Pre-Posthumous Pratchet aPpreciation Page

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Pre-Posthumous Pratchet aPpreciation Page

Postby Edd on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:24 am

Sam Vimes is who I want to be when I grow up.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:29 pm

Me too, except crossed with Rayne Summers from Least I Could Do. (A webcomic.) I find I already share many similarities with him.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Cricket on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm actually rather fond of the Patrician...

That probably says something about me...
Empusa's crew, so naked-new they may not face the fire,
But weep that they bin too small to sin to the height of their desire,
(Kipling)
Cricket
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Does anybody know where Rincewind actually is at the moment (i.e., now being the time of Making Money and the place of A-M)? I would like to see a city book that includes Rincewind, and what I REALLY want is for Rincewind to finally get laid... he deserves it after all this time, and maybe a peaceful retirement in the country or something.

And you're right, I should never have forgotten the Patrician... by the time of Going Postal and Making Money he becomes super-interesting in his own right. Machiavellian machinations at their best!
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:58 pm

Isn't he in Fourecks?

I forgot the Patrician... I particularly like him in Night Watch, back when he was a mere assassin.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Edd on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:07 am

That’s what is so great about Pratchett – so many great characters. Like Granny Weatherwax. I’m going to have to find a ‘headology’ quote to post here.

And the Librarian! He’s funny and intelligent; he vanquishes those that threaten the fabric of space and time, as well as those with overdue books; he is the keeper of causality and the tamer of dangerous tomes.

And he does it all with a one word vocabulary (see sig).
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:26 am

Oook. Oook.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 am

I think I am going to read 'Guards, Guards, Guards' next...if only because I've always found it amusing when you get a situation where someone calls out "SECURITY!' so as to eject someone from a building. Unless it's me being ejected!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:23 am

I've been meaning to read that one... it's the only City Watch one I haven't read yet...

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Putanesca on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:15 am

Come on guys, surely the ultimate Prachett for a site such as this is Small Gods. Not read it? Shame on you. The best book ever written about religion. Don't believe me? Here's just a few of the fantastic lines;

'Cannot read and write. But extremely loyal and devout' - Now which piece of hate mail doesn't that remind you of?
'Priests are expendable, there's too many of them'

and lastly my personal favorite

'Around the god there forms a shell of prayers and ceremonies and buildings and priests and authority, until at last the god dies. And this may not be noticed'

All in all Terry has about the same opinion of religion that, I guess, we do. In a series of books dealing with the absurd what better subject could there be.

On a serious note, I have sent him a link to this forum (he is always interested) but I don't believe, for obvious reasons, that he will be joining us here but, Terry being Terry, he might just.

For those of you who are interested, work on I shall wear Midnight and Raising Taxes is proceeding slowly. But his latest novel 'Nation' is available now. O.K. I know it's not Discworld but it's still a damn good read.

Oh, and my favorite book? It's just got to be Night Watch. Although I do like Truckers, has anybody else out there seen the tv series? Have you guys outside Europe seen the Colour of Magic and Hogfather yet?
Putanesca Napoli
----------------------------------------
PASTA - You know it makes lunch.
Putanesca
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Cricket on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:18 am

"Hogfather" was on the weird, I can hardly get reception, odd movies channel a couple of times a few months back...pretty strange (but that's hardly a surprise!)

Since "Weird Sisters" is already set up as a play, has anyone done that yet?

"Colour of Magic" has not made an appearance here, that I'm aware of.
(Kipling)
Cricket
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Putanesca on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:30 am

Wyrd Systers, was bought out as an animated film some time ago, as was Soul Music. Both by Cosgrave Hall if I remember correctly.

By the way, I'm with you, The Patrician is one cool dude. Have you ever read any non-fiction on the precept of a ´Benevolent Dictator' ?
Putanesca Napoli
----------------------------------------
PASTA - You know it makes lunch.
Putanesca
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby WelshRarePasta on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:48 pm

Putanesca wrote:Come on guys, surely the ultimate Prachett for a site such as this is Small Gods. Not read it? Shame on you. The best book ever written about religion. Don't believe me? Here's just a few of the fantastic lines;

Well, my favorite book changes every couple months, but I agree that Small Gods is perfect for this board, as well as Pyramids.

If Nation is out, that means I'm headed to the bookstore as soon as I finish posting here (although I fear we'll have to wait a few months on this side of the pond). I'm looking very much forward to however much Terry can finish, and I can't say how much it means to me, personally, that he cares enough to keep writing!

As for the films, I've heard rumors of such wonderful things, but haven't found a way to get access to any of them here in the US. Almost as frustrating is that of the scripts that Gaiman has been involved with, I've only had the privilige to see two here (Stardust and Mirrorball), both of which were excellent imho.

I'm still waiting for someone (preferably Gaiman himself) to do a screenplay and adaptation of Good Omens. It is still my favorite book of both Pratchett's and Gaiman's, primarily because it was the way in which I found out about Pratchett by reading my (then) favorite author ;)
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Cricket on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Have you ever read any non-fiction on the precept of a ´Benevolent Dictator' ?

Not really - I've always thought that it was a possibility, only if you've got a good one, what are the odds of getting another? And if your government is set up for a dictator, and you lose the good one, you're kind of stuck with the next one, who might not be so good.

A benevolent dictatorship would be remarkably efficient (you don't have to run anything by anyone, just do it), but not very reliably reproducible.
(Kipling)
Cricket
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby WelshRarePasta on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:14 am

I did indeed go to the bookstore this afternoon; Nation will be available in hardcover in the US on Sep. 29. I can't wait! Can you believe that the communists at Barnes & Noble didn't have The Amazing Maurice... in stock? I have to get a copy for my nephew for his birthday, and they made me order it... what kind of establishment do they think they're running, I ask you?

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors