The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:00 pm

I did get married to the woman who asks you to find her a mammoth tusk. It's bad, as I can't remember her name, but she is usually found hanging out in Whiterun. I play a woman by the way. Nicely subtle way to introduce inclusivity to gaming, although my wife disturbs me somewhat. Whenever I go home, she reminds me of a domestic abuse victim with the way she talks.

By the way, marrying is a trophy which is needed to gain the Platinum.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 am

Roland Deschain wrote:I did get married to the woman who asks you to find her a mammoth tusk. It's bad, as I can't remember her name, but she is usually found hanging out in Whiterun. I play a woman by the way. Nicely subtle way to introduce inclusivity to gaming, although my wife disturbs me somewhat. Whenever I go home, she reminds me of a domestic abuse victim with the way she talks.

By the way, marrying is a trophy which is needed to gain the Platinum.

There was only ever one woman for me...'Lydia' my faithful companion and far better fighter than me...but I never felt she fancied me...although she did say she would help me with my burden and stuff.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Ah, Lydia. She died a warrior's death at my hand in a cave. Such a brave pack horse she was, but I felt her heart was never truly in it. My greatsword was large, and so was my swing, and her penchant for getting in front of me was her downfall.* This is why Annekke Crag-Jumper became my assistant and pack horse. Plus she looks great in her Dragonscale Armour, next to me in my Daedric Armour.

* My friend offered to resurrect her for me if I sent my save game to him, but I told him "No", as she was being honoured in the Hall of Valour in Sovngarde. Gods be praised!
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:58 am

You heartless sod!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 am

I've noticed, whilst playing Assassin's Creed 3 (chuck the Brits out of America) that one of the characters mentioned "General Howe" is buried in a small cemetery in Twickenham.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:11 am

You know what I've noticed while playing Assassin's Creed III? Ubisoft's facial animations get worse in every installment, especially around the mouth. It was only Lucy in ACII, and even then, it wasn't too bad. ACIII? Every character, especially outside the Animus, looks like they're chewing ice. I mean, what's up with that?

Great game, though.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:You know what I've noticed while playing Assassin's Creed III? Ubisoft's facial animations get worse in every installment, especially around the mouth. It was only Lucy in ACII, and even then, it wasn't too bad. ACIII? Every character, especially outside the Animus, looks like they're chewing ice. I mean, what's up with that?

Great game, though.

I agree and quite honestly, although the story line isn't bad, there is far too much cut scene stuff...I know you can skip them but you feel obliged to watch.

It is interesting to note though that: Thomas Hickey was jailed for counterfeiting, and then charged with sedition and conspiracy while in prison. William Spohn Baker, the great late-19th-century Washington expert, believed that the real reason for his execution was involvement in a plot to kill or kidnap Washington.

General Howe was the Commander in Chief of the British Forces and was apparently an excellent general but he had sympathies with the Revolutionary Cause.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Interesting. I know far too little about the history of the period. I was always more interested in what was going on in Eurasia during that period (French Revolution, Rise of Prussia, The Jacobin Club, the East India Company, Napoleon) than the revolution. I'd LOVE to see an installment concerning that stuff, but I doubt we'll see it.

As it is, I've had to look up nearly every character so far.

Still, I think that gameplay-wise, it's easily the best in the series, especially with the combat streamlines and moving through the trees in the frontier, and the idea of open-sea combat makes me swoon. But yeah, too many cutscenes. It feels like they gave us this gigantic playground and then made it too linear.

I do enjoy the idea of modern Assassin's Creed, in the Desmond missions. Also, notice Desmond's facial features have changed... like, a LOT?
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 am

Sod Assassin's Creed...I've move onto..."Borderlands 2'...it's a blast (quite literally).
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Nucleus on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:50 am

So, the Super Nintendo has had some exceptional games made for the console, and I don't see anything when I enter "SNES" into the search bar. Discuss.
Nucleus
Ziti Zealot

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:17 pm

If you're referring to this message board's search bar, it's broken and doesn't work. How's that for discussion? :moon:

I never owned an SNES, unfortunately. Supposedly the games were better than those for the Sega Genesis, which I do own, but I never really got to experience much of it. Sega Genesis had some excellent games too though.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Nucleus wrote:So, the Super Nintendo has had some exceptional games made for the console, and I don't see anything when I enter "SNES" into the search bar. Discuss.
Search Google for "SNES site:venganza.org" and you'll get whatever is here.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Working on my yearly playthrough of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Once you experience what PC games can be, the SNES is that much less impressive.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:39 pm

My computer is too old to run a N64 emulator unfortunately, so I'm waiting to receive a DVI-to-VGA convertor so I can hook up a newer computer my mother got from work for free, to the VGA monitor on my WinME computer, and hopefully that will run it. I want to play Super Mario 64 again. That and the first Spyro the Dragon are my favorite platformer-type games.

I remember enjoying Yoshi's Story as well, but it's been ages since I've played it. I remember it was very pretty, with lovely music, which go a long way in making me like a game, although my idea of "pretty" is not the conventional idea of "pretty video games". I like bright, vibrant colors, such as those found in Final Fantasy IX (my favorite RPG of all time) and the aforementioned platformers. "Realistic" games tend not to be so colorful and stylized as I like. I also remember the gameplay was fun and challenging without being frustrating. I'm easily frustrated by video games. If it makes me tense then I give up frequently, and that interferes with my ability to relax with a game that should be enjoyable.

:fsm_rambling: :haha:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Started playing Starcraft 2 online in 1v1. Predictably, getting my ass kicked.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors