Star Trek

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Star Trek

Postby Valanthe on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 pm

I have to admit that the only reason I'm going to see the new film is due to a certain morbid curiosity. I do not have high hopes. It's not going to revitalize the franchise the way the higher-ups seem to think. Nemesis tanked, and I'm pretty sure that this one is going to tank.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:33 pm

I read somewhere that supposedly all of the even movies were at least decent, and all the odd movies sucked? Meh, I don't know, I only liked Wrath of Khan. But this one is odd.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Valanthe on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:16 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:I read somewhere that supposedly all of the even movies were at least decent, and all the odd movies sucked? Meh, I don't know, I only liked Wrath of Khan. But this one is odd.

This rule of thumb mainly applied to the classic Trek films, in other words, 1-6. Overall, I wasn't really happy with the Nextgen films.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Rainswept on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:29 am

Valanthe wrote:Overall, I wasn't really happy with the Nextgen films.

TNG films suffer because the show was probably the highest quality of all the various incarnations, so expectations are higher than it's easy to reach. There is a reason it took 20 years for them to have the balls to make a Simpsons Movie.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Valanthe on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:29 am

Quite possibly. I saw the Simsons movie, and quite liked it. Nemesis,on the other hand, sucked horribly.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Valanthe on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:36 pm

I saw the new Star Trek film in three times. I like it. It breaks the odd/even rule, and revitalizes the franchise quite nicely without stepping on toes. I will not do any spoilers, but I like it. I was expecting it to suck, but it turned out well. I even liked Scotty's pet...

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Valanthe wrote:Quite possibly. I saw the Simsons movie, and quite liked it. Nemesis,on the other hand, sucked horribly.

Marge: I hate being late!
Homer: Well I hate going. Why can't I worship the Lord in my own way, by praying like hell on my death bed?
Marge: Homer, they can hear you inside!
Homer: Relax! Those pious morons are too busy talking to their phoney-baloney God!
[the family enter the church to total silence and angry looks. They make their way to their pew]
Homer: How ya doin'? Peace be with you. Praise Jebus.

My mother turned the movie off at this point!

:grin:
Valanthe wrote:I saw the new Star Trek film in three times. I like it. It breaks the odd/even rule, and revitalizes the franchise quite nicely without stepping on toes. I will not do any spoilers, but I like it. I was expecting it to suck, but it turned out well. I even liked Scotty's pet...

Good to know. On an unrelated note....Where ya been Val? Missed you!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Valanthe on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:07 pm

It's good to be back. I was having problems logging on to the server, so I decided to wait it out. I didn't mean to stay away so long, but I've been looking for steady work, plus moderating on another board . I'll try to stick around this time! :smile:

Referring back to Star Trek, the new film has made more money than any previous ST films. I'm actually hoping for a sequel. Me, of all people!

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors