Star Trek

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Star Trek

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:10 am

Well, I did like this...

Other than that, they suck.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Elastoman on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:26 pm

Moral Minority wrote:
Elastoman wrote:Finally, a word of truth.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Image:Kirk_awesome.jpg

Uncyclopedia is an idiotic and unfunny ripoff from http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com

(Caution - off topic comment ahead!)

Riiight....let's make something clear here. When, in the spirit of good humor, someone (me, in this case) posts a link to an image, it is not by any means an advertisement for the source, its just an image. Also - sniping little comments like this one make me very angry. They add nothing. If you have a reason for your opinion, give it. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

(Done with that bit....)

Back on topic - Watched Kill Bill 1&2 again this weekend, and Real Genius, and something else, but I was several sheets to the wind when I watched it (and spent most of the movie on my balcony watching the rain instead) so I don't really remember what it was.

Heh...."I drank what?" Classic.

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Rainswept on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:Well, I did like this...

Oh, well, that was..um, wait... I forget... um... I better go look again.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:16 am

ARGH !

Thee watch be at attenshun !
Thee other hands are below decks , washin' up .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Valanthe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:45 am

I've been a Star Trek fan for years, and I'm aware people on this thread will disagree with my opinion, but here goes:

TOS: decent, except for season 3, esp. Spock's Brain
TNG: good
DS9: only watched 'til season 3, but that was decent
VOY: bleah
ENT: good actors, lousy scripts

ST:TMP: ZZZZZZ.....
ST II: rocked!
ST III: meh
ST IV: OK
ST V: dear god...
ST VI: good
ST: Generations: meh.
ST: First Contact: 2 really good scenes, the rest was OK
ST: Insurrection: ick
ST:Nemesis: yuck

A bit of trivia: the failure of Nemesis is what lost us the Romulan War on Enterprise, since the execs thought the movie failed because the fans were "tired of Romulans". Idiots.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 am

OK, I'm going to show my age here. I watched TOS before it was in reruns. (OK, so I was three when it premiered, but still.) I vividly remember as a child being very worried for weeks that Dr. McCoy was dying, because I had missed the end of the episode where his Xenopolycythemia was cured. The third season had a few klunkers, but overall it was far ahead of any other SF show of the time. (So that makes me a "Trekkie" and not a "Trekker", thank you).

Elementary school - we ALL watched the reruns. We memorized the reruns. Before cable and internet, we got home from school, and the TV offered us Flintstones reruns, Banana Splits reruns, and Star Trek reruns. So either mind-numbing tripe, or Star Trek. They tried an animated series, but it just didn't cut it. Flat boring animation, Majel Barrett and James Doohan voicing pretty much every alien, just didn't fill the void.

We were SO excited when the first movie was coming out! And then it was SO dull, and un-Star-Trek like. Joy returned with Khan, and the subsequent even-numbered films.

TNG - again SO excited to have a series back. But the first season was pretty lame - you would think they would have gotten science-fiction writers, but no. Third season was when it started to really rock. "Best of Both Worlds" is probably my favorite.

DS9 - good from the start. A few weaknesses - it got very soap-opera-ish toward the end. If you missed a week, you were pretty lost. But overall, solid. Sisko rocks, and the Ferengi crack me up. And I can never get enough of Worf. (OrTribbles!)

VOY - Basically flawed premise. Sending them out, getting them lost, and putting them on a possibly endless voyage back home. Lost in Space, Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica, sorry it's been done. Besides that, however, good characters, good aliens, good writing. I like it, even if I would have given it a different basic premise.

ENT - never managed to get interested in this one. I've seen a few, and they're OK. But it's just too limited. Anybody that we "meet for the first time" in the other series is unavailable here. And if we meet any really interesting new aliens, then it's inconsistent that we don't see them in the other series. They just limited the scope of their creativity too much by backtracking.

TNG movies - mostly OK I suppose. I haven't managed to see Insurrection yet, and Nemesis was disappointing. (They got the wrong actor for the Picard Clone. The kid who played Picard's nephew Rene, and then played 12-year-old Picard in a later episode - that's who they needed.)

Now for a new series, they should go outside of StarFleet. The Federation has got to be full of civilian shipping and passenger liners, but we rarely meet any of them. I want a series where we do.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:29 am

Star Trek's pretty hit and miss for me. TNG is my favorite, but admittedly I've seen far more of that than any of the others. I saw only part of the first season of DS9 and didn't care for it. Too cheesy and far too predictable. I will say that the later series' had hotter and hotter women. Dax and T'Pol are more than a little better looking than Uhura or Troy IMO.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:04 pm

Rainswept wrote:Star Trek's pretty hit and miss for me. TNG is my favorite, but admittedly I've seen far more of that than any of the others. I saw only part of the first season of DS9 and didn't care for it. Too cheesy and far too predictable. I will say that the later series' had hotter and hotter women. Dax and T'Pol are more than a little better looking than Uhura or Troy IMO.

Yes, but in the later series, where are the hunky guys getting their shirts ripped off? TOS certainly had way more of that. (And you must not have seen much of Voyager, because you didn't mention Seven of Nine!)

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:06 pm

And don't forget that TNG had one Will Riker.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:27 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:And don't forget that TNG had one Will Riker.

Pfffttt! Please, give me a break! I meant hunky guys! (Or at least cute and nerdy. Bashir was OK, I guess. ) Riker was supposed to be the heartthrob, but until he grew the beard, I didn't even want to look. And every time Picard left him in charge of the ship, something terrible happened to it!

Oh, and actually TNG had two Will Rikers.

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Capellini on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:OK, I'm going to show my age here. I watched TOS before it was in reruns. (OK, so I was three when it premiered, but still.) I vividly remember as a child being very worried for weeks that Dr. McCoy was dying, because I had missed the end of the episode where his Xenopolycythemia was cured. The third season had a few klunkers, but overall it was far ahead of any other SF show of the time. (So that makes me a "Trekkie" and not a "Trekker", thank you).

Elementary school - we ALL watched the reruns. We memorized the reruns. Before cable and internet, we got home from school, and the TV offered us Flintstones reruns, Banana Splits reruns, and Star Trek reruns. So either mind-numbing tripe, or Star Trek. They tried an animated series, but it just didn't cut it. Flat boring animation, Majel Barrett and James Doohan voicing pretty much every alien, just didn't fill the void.

We were SO excited when the first movie was coming out! And then it was SO dull, and un-Star-Trek like. Joy returned with Khan, and the subsequent even-numbered films.

TNG - again SO excited to have a series back. But the first season was pretty lame - you would think they would have gotten science-fiction writers, but no. Third season was when it started to really rock. "Best of Both Worlds" is probably my favorite.

DS9 - good from the start. A few weaknesses - it got very soap-opera-ish toward the end. If you missed a week, you were pretty lost. But overall, solid. Sisko rocks, and the Ferengi crack me up. And I can never get enough of Worf. (OrTribbles!)

VOY - Basically flawed premise. Sending them out, getting them lost, and putting them on a possibly endless voyage back home. Lost in Space, Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica, sorry it's been done. Besides that, however, good characters, good aliens, good writing. I like it, even if I would have given it a different basic premise.

ENT - never managed to get interested in this one. I've seen a few, and they're OK. But it's just too limited. Anybody that we "meet for the first time" in the other series is unavailable here. And if we meet any really interesting new aliens, then it's inconsistent that we don't see them in the other series. They just limited the scope of their creativity too much by backtracking.

TNG movies - mostly OK I suppose. I haven't managed to see Insurrection yet, and Nemesis was disappointing. (They got the wrong actor for the Picard Clone. The kid who played Picard's nephew Rene, and then played 12-year-old Picard in a later episode - that's who they needed.)

Now for a new series, they should go outside of StarFleet. The Federation has got to be full of civilian shipping and passenger liners, but we rarely meet any of them. I want a series where we do.

You're worried about revealing your age? With a reference to xenopolycythemia you should be worried about revealing your nerdiness.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Capellini wrote:You're worried about revealing your age? With a reference to xenopolycythemia you should be worried about revealing your nerdiness.

I'm here. Nerdiness confirmed.

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby GreenRain22 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:59 pm

14 years old and I'm an utter Star Trek geek. Heck, I CREATED this topic. Nwah. :P
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby Valanthe on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:04 pm

The concept behind Voyager has finally been put into perspective...I never thought of it that way before, but I guess the similarities to Lost in Space, et al was pretty obvious in retrospect. As for DS9, I have to admit I tended to watch Babylon 5 for my "people on a space station" fix. :wink:
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:41 am

voyager is the only one I have access to and therefore the only one I can rate

I really like it.

It is amazing and I really like it.
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors