Star Trek

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Star Trek

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:49 am

lordpunkmonk wrote:voyager is the only one I have access to and therefore the only one I can rate

I really like it.

It is amazing and I really like it.

Finally, you say something that makes me like you.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Star Trek

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:And don't forget that TNG had one Will Riker.

Pfffttt! Please, give me a break! I meant hunky guys! (Or at least cute and nerdy. Bashir was OK, I guess. ) Riker was supposed to be the heartthrob, but until he grew the beard, I didn't even want to look. And every time Picard left him in charge of the ship, something terrible happened to it!

Oh, and actually TNG had two Will Rikers.


Riker with the beard was hot, at least in my opinion.

And no, it only had one Will Riker. It also, however, had a Thomas Riker.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Star Trek

Postby Rainswept on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:09 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Ubi Dubium wrote:Oh, and actually TNG had two Will Rikers.


Riker with the beard was hot, at least in my opinion.

And no, it only had one Will Riker. It also, however, had a Thomas Riker.


I'm with Ubi on this one, I happened to watch that episode last night. 2 Wills, one just decided to go by Thomas.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
 
Posts: 9016
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: Star Trek

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:08 pm

Meh, my bad. I haven't watched any Star Trek in over a year and a half, so I defer to your superior nerdiness.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Star Trek

Postby Valanthe on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Voyager definitely had some great moments, I won't argue with that. All the Star Trek series had some good episodes in their runs, but the question is whether of not the rest of the episodes are worth watching to get to the goodies. :wink:
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
User avatar
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 am
Location: a theoretical absurdity

Re: Star Trek

Postby Capellini on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:40 pm

He started the episode as Will, he ended it as Thomas. But genetically, they're both Will.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
User avatar
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart
 
Posts: 4185
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: The State of Denial

Re: Star Trek

Postby black bart on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:24 am

Capellini wrote:He started the episode as Will, he ended it as Thomas. But genetically, they're both Will.


That is completely illogical captain.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
 
Posts: 25876
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: Star Trek

Postby Ubi Dubium on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 am

black bart wrote:
Capellini wrote:He started the episode as Will, he ended it as Thomas. But genetically, they're both Will.


That is completely illogical captain.

Logic is a little bird tweeting in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers that smells bad.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
User avatar
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: This is my brain, and I live in it.

Re: Star Trek

Postby PinkyPasta on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:35 pm

TOS was definately the best. Of course it was weak in writing, acting, set design, editing, etc. But that wasn't the point. It was great because it was so unique and strange and ahead of its time. It has created a generation of scientists that want to make Star Trek - or bits of it anyway- real. Well, that and I fell in love with Captain Kirk at age six (reruns!) and have never gotton over him. Will Riker is sexy in a beard, if you think of the possibilities.... :wink:
PinkyPasta
Conchigliette Convert
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:45 pm

Re: Star Trek

Postby Valanthe on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:59 am

black bart wrote:
Capellini wrote:He started the episode as Will, he ended it as Thomas. But genetically, they're both Will.


That is completely illogical captain.


Spoiler alert(if you haven't seen the episode)!
Due to a freak transporter accident several years prior to Riker's transfer to the Enterprise, he was split into 2 identical people. When the Enterprise encountered this Riker, they brought him on board, cleaned him up, he survived until the end of the episode and decided to go his own way, using the middle name Thomas (William Thomas Riker) to avoid confusion. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Thomas joining the Ma'qui (sp.?) later on.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
User avatar
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 am
Location: a theoretical absurdity

Re: Star Trek

Postby vedekcobol on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:52 am

I want to present myself as the Trek geek in my area I am surpassed by only an older friend of mine who was born during Treks 2 season, however in my Opinion the run down is something like this:

Star Trek: TOS A MUST SEE!!!
Star Trek: TAS SKIP MOST OF THE EP. with the exception being The Counter-Clock Incident, and Yesteryear.
Star Trek: TNG slow until the 3rd season
Star Trek: DS9 Fantasic job, great character development the story arc's are wonderful and the space battles are great eye candy. ala star wars in a way
Star Trek VOY skip until about the 5 season then jump on board
Enterprise well what can I say it was cool to see the meeting of some of the familiar races but the story acrs sucked and the plots were total @#%$^.
User avatar
vedekcobol
Ziti Zealot
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 am
Location: Far Side of the moon

Re: Star Trek

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:57 am

vedekcobol wrote:I want to present myself as the Trek geek in my area I am surpassed by only an older friend of mine who was born during Treks 2 season, however in my Opinion the run down is something like this:

Star Trek: TOS A MUST SEE!!! K.
Star Trek: TAS SKIP MOST OF THE EP. with the exception being The Counter-Clock Incident, and Yesteryear. K.
Star Trek: TNG slow until the 3rd season Alright, if you think the first three seasons of TNG are not as good as TOS, you are on CRACK.
Star Trek: DS9 Fantasic job, great character development the story arc's are wonderful and the space battles are great eye candy. ala star wars in a way Meh. w/e
Star Trek VOY skip until about the 5 season then jump on board ....no. You are wrong. Voyager was gripping from the beginning. You fail at Star Trek.
Enterprise well what can I say it was cool to see the meeting of some of the familiar races but the story acrs sucked and the plots were total @#%$^. Yeah...
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Star Trek

Postby vedekcobol on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
vedekcobol wrote:I want to present myself as the Trek geek in my area I am surpassed by only an older friend of mine who was born during Treks 2 season, however in my Opinion the run down is something like this:

Star Trek: TOS A MUST SEE!!! K.
Star Trek: TAS SKIP MOST OF THE EP. with the exception being The Counter-Clock Incident, and Yesteryear. K.
Star Trek: TNG slow until the 3rd season Alright, if you think the first three seasons of TNG are not as good as TOS, you are on CRACK.
Star Trek: DS9 Fantasic job, great character development the story arc's are wonderful and the space battles are great eye candy. ala star wars in a way Meh. w/e
Star Trek VOY skip until about the 5 season then jump on board ....no. You are wrong. Voyager was gripping from the beginning. You fail at Star Trek.
Enterprise well what can I say it was cool to see the meeting of some of the familiar races but the story acrs sucked and the plots were total @#%$^. Yeah...


Voyager gripping ok,the only thing gripping in voyager was the way it stayed on the air for 7 years. I must be on crack cause yeah most of the TNG ep from the first 3 yaers were nothing more than rehashed TOS ep. BOREING " If Riker has no beard turn the channel."
User avatar
vedekcobol
Ziti Zealot
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 am
Location: Far Side of the moon

Re: Star Trek

Postby vedekcobol on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:13 am

One second season ep. I did like was called " The Child, and another one from first season called The BIg Goodbye was a great ep.
User avatar
vedekcobol
Ziti Zealot
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 am
Location: Far Side of the moon

Re: Star Trek

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:34 am

vedekcobol wrote:One second season ep. I did like was called " The Child, and another one from first season called The BIg Goodbye was a great ep.

The Big Goodbye was fun, but it illustrates a basic repeating theme of many episodes of the newer series:
The Holodecks are nothing but trouble! Stay the heck off them! You'll be trapped, or addicted, or a character will become sentient and take over the ship, or an alien will take them over, or something! Shut the damn things down!

Scott Adams (Dilbert) has called holodecks the "last invention", because once they are created, humankind will go in and never come out. Nobody will have any reason to invent anything else ever again.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
User avatar
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: This is my brain, and I live in it.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron