Worst book ever written..

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Worst book ever written..

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Wow, Scott, just reading teh blurb for that stupid piece of shit actually managed to ruin my day.

lol, it was actually pretty funny.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby pieces o'nine on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:57 pm

book blurb wrote:To create the man named Raki, Earth had broken its most rigid taboos against interbreeding. His grandparents were a four-foot tall female genius; a rapacious, blue-skinned space brigand; an enormous superstud gladiator with long, silky fur; and a bland telepathic huntress. His parents were the most gifted creatures ever to walk the Earth--until Raki was born to surpass even them.

A bland telepathic huuntress? Bland? :facepalm:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:59 pm

Srsly, that shit is scary.

What is possibly more scary is that people buy that drivel.

This is not science fiction, this is stupid fiction.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:10 pm

It starts out as some decent sci-fi, but rapidly degrades into a list of animals that people have sex with to create hybrids with the best attributes of both species....
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby PiratePasta on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 pm

All the Twilight books... I'll admit I haven't read them, but I watched the films, and they were enough to put me off of doing so.
Humpty dumpty sat on the wall, humpty dumpty had a great fall... The structure of the wall was incorrect so he won ten grand with Claims Direct!
PiratePasta
Conchigliette Convert

Postby DavidH on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:29 pm

Here's a good candidate:
"GOD SPEAKS!
The Flying Spaghetti Monster In His Own Words."
by Jon Smith, publ. www(dot)lulu(dot)com
I just posted this in 'What are you reading...' and then noticed this thread!
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:30 pm

PiratePasta wrote:All the Twilight books...
This! These books appear to be written by someone with the mental maturity of a 12 year old with a very low level of education¹. They have no plot to speak of and rewrite the history of the vampire. Vampires DO NOT SPARKLE. They burn in sunlight. In flame. Anne Rice added a certain nobility and romanticism to the fable of the vampire, but in no way did she ever do to them what Stephenie Meyer has done. They were still badass with Anne Rice. One other criticism I have of the books is what they have done to the cause of feminism. They endorse girls being completely subservient to obsessive, creepy men who stalk girls 100 years younger than them by following them everywhere and watching them sleep every night.

Every Barbara Cartland novel and pretty much any 'chick' novel ever written. By that I mean in the same vein as the Cartland novels. I started to read one once when I was going out with my ex. Of the 20 pages I managed to read before my brain melted into a putrid lump of puss, 70% was about what the people were wearing (Prada this, Chanel that), 29.99% was about how everyone felt about everyone else and 0.01% was what could be laughably called plot (someone broke their leg whilst skiing).

Another class of book I see adorning a large portion of the book section in Tesco are ones about bad personal childhood experiences. I don't wish to detract from the horrible things experienced by or done to these people when they were children, as it is despicable, but I fail to see the appeal of reading about it ad nauseum. Are these books made for readers of the Daily Mail and The Sun, whose readers are titilated by stories of neglect and abuse? Stopping this from occurring is important, yes, but I have never read one, not do I ever plan to.

¹Please note that while I say this, I do not believe that this is indicative of every 12 year old.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ham Nox on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:58 pm

PiratePasta wrote:All the Twilight books... I'll admit I haven't read them, but I watched the films, and they were enough to put me off of doing so.

I would not use the movie to judge the books. Not to advocate either, mind you, but just simply because they are too different. Meyer's novels have a lot of introspection by the main character, and introspection doesn't translate well to movies. It has just enough action to work into a playable movie. Liking the books depends a lot on how much you like Bella's silent monologues and over-use of adjectives. The characters are admittedly very idealized and predictable. They are all too perfect, which is precisely why teenage girls everywhere love the books to death.
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:One other criticism I have of the books is what they have done to the cause of feminism. They endorse girls being completely subservient to obsessive, creepy men who stalk girls 100 years younger than them by following them everywhere and watching them sleep every night.

Yeah, their relationship shows 15 signs of being an abusive relationship.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Hmmbug on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:16 pm

I think a consensus has been reached - TWILIGHT.
Hmmbug
Conchigliette Convert

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors