Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Following on from the Simon & Garfunkel charity gig, the Songs about Horses charity gig and the Bacharach & David charity gig for which I played drums in the house band (and the Bowie gig which I ducked out of due to temporary insanity), I am now in the house band for...

THE DISCO GIG!

Disco Inferno by Trammps, D.I.S.C.O. by Ottowan, Get Down Tonight by KC & The Sunshine Band, Love Is In The Air by John Paul Douglas... I know them all... I hate myself...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Following on from the Simon & Garfunkel charity gig, the Songs about Horses charity gig and the Bacharach & David charity gig for which I played drums in the house band (and the Bowie gig which I ducked out of due to temporary insanity), I am now in the house band for...

THE DISCO GIG!

Disco Inferno by Trammps, D.I.S.C.O. by Ottowan, Get Down Tonight by KC & The Sunshine Band, Love Is In The Air by John Paul Douglas... I know them all... I hate myself...

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:10 am

I watched Danny Baker's Great Album Showdown which also featured Stephen Street, Kate Mossman...and Jeremy Clarkeson (Why?). It was a massive trip down memory lane to the days of Vinyl. Triple Albums, panties attached to the cover (Alice Cooper), amazing artwork, Prog Rock etc etc. Those were the days!

All my albums are in the loft with my old stereo. :cry:

Watch out though...some of those old vinyl albums (in good nick) are worth a small fortune.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Helium Hands on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

I have been stuck on Richard Thompson for the past several days. And Metric.
How those two go together is beyond me.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm trying to acquaint myself with the albums "Join Us" and "Album Raises New And Troubling Questions" which I've owned almost since they were released in 2011 but never really listened to attentively or put on my MP3 player. The music is lovely, from what I've heard so far, although I had it on shuffle with the rest of my music library, so I didn't hear all of it.

I also re-ripped "Dizzy Up The Girl" by The Goo Goo Dolls, which I've had for years but grew tired of and deleted from my computer some time ago. I listened to "Slide" and "Black Balloon".
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:41 am

I'm tryingto decide if I want to learn "Tea and Theatre" by The Who. I've listened to three different versions of it in the last couple of days (figured out a workaround for the sound deficit on my laptop). I think I like it enough to add it to my set list, but I'm still undecided. A few more listens are in order. As a side benefit, in scrounging around on youtube for the different versions, I stumbled on some old cuts from"Tommy". I had forgotten how great that stuff is.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 am

I was watching Quadrophenia on the weekend, great stuff.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:00 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:13 pm

I listened to a few My Bloody Valentine songs, after being told their style is shoegaze and not annoying angsty goth metal, despite the name. It didn't do much for me regardless. Supposedly they're a favorite of audiophiles who enjoy listening to every nuance of the squealing guitars, but squealing guitars with no interesting melody or rhythm seems pointless to me. I compared one of their songs to the sounds of an automobile assembly plant. Not my thing. Hopefully Radiohead and The Braindead Monkeys will give me enough "noise and distortion for noise and distortion's sake" cred so I can still claim to listen to "a little of everything." :haha:

The singer is cute though.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Never been entirely convinced by My Bloody Valentine. I always felt there was a bit of the Emperor's New Clothes about them (and indeed most shoe-gazing music). I've got a couple of friends who did very well out of that scene, but it always sounded to me like Primal Scream after taking the wrong drugs before the gig.

But I am quite prepared to admit I am wrong (I'm married - I do it all the time), as My Bloody Valentine are back in the charts again 30 years after they started. Somebody must like them.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Helium Hands on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 am

I, on the other hand, am a rabid MBV fan. I must admit that my love for them mostly comes from nostalgia, for they were one of the first non-FM-radio-rock bands I ever heard. In retrospect, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr. and Echo and the Bunnymen are much better bands, but I will still listen to "Loveless" over and over again given the proper reminders.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Finally rousted out my Quadrophenia CDs. I'll probably be listening to them nonstop on my commute for a while now.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 am

This showed up in one of my music subscriptions today. I may have died and gone to heaven, as this is the kind of thing I'm expecting the beer volcano to produce for me.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:This showed up in one of my music subscriptions today. I may have died and gone to heaven, as this is the kind of thing I'm expecting the beer volcano to produce for me.

Did you ever see the wonderful "Rockumentary" about Sabbath? It was better than Spinal Tap.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Helium Hands on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:29 pm

I am now in full Heavy Metal mode...speaking of Sabbath.
-Unattrib

-Bill Hicks

Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors