Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:10 am

Gotta love that kid.

Friend turned me on to Nicholas Jaar. Nice house-like ambient electronica, got some Spanish in the lyrics, samples some old tunes sometimes. What's not to like?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Scuttlebuttin'. He could play a bit, could Stevie Ray. Not the greatest singer in the world, but arguably one of the best pickers.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 pm

In the white room,
with black curtains,
near the station,
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:59 am

pieces o'nine wrote:In the white room,
with black curtains,
near the station,
I played that for my first ever audition for a rock-n-roll band back in ninteen-mumblety-four. After we finished, the singer said "I think we're all agreed, you're good enough to join our band". Being sixteen and lacking the kind of self-confidence I grew into later, I failed to say "I agree that I am good enough, however you guys are rubbish. Come back when you've learned as much about musical discipline as you have about eyeliner". Six weeks later, I was poached away from them by another band who saw us play live, so it was all for the best in the end.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:45 am

Congrats, Roy! They at least served as good advertising for real music, even if they couldn't make it themselves, eh?

Listening to "Ritmo de la Noche" by Al Di Meola. I love his clean, soulful stylings. He also appears with the "triumvirate" of acoustic guitarists: Al, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucia. Here's a nice bit of pickin' and grinnin' for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ

The left-right sound channels in this track are reversed, so you have to turn your headphones around or swap speaker plug-ins to get the sounds matched to their playing positions.

Have I suggested this before? Hmm....
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:57 pm

I am currently working my way through the 500 best songs of all time. To be honest I'm starting them all but skipping the boring ones because I want to get to the top 30 by half 9 and then I'm going to beat children on Battlefield 3 :evilgrin:

Edit - Like a Rolling Stone the best song ever? Bollocks it is. There's at least 4 songs from Bringing it All Back Home and Highway 51 Revisited that are better than that. It's a good song, just not the best ever.

Edit again - I should know better than to read the music press.
Rolling Stone, on John Lennon's 'Imagine' wrote:We know it's better than that: an enduring hymn of solace and promise that has carried us through extreme grief, from the shock of Lennon's own death in 1980 to the unspeakable horror of September 11th. It is now impossible to imagine a world without "Imagine." And we need it, more than he ever dreamed.

Pretentious twats. I know plenty of people that have never heard Imagine and can imagine a world without it quite easily. It's a good song and one I happen to agree with but to claim it's an aural messiah is taking the piss.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:13 pm

There is no such thing as 'the best song ever'. It's like 'the best piece of cutlery ever' or 'the best hand tool ever'. A spoon is feck-all use if you want a knife. A screwdriver is completely inappropriate for banging in nails. You cannot compare Smells Like Teen Spirit with Solid Air: they address completely different parts of the human condition. Won't Get Fooled Again and Mack The Knife are not sharing much common ground. Still, lists like that are a good way to start conversations about music and / or art, so they're not all bad.

Fus Pose.

(this is not the best song ever either. but i like it right now)
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:There is no such thing as 'the best song ever'. It's like 'the best piece of cutlery ever'

The titanium spork. Well, I saw one being sold for £16, it must be good for that money, otherwise it would just be an overpriced pointy spoon... hang on :idiot:

Yes, the lists are a good way to a) get people talking about music (look, it's working) and b) get people listening to music they wouldn't normally. Still, there's a lot of pretentious wank written in them but I suppose music journalists can't just write 'It's a good song, listen to it you prat' :haha:

Having said that, Trick of the Light might be the best song ever.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby gronank on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:There is no such thing as 'the best song ever'. It's like 'the best piece of cutlery ever' or 'the best hand tool ever'. A spoon is feck-all use if you want a knife. A screwdriver is completely inappropriate for banging in nails. You cannot compare Smells Like Teen Spirit with Solid Air: they address completely different parts of the human condition. Won't Get Fooled Again and Mack The Knife are not sharing much common ground. Still, lists like that are a good way to start conversations about music and / or art, so they're not all bad.

I think the iPhone is the best hand tool ever. I don't personally own one but if it is not possible to bang nails with it, it's because there's no app for it yet.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:11 pm

gronank wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:There is no such thing as 'the best song ever'. It's like 'the best piece of cutlery ever' or 'the best hand tool ever'. A spoon is feck-all use if you want a knife. A screwdriver is completely inappropriate for banging in nails. You cannot compare Smells Like Teen Spirit with Solid Air: they address completely different parts of the human condition. Won't Get Fooled Again and Mack The Knife are not sharing much common ground. Still, lists like that are a good way to start conversations about music and / or art, so they're not all bad.

I think the iPhone is the best hand tool ever. I don't personally own one but if it is not possible to bang nails with it, it's because there's no app for it yet.

Oh, you can bang nails in with it. Lend it to me and I'll show you :haha:

PS - My sister's 'slam proof' cupboards weren't :idiot:

daftbeaker

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:17 pm

I attached a tube of No More Nails to the door of my tool cupboard. Wanna know how? :haha:
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:21 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I attached a tube of No More Nails to the door of my tool cupboard. Wanna know how? :haha:

With an Iphone? :evilgrin:

In other news I've given up on the top 500 but Deep Purple's Hush is good.

daftbeaker

Postby Arkaeon on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 pm

LIstening to Enya right now. More generally, I'm listening to a playlist on my itunes called "Kyrie's Lullaby" which includes Beethoven, Al Di Meola, Led Zeppelin, Vanessa Mae, Cat Stevens, Lanz & Speer, Robert Plant, and others.

Kyrie was my ex-wife's cat, named after an animal character from my first novel, and a fine judge of acoustic principles (having a sense of hearing about 100 times better than most humans). Songs on this playlist are those he judged worthy to take an afternoon nap to, including "Devil's Dance Floor" by Flogging Molly. Go figure.

I miss him a lot more than I miss her. I'm not sure what that says about whom...
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm

I would like to know how Roy managed to stick a tube of No More Nails to his tool...cupboard.

I am listening to Rumer: Seasons of my soul...I am chilled man, chilled.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Foster the People - Helena Beat
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors