizard squared. A sourcerer, the source of magic. Sourcerers generate their own magic power unlike wizards and witches that just use the magic that is already there. By violating the laws of thermodynamics for magic, sourcerers are more or powerful than the gods. If you plan to read Sourcery stop reading now. Rincewind the Wizzard "defeated" the sourcerer with half a brick in a sock at the end of Sourcery.

One of my favourite Discworld novels. I'd often wondered on the real source of that sock...

Seriously though, it really is one of my favourites, and i've read (and own) them all. It goes to show you that the mightiest person can be felled by the humblest of things, and there's not much humbler than a half-brick in a sock. Or Rincewind. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
User avatar
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: BASE jumping off the Dark Tower.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:57 pm

So, halfway through Spyro 2, my PS1 has also stopped reading discs. :cry:

Did someone say they knew how to fix that problem? Is there an article I can read? I'm probably not in any state of mind to go screwing with stuff like that (my brain doesn't like me today) but maybe in the future it would be nice to have instructions handy.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
-------------------------------
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
-------------------------------
Image
User avatar
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:13 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 am

So i've started my journey to the Light Side, and installed Star Wars: The Old Republic. I'm already in love with it, even though i've not really done much so far, and don't even have my proper light stick. Still, this will come in time. I am sorely tempted to subscribe already, but will put it off until i've played a little more of the higher levels. Don't want to be hasty now, do we? :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
User avatar
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: BASE jumping off the Dark Tower.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:So, halfway through Spyro 2, my PS1 has also stopped reading discs. :cry:

Did someone say they knew how to fix that problem? Is there an article I can read? I'm probably not in any state of mind to go screwing with stuff like that (my brain doesn't like me today) but maybe in the future it would be nice to have instructions handy.


Here's the Ars Technica article about it. From what I recall it's not particularly difficult, you just have to be careful about looking directly at the laser (that is, NOT looking directly at the laser) and keep track of the screws (yay ziploc bags! I should've used those...).
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:


Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
User avatar
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty
 
Posts: 14353
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:38 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks, Qwerty! I bookmarked it.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
-------------------------------
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
-------------------------------
Image
User avatar
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:13 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 am

I read an article saying that 42% of video gamers in the US are women/girls. I am amazed by that as I have never met a female who is remotely interested in video games. Unfortunately they are playing shooter type games and are suffering from online abuse from their fellow male gamers.

(I wrote that carefully so as not to end up in the QOOC thread...but I bet I failed).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
 
Posts: 25876
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:04 am

black bart wrote:I read an article saying that 42% of video gamers in the US are women/girls. I am amazed by that as I have never met a female who is remotely interested in video games. Unfortunately they are playing games online and are suffering from online abuse from the same cretinous idiots that have been abusing everyone for years.

Fixed :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
 
Posts: 11337
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Surrey, England.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests