Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Arkaeon on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:24 am

A latin proverb on the arm of a proud Scot, one of the few peoples who stopped the Roman Empire, is quite surprising, although I certainly find the sentiment appropriate. (From my readings, only the frisians and suebi so frightened off the romans.) It's like "sisu" among the finns. In the face of such indomitable peoples, the imperial commanders declared, "I came, I saw, I drew a line on the map and ran home like a whipped puppy!"

Otherwise, if you're looking to backwards-engineer a folk song, why not go to the extreme end and pull some snippets or ideas? Check out Alan Parsons Project stuff maybe. Just guessing, but themes from stuff like this might be useful: Time, Ammonia Avenue, Don't Hold Back, Children of the Moon, Old and Wise, Closer to Heaven, Can't Look Down, One More River, Mr. Time, Days Are Numbers, Same Old Sun... not necessarily my favorite Parsons Project songs, but ones that might have usable folk stuff in them. Play the whole catalog of his Project work and I'll bet you get some good ideas somewhere.

If you can do a folk version of "Return to Tunguska" with such weight, I'll be suitably impressed and demand a copy :)

Oh, and right now I'm listening to "L'arc en Ciel" from his "A Valid Path" album, just for the record:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGLCAJrm1g
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Patti Smith - Gloria

:haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Arkaeon wrote:A latin proverb on the arm of a proud Scot, one of the few peoples who stopped the Roman Empire, is quite surprising, although I certainly find the sentiment appropriate.
The Hunters are sheep thieves. We steal what we can, and reluctantly buy what we can't.

I am not so sure we stopped the Romans: I suspect they ran out of steam when they got to the Highland fault line, and took the very rational and sensible decision to give up (like the British in Afghanistan in the 19th Century didn't. Or in the 21st Century for that matter). They had to fall back to the Antonine Wall, and then Hadrian's Wall, because that's where the Picts / Scots / Celts stopped giving a shit and allowed the Romans to prosper. There's not that much agricultural or industrial excellence north of the border anyway (at least not in those days).

Anyway, my songwriter's extravaganza turned into a bit of a Motown binge. Motown Chartbusters Vol. 5 is just an amazing album, as is Stevie Wonder's Talking Book and Michael Jackson's Off The Wall (OK,that was on Epic, not Motown, but I don't care). Now wandering about the house wearing a guitar and singing to the dog.

He thinks I am a shit singer. He's not wrong.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:29 pm

AAAAOOOOO!!!!
Werewulf o portsmuff
AAAAOOOOO!!!!
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:51 am

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:AAAAOOOOO!!!!
Werewulf o portsmuff
AAAAOOOOO!!!!

:nefyoobash:

Ooohh look Nef Yooo tis a full moon tonight...I'll let you stay up late and have a walk round the back streets.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 am

Listening to ye olde Linkin Park. Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Not great, but there are a few songs I still quite enjoy. Definitely better compared to their newer stuff.

Actually, Fall Out Boy is like that too. Haven't heard them in a few years in general, but then at a party my friends were playing really old Fall Out Boy, like pre-2006, and I was like "Oh, this is pretty chill (for essentially pop rock), I don't remember them being this not-bad." Oh yeah, that's because their later stuff just got worse and worse, which makes their earlier stuff sound better, somehow, in retrospect.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue May 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote: Oh yeah, that's because their later stuff just got worse and worse, which makes their earlier stuff sound better, somehow, in retrospect.
No-one remembers that Police Academy was actually a pretty good movie, because of Police Academy IV, V, and VI.

Just been listening to The Last Waltz by The Band in the car. I had forgotten how good it was.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue May 01, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm not saying it works in every instance, but it at least has that effect on Fall Out Boy for me. The Killers as well, except that's more about Sam's Town, since I love Hot Fuss to begin with.

Listening to a barking dog. But really, been checking out old Cake, and Jane's Addiction. Pretty solid stuff.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm listening to a song by my favorite band, They Might Be Giants. It's the demo version of "Youth Culture Killed My Dog", which I hadn't heard before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYIlCrJuptk

It's about a guy who unwittingly enters his friendly pet dog into a dog fight, and is shocked and dismayed when his dog is killed by three dogs named Youth Culture, Hip Hop, and White Funk. He is further shocked and dismayed when the criminal gang running the fight comes after him for the money he bet on his unfortunate dog.

:evilgrin: :guilty:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat May 05, 2012 4:34 am

Roy Hunter

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat May 05, 2012 9:35 am

Was that your wife I was talking to on Facebook yesterday, Roy? :bummer:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat May 05, 2012 11:46 am

Listening to the soundtrack to The Secret of Kells. Haven't switched off of my sleeping playlist yet.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat May 05, 2012 12:05 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Was that your wife I was talking to on Facebook yesterday, Roy? :bummer:
No, silly. That was Milo. :idiot:
Roy Hunter

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat May 05, 2012 9:46 pm

The soundtracks to:-

Back to the Future
Back to the Future II
Back to the Future III
Star Trek (all films and TV shows)
Star Wars (all 6 films)
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat May 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Arrrgh. I should have seen that coming. Pranking the pranker. :haha:

I've pranked someone else around here too. Let's see if he notices. :moon:
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors