Rated "R" or not?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Rated "R" or not?

Postby Rainswept on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:52 am

OK there is a ton of discussion about whether Dark Knight should have gotten a stronger rating than "PG-13" in the US and "12A" in England. One review I read said:

ABC News wrote: it bears only a PG-13 rating, the same sticker slapped on "Mamma Mia!," whose most offensive scenes are arguably those of Pierce Brosnan singing.

I wanted to see what folks on here think.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: Rated "R" or not?

Postby MeatballEucharist on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:03 pm

I saw a movie called "This Film Is Not Yet Rated". It reveals some interesting points on the MPAA. Including a religeous connection to the rating process.
Beyond that I think Dark Knight is intesting in that it isn't explicitly violent but the actions and mood of the movie and it's presentation provided the emotional and dark weight without showing some of the glossed over violence scene. But I see nothing wrong with the movie as it is rated though I'm hopeing for an unrated DVD.
Jesus man! you dont look for acid! acid finds you when *it* thinks you're ready.
-Hunter S Thompson
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins.
-Christopher Hitchens
A lot of people pass through the thinking I'm a guru and take enough trips to understand that no, I was just a witness. I was just a witness. -Terence McKenna
MeatballEucharist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:22 pm

To my knowledge, they never used the word "fuck," and none of the violence was really explicit. Any time the Joker was cutting on someone the camera moved away. The only thing that could've done it was Two-Face's face. However, you must recall that a decade ago, we saw someone literally ripped in half in The Lost World, and that was PG-13. There's been worse PG-13 movies.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:54 pm

I think that movies are getting made as PG-13 at a crazy rate tho, and it saddens me. I refused to watch a PG-13 Die-Hard for instance. I mean, they aren't doing anything wrong by catering to the highest number of people who see it, but by FSM I wish there were a few more movies made just for adults.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Good business states that if possible, cast the widest net you can with your product. You can't blame them. (PS. I do.)
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Edd on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:30 pm

It would be nice if it was more art than business.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:51 pm

Would be, but it's not. It's absolutely disgusting what the studio's have done, especially to film and music. At least comic books are typically allowed some freedom. Of course, they PG-13'd Mark Millar's run on The Authority, so nothing's safe anymore.

There is hope, though. Indie music and film, self-published authors, alternative comics, and free online art galleries are helping somewhat, even if it's harder to scrape through the filth and find the good stuff. At least it's not just a lukewarm gray paste, like mainstream stuff.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Capellini on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:00 pm

I am hoping that they will take the new tv rating system and extrapolate it to movies. By specifying more specifically WHAT is in the movie that you as a parent might want to be concerned with, it will allow (hopefully) for more creative freedom regarding the audiences you're courting.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby HeathenPastafarian on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Capellini wrote:I am hoping that they will take the new tv rating system and extrapolate it to movies. By specifying more specifically WHAT is in the movie that you as a parent might want to be concerned with, it will allow (hopefully) for more creative freedom regarding the audiences you're courting.

I haven't seen The Dark Knight yet. But....

But I think Cap's idea is a good one. Some parents care about their kids not seeing violence, others sex, etc and that way they maybe parents can make better decisions. I remember when American Pie came out, I was like 22 and parts of it embarassed me and I could not believe the kids that were there in the theater. Same with Kevin Smith movies....I love his movies (Chasing Amy, Mallrats, Clerks, etc), but Jay and Silent Bob is not a movie that I would let my young teenager see, it's rated R, yet the theater was filled with teenagers.

It's funny growing up, I was not allowed to watch the Dukes of Hazzard because the bad guys were the law enforcement officers and my mom didn't want my bro and I to get that idea; not to trust the police. Now my husband was allowed to watch Dukes, but he couldn't watch He-Man because it had to do with witchcraft and sorcery and his parents are fundamentalist Christians. I always crack up thinking about that difference in what was important to each parent.
-Stop using Jesus as an excuse for being a narrow minded bigot.
-Music was her life, the lyrics were her story.
-Be careful what you say, it may remind me of a song that needs to be sung.
-GOT JESUS? I thought you had him....shit!
-Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?
-My pit bull is my co-pilot.
-To err is human; to ARRGGHHH is pirate!
-Why do we kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong?
-Well behaved women rarely make history.
-Laughter: When a smile has an orgasm
-I'm not so good at the advice; can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
HeathenPastafarian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:03 am

A PG-13 rating for "The Dark Knight" seems just about right. The equivalent of that here in Aus is M, which just seems to fit the movie perfectly. Sure, it has dark themes, and will most likely scare the little kiddies, but it's not catered to a below 7 audience. It's made for teenagers and above. There's nothing explicit, like a man's head being chopped off, or any sex scenes.

Comparing "Mamma Mia" to "The Dark Night" in terms of rating is like comparing apples to oranges. They're completely different genres.

Edd wrote:It would be nice if it was more art than business.

That's why my favourite genre is arthouse. Movies that aren't generic, that often have wildly abstract concepts and visuals thrill me.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby GreenRain22 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:13 am

>.> I don't mind PG-13 ratings. Reason being is so that I can get into the movie theaters whenever my mom dosen't have time to watch it with me.

However, I DO mind whenever they cut out ANYTHING bad out of the movie to shorten it to PG-13. That sucks.

Ratings totally are connected with religion; I figured that out without watching the movie. (But the Not Yet Rated thing sounds interesting). In my eyes, a PG-13 Die Hard is good news for me: I can get in the theaters. But if they cut out any of the great cussing and violence, fooey on them.
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:10 am

And here was me thinking that European television was all enlightened and showed boobies, etc. on screen.

Maybe that's the Aussies.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:44 am

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:And here was me thinking that European television was all enlightened and showed boobies, etc. on screen.

Sadly, no.

You mean Euro Trip lied to me? How dare they!
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby WelshRarePasta on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:08 pm

I don't know, when I lived in the UK (1990s) they used to show unedited films on channel 4 all the time after 10pm. Sex, drugs, cursing, violence, got the whole gamut, and it was good. Think it was summer of 96 they showed every Kubrick film, unedited, uninterrupted, from his student days through his most recent at that time. Was brilliant.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Moral Minority on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:32 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:And here was me thinking that European television was all enlightened and showed boobies, etc. on screen.

Not even close, man.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors