Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:07 am

Roland Deschain wrote:
Rainswept wrote:I try not to spend too much time listening to A Perfect Circle, because if not that's about all I'll listen to.

A Stranger (Acoustic)

That's beautiful. I've never heard it acoustic before. Do you also listen to Puscifer and Tool? I'm a bit of a Tool freak, myself. Anything James Maynard Keenan touches turns to clouds in sunlight (ethereal and beautiful).

I love Tool, but Puscifer has yet to really draw me in. The truly wild thing about Maynard is that all these seemingly amazing lyrics keep turning out to be absolutely literal truth. "Judith" "Marie" is his mother, who was "broken down and paralyzed" after a stroke for approx 27 years (10,000 days). The man just has a way of telling those stories, with most people never imagining they are non-fiction.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby ChowMein on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:40 pm

The Ecstasy Of Gold , by Ennio Morricone , lead vocals by Susanna Rigacci . I've been viewing every version I can find on you tube , my favorite is the ten minute ' 3 Themes . For two days in succession it is all I've listened to .
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:59 pm

My "Beatles Chronology" playlist in Banshee (open-source Linux media player/manager).

Basically, this playlist is all the good stuff from their work with Tony Sheridan, to "Real Love" in a sorta chronological order.

"Sorta" because I started with the original British records and put them in release order. I rearranged the American Magical Mystery Tour album into the British double-EP order and put the remainder (a bunch of singles) into their proper positions (Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever before Sgt. Pepper, etc.). I did the same with Past Masters, putting all the singles, B-sides, the Long Tall Sally EP, "Bad Boy", and "Across The Universe" ("nature" version) into their proper release date positions, but if there's a song on both a single and an album, I left it with the album. I stuck Let It Be... Naked immediately after the original Let It Be album, and I put Abbey Road after Naked because Let it Be was recorded first.

Then I was left with Yellow Submarine and Anthology. I put the four original songs at the points where they were recorded relative to singles and albums, and did the same with the "finished" songs from Anthology, plus the Decca audition and Kinfauns demos. I left out anything that was an unfinished take or a live recording, and left out Live At The BBC and the Baby It's You EP as well. "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" are at the end.

I'm listening to it all in order, although of course not all at once because there's over 12 hours of music on the list. I love to listen to The Beatles like this. I used to do this on walks, but unfortunately my stupid current MP3 player has an arbitrary 400-song limit on playlists. :confused:

I'm currently listening to "Baby It's You", from Please Please Me.

I just have to add the alternate masters of "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" and "And Your Bird Can Sing" to the playlist. I'm not sure why I left them off, as they're finished songs that were just rerecorded for the final albums. I like them. The band was all on pot when they did the original master of "AYBCS". They were cracking up giggling through the whole thing. :haha:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby pieces o'nine on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 am

What I'm listening to while checking the day's pirate spam is something on H2 --[e.g.: the 'History' -- in the loosest possible sense -- spin-off channel]-- and I've just learned that ALIENS BUILT AVEBURY! :paranoid:

Oh, sure, I've *been* there a couple times, and I thought I was appreciating it just fine from the ground, but I had NO IDEA that it can only be properly appreciated from space!!! :confused:

Wait ... now some guy with a chyron crediting him as the author of a book on Atlantis is building a compelling case for alien visitation, and referencing the Greeks and the Chinese to clinch it!!!!! :facepalm:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:59 am

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:22 am

Roy Hunter wrote:This.

I think I recognise that tall bloke at the back playing the bass :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:49 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:What I'm listening to while checking the day's pirate spam is something on H2 --[e.g.: the 'History' -- in the loosest possible sense -- spin-off channel]-- and I've just learned that ALIENS BUILT AVEBURY! :paranoid:

Oh, sure, I've *been* there a couple times, and I thought I was appreciating it just fine from the ground, but I had NO IDEA that it can only be properly appreciated from space!!! :confused:

Wait ... now some guy with a chyron crediting him as the author of a book on Atlantis is building a compelling case for alien visitation, and referencing the Greeks and the Chinese to clinch it!!!!! :facepalm:

I think my new avatar explains all your confusion, PoN. :haha:

Roy Hunter wrote:This.

That's really good. Just one complaint, although it's a minor one, but the cameraman could have cleaned the lens! :haha: Just kidding. That is a professionally made video you have there, Roy. :fsm_rock: *Ignores spelling mistake on name of video.*
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:*Ignores spelling mistake on name of video.*
Clear your cache and try again. It should now be fixed. That's the problem with doing stuff for 'Mate's Rates': none of the buggers can spell.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 am

More of This.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:03 am

Rainswept wrote:I love Tool, but Puscifer has yet to really draw me in. The truly wild thing about Maynard is that all these seemingly amazing lyrics keep turning out to be absolutely literal truth. "Judith" "Marie" is his mother, who was "broken down and paralyzed" after a stroke for approx 27 years (10,000 days). The man just has a way of telling those stories, with most people never imagining they are non-fiction.

I remember reading about that when the album came out. It's such a sad story, yet woven beautifully into the song. 10,000 Days is a great album. I tend to force myself to stop listening to Tool, as I just end up with their discography, or one or two albums, on repeat all day.

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:My "Beatles Chronology" playlist in Banshee (open-source Linux media player/manager).

You can't go wrong with The Beatles, although you've set yourself quite a task there, what with the chronological ordering. I usually stick to the albums, and listen to them as a whole. Are there any discernible patterns when listening the way you do, such as with the changing styles of music, or themes?

Roy Hunter wrote:Clear your cache and try again. It should now be fixed. That's the problem with doing stuff for 'Mate's Rates': none of the buggers can spell.

It's fine now, Roy. I'm liking the style of the band.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Awesome, Roy. Awesome.

But the tag in the video is misspelled too. www.unclevanya.com is a redirect to some personal family website. :nefyoobash:

Roland, like I said, I kept the albums together. It's a ROUGH chronology. The playlist is complete, and I'm most of the way through Rubber Soul already.

And I do notice patterns and evolution. There seems to be four groups of three albums, although I use the term "album" loosely, because I count Magical Mystery Tour as an album, but not Long Tall Sally or Yellow Submarine, simply by amount of new Beatles music on them. Period singles and other releases fit into these groups as well. There's blurring around the edges, but there's still noticeable shifts in style, in my opinion anyway. (Beatles fans on other websites have disagreed vehemently with me.)

The first three albums (Please Please Me, With The Beatles, and A Hard Day's Night) are mostly straight rock & roll, rhythm & blues, simplistic teenypop type stuff. The lyricwriting isn't especially skillful, although the music itself is excellent of course. There are a few more complex songs on AHDN, but they're in the minority.

The next three albums (Beatles For Sale, Help!, and Rubber Soul) incorporate a lot more country and folk influences, more subtle and skilled instrument playing, and much more complex lyrics. There's the beginnings of psychedelia on Rubber Soul, but it takes a dramatic, sudden step upward in the next three albums (Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Magical Mystery Tour). They essentially abandoned the folksy style to fully embrace studio trickery, complicated instrumentation, and disengage almost entirely from writing music for live performance, because they were no longer performing live. They dedicated their musical energy to the studio, and very new, unusual, and exciting styles of music were developed as a result.

Some people say the Beatles psychedelic period ended with Magical Mystery Tour, but it didn't. There's smatterings of psychedelic music on The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album) and Abbey Road, and even one on Let It Be. But those three albums are marked both by a dramatic, wild variation in styles throughout all three albums (especially the White Album and Abbey Road), as well as a drastic downshift in the mood of the records. They're much more subdued and subtle in mood and instrumentation, compared to the utter cheeriness of most of the psychedelic period.

I find it really fascinating, but a lot of people don't see the 3-3-3-3 breakdown the way I see it. It's a matter of opinion, I suppose.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 pm

"Happy Valentine's Day" By Andre 3000
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 pm

I haven't had a chance to listen to more Beatles today, but I still keep listening to "Willow Tree" and now I'm listening to "Hot Headed Woman" as well. It's not catchy like "Willow Tree" but it's good in a different way. You know, like nothing Pink Floyd does is catchy but it's still awesome. Not that Unkle Vanya is like Pink Floyd, but you know what I mean, right?

I sent Willow Tree to my sister and she said she liked it. Ashley liked it too, so I sent it to her a second time. Actually I had just forgotten I had already sent it to her. :idiot:

Don't mind my goofiness, I've had a bad day mentally. I slept for 11 hours and 45 minutes last night, and it's affected my mood badly. Now I'm getting tired again (sleeping too much makes you tired) so I'm going off to bed early again tonight, but this time I'm setting my alarm for 8:00.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 pm

The Fight Club soundtrack (by the Dust Brothers) - This Is Your Life - some notty words.

'Deliver me from Swedish furniture' is the best lyric I've heard all day :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm a little more than midway through Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It's a shame I couldn't listen to it straight through due to my walking schedule, but it's not a big deal seeing as I've listened to it straight through many, many times.

It's the first album Ashley and I listened to together, on our fourth date, our second date at my house. We sat quietly next to each other listening to it on my basement sofa. I was talking over it with my metacommentary like I always do, but she didn't mind. She surprised me when she put her head on my shoulder. I nervously asked if I could hold her hand and she said yes, so we did. When the album finished we played Wiz'N'Liz for the Sega Genesis. Then she had to go, and I hugged her and simply waved goodbye, but before she left she ran back in and kissed me because she was sick of waiting. It was a nice evening. :nostalgicfsm:
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors