The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Wed May 16, 2012 12:59 pm

My PS2 does, in fact, still play audio CDs and PS2 games, but not DVDs or PS1 games. I guess they're all different mechanisms.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Wed May 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Yeah, the DVD player in the PS2 is notoriously unreliable.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Wolfenstein on Wed May 16, 2012 3:40 pm

What? I have been using my PS2 as dvd player since I got it. I never even got a proper dvd player because I got my PS2 and it is working so great.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate

Postby Wolfenstein on Sun May 20, 2012 1:57 pm

I just beat Diablo 3 and I was a little disappointed of how short is was. Diablo 1 and 2 took waaay longer to finish.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun May 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:My PS2 does, in fact, still play audio CDs and PS2 games, but not DVDs or PS1 games. I guess they're all different mechanisms.

Actually it has to do with the distance that the laser eye is from the disc, and it tends to shift after a decade or so. You should be able to find instructions online on how to unscrew and open up the PS2, and re-adjust the laser eye/reader/whatever it is so that it reads everything it should. If you're into that kind of thing, anyway, it can be intimidating too, and i think I eventually broke mine completely the third or fourth time I opened it up. :P

Do you have Sypro 3? I think that was the first one I owned, so it's always been my favorite. Probably more like 2 than 1, but I recall the gameplay as being just generally better.

Wolfenstein, how old were you when you played the originals? I feel that as I get older, games in general don't take as long, just because I'm better at playing them, exploiting them, etc. Granted, I was like, 9 or 10 when I played Diablo II, maybe it wasn't so bad for one even just a few years older.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Wolfenstein on Sun May 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Wolfenstein, how old were you when you played the originals? I feel that as I get older, games in general don't take as long, just because I'm better at playing them, exploiting them, etc. Granted, I was like, 9 or 10 when I played Diablo II, maybe it wasn't so bad for one even just a few years older.

Diablo 1: 15
Diablo 2: 19
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun May 20, 2012 5:24 pm

I have Spyro 1, 2, and 3, as well as post-series-sale Season of Ice for the GBA (awful), and post-series-sale Enter The Dragonfly for the PS2 (also awful). I've completed the first two entirely in the past (the first one in the recent past, of course) but I'm not sure if I even beat the 3rd one. General trend of opinions seems to be that the second was the worst of the first three, but still good.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Mon May 21, 2012 8:09 am

I am still playing Skyrim. A messenger has just handed me a note with a picture of a black hand on it and the words "We know"!!! :paranoid:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby gronank on Mon May 21, 2012 9:05 am

black bart wrote:I am still playing Skyrim. A messenger has just handed me a note with a picture of a black hand on it and the words "We know"!!! :paranoid:

Have you been naughty with a knife in the dark?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 am

black bart wrote:I am still playing Skyrim. A messenger has just handed me a note with a picture of a black hand on it and the words "We know"!!! :paranoid:

It wasn't from...Sir Rodney Ffing?

Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon May 21, 2012 5:57 pm

All that adventuring... you might want to take a nap at some point... just find a nice bedroll out in the wilderness, or cough up a few septims at an inn... just a quick snooze to get you back on your feet. :guilty:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby black bart on Thu May 24, 2012 8:38 am

gronank wrote:

Have you been naughty with a knife in the dark?

No...but now I come to think of it I did shoot a school mistress in the head using the Ebony Bow of Chills...didn't do her much good.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu May 24, 2012 8:54 am

Ebony would make a rubbish bow. It doesn't bend, it breaks. Very hard, though: it would make good arrows.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Thu May 24, 2012 9:31 am

Ebony and Ivory are together in perfect harmony...

Now there's a game idea...you play as either Stevie Wonder or Paul McCartney and you have to write a hit song that will unite the World's different races...and you get to blow stuff up if it belongs to Right Wing Extremists.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri May 25, 2012 2:21 am

black bart wrote:Ebony and Ivory are together in perfect harmony...

Now there's a game idea...you play as either Stevie Wonder or Paul McCartney and you have to write a hit song that will unite the World's different races...and you get to blow stuff up if it belongs to Right Wing Extremists.

:haha: I'd like that. The only issue I can see when playing as Stevie Wonder, if you'll excuse the pun, is the not being able to see at all.

I had a bout of Tropico 4 last week. Played quite a few hours according to Steam. I missed it.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors