Most overrated writers/books

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby WelshRarePasta on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 pm

aidiore wrote:im going to say (besides J.K Rowling)...well you probably never heard of him...because just like my old topic prove it...you dont know anything about colombia...or probably never had the oportunity to read one of his books...but Gabriel García Marquez just...bah..."El coronel no tiene quien les escriba" its one of the worst books i've ever read...i kind hope someone says to me...hey i've read all his books and he is great...you just dont understand him...but i know its hard...

and if you do know him...WHY YOU DIDNT MENTIONED IN MY POST ABOUT COLOMBIA?????? (i got a bad of impresion of you guys...jejeje...no really but i want to make you feel guilty)

DIE IN A FIRE!

*edit: Ok, maybe he's just better in translation ;) "El coronel..." is the only thing of his I've managed to get hold of in Spanish, and I still loved it! Garcia Marquez and Borges still my favorite two writers in Spanish and top-five writers of the world/all-time.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby aidiore on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:34 pm

borges is god...

but marquez...i mean...cien años de soledad...the one that made him win the nobel...it was cool...but the other things...i mean..c'mon...just as i said...im the only that hates his books...the rest of the world jus love him and thats cool...anyway i glad you know him...im really happy that at least on good person is famous around the world...not like that Shakira thing that is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!...shut up you racist b%@ch...i dont know why racist...but was a good adjective though
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby WelshRarePasta on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:09 am

lol... I think I've said elsewhere (likely in the 'best books thread') that Cien Anos de Soledad is a candidate for my favorite book of all time! Don't worry my friend, at least the literary types in the US know some Colombian other than Pablo Escobar! Garcia Marquez is extremely popular here. And yes, you are correct: if there is a God, then Borges is likely God.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Capellini on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 am

WelshRarePasta wrote:
aidiore wrote:im going to say (besides J.K Rowling)...well you probably never heard of him...because just like my old topic prove it...you dont know anything about colombia...or probably never had the oportunity to read one of his books...but Gabriel García Marquez just...bah..."El coronel no tiene quien les escriba" its one of the worst books i've ever read...i kind hope someone says to me...hey i've read all his books and he is great...you just dont understand him...but i know its hard...

and if you do know him...WHY YOU DIDNT MENTIONED IN MY POST ABOUT COLOMBIA?????? (i got a bad of impresion of you guys...jejeje...no really but i want to make you feel guilty)

DIE IN A FIRE!

LOL. Is that atheist for 'burn in hell'?
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Yes.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby aidiore on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:36 pm

Capellini wrote:
WelshRarePasta wrote:

DIE IN A FIRE!

LOL. Is that atheist for 'burn in hell'?

jejejejejjee...thats a good...but i prefer DIE IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF GAS AT HIGH TEMPERATURE...or just die
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Moral Minority on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:22 am

Agreed. Marquez is christshit.

ALso, Paulo Coelho.

Also, Erica Yong.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors