How's your library?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: How's your library?

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:14 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:not one other person at the family's party had ever heard of it.

sigh.

...What?

Wha...? What? *Blank stare*

Never?

Something must be done of this.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:53 pm

That's why I quickly explained to him and his nonplussed parents that it's about *avoiding* conflict for success.

In retrospect, I should probably have implied that it was a missionary who helped old Sun Tzu see the light...
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:52 am

pieces o'nine wrote:That's why I quickly explained to him and his nonplussed parents that it's about *avoiding* conflict for success.

In retrospect, I should probably have implied that it was a missionary who helped old Sun Tzu see the light...

Arrrrr...tis the only book wot I have aboard the Big Brenda...none o the crew can read mind ye, we uses it to thwack kidnap victims around the head wiv...they appreciates the irony.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Arrrgh, that be a roight good sug jest chun, Barrrt. Oi foinds me hun abritched Canter Berry Tayles be a bit cumbersum t'swing 'rownd in crampt quarrrters.

('Ave ye evvir yused hit on that scurvy Zankou wen 'e were yer cabbin bouy? Sumwun 'as shur smackt sum sense inter 'im sumweares!)
pieces o'nine

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:07 pm

I was never anyone's cabin boy, thank-you-very-much..

*sticks out tongue in rebellious manner*
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby black bart on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:21 am

pieces o'nine wrote:Arrrgh, that be a roight good sug jest chun, Barrrt. Oi foinds me hun abritched Canter Berry Tayles be a bit cumbersum t'swing 'rownd in crampt quarrrters.

('Ave ye evvir yused hit on that scurvy Zankou wen 'e were yer cabbin bouy? Sumwun 'as shur smackt sum sense inter 'im sumweares!)

Aye matey...he learned all his Grammatical nonsense from me...took quite a few trips round the world ta even get him half literate.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby WelshRarePasta on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm embarrassed to estimate how many books I actually have (I tried cataloguing and counting once and failed miserably)... but, I can quantify it sort of this way: I currently have two full-sized floor to ceiling 4' wide bookcases filled up, and then a 10'X10'X8' storage space that is probably 75% full of boxes of nothing but books. And then all the books on my nightstand, computer desk, etc. Books everywhere basically. I can't seem to ever throw them away... seems like... blasphemy of some sort.

I've always dreamt of having a classic English-style Library, complete with glass-fronted cases, big leather-topped reading tables, overstuffed chairs. At the current rate, by the time I would have enough money to purchase a home with that sort of layout or build my own, I'll need 2 or 3 Library rooms to fit all my books ;/
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:39 am

WelshRarePasta wrote:I'm embarrassed to estimate how many books I actually have (I tried cataloguing and counting once and failed miserably)... but, I can quantify it sort of this way: I currently have two full-sized floor to ceiling 4' wide bookcases filled up, and then a 10'X10'X8' storage space that is probably 75% full of boxes of nothing but books. And then all the books on my nightstand, computer desk, etc. Books everywhere basically. I can't seem to ever throw them away... seems like... blasphemy of some sort.

I've always dreamt of having a classic English-style Library, complete with glass-fronted cases, big leather-topped reading tables, overstuffed chairs. At the current rate, by the time I would have enough money to purchase a home with that sort of layout or build my own, I'll need 2 or 3 Library rooms to fit all my books ;/

Don't do it matey...those classical style libraries are dangerous...someone always gets murdered with the lead piping in them.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Phlebas on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:14 am

Avast!!!

I've started downloading more and more ebooks. I find them convenient to read on the plane. My only problem is that once I've finished a good ebook, I feel compelled to go out a buy the hard copy version so I can put it on the shelf.

I've never been able to bring myself to throw out a book. I still have a hard cover "Yurtle the Turtle" book which I got when I was four. It's falling to pieces so I keep it in my bedside cabinet (so it's safe). I could get it repaired but then it wouldn't be the same.

I think it's the smell I like the most. Stand up right now and select a random book from your stash (older the better). Open it up halfway and stick your whole face in. Now give it a good sniff.

Ya just can't beat that smell.
Wake me at the zenith of the moon.

Phlebas The Phoenician

Ramen
Phlebas
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:58 am

Phlebas wrote:Avast!!!

I've started downloading more and more ebooks. I find them convenient to read on the plane. My only problem is that once I've finished a good ebook, I feel compelled to go out a buy the hard copy version so I can put it on the shelf.

I've never been able to bring myself to throw out a book. I still have a hard cover "Yurtle the Turtle" book which I got when I was four. It's falling to pieces so I keep it in my bedside cabinet (so it's safe). I could get it repaired but then it wouldn't be the same.

I think it's the smell I like the most. Stand up right now and select a random book from your stash (older the better). Open it up halfway and stick your whole face in. Now give it a good sniff.

Ya just can't beat that smell.

You are absolutely correct...I aquired "Marlborough's Battelfields' this afternoon for £2 (the money went to charity) and it smells like a good malt whisky.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby WelshRarePasta on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Wow, you guys hit it on the head. THis is, incidentally, why I think all the talk about digital technology heralding the end of print is nonsense. There will always be bibliophiles out there who understand that the smell and feel of old paper is part of the experience. Plus, it's just easier on the eyes to read from paper imo.

Good point about the library and pipe mate. I've decided to opt for the classic Babylonian library instead, and am currently transferring my 675 cubic feet of material to clay tablets.
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:51 pm

A little Yankee ingenuity will combine thee best of yer ideas, WelshRarePasta.

Transfer all yer books t'clay tablets, bake those tablets in a kiln t'form bricks, use thee bricks t'build yer library/house. Then sell orf yer hard copies t'thee bibliomanes amongst us an' use thee proceeds t'buy some leather-upholstered, wingback readin' chairs. Yer all set, mate.
pieces o'nine

Postby WelshRarePasta on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:17 pm

OMFSM, that's bloody brilliant! I think I'll be able to build quite a large palace with my tablets. And I'll use the proceeds from the book sale to put in stained glass windows and slate roofing. You want first dibs on my collection of rare 9th C Christian Theology, including *wink wink* beautiful hand-colored editions of City of God and The Confessions? I hear you got a thing for Augustine ;)

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Don' tempt me, man! Oi be onlie fleshe an bloode!

Duz ye 'ave ennyfing by Jeff Chosser?
pieces o'nine

Postby WelshRarePasta on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:21 pm

Absolutely, but I don't think I can bear to part with them. I've got the Riverside and Oxford editions of the complete works. And they are well dog-eared at this point.

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors