El Orfanato kicked my ass. A lot.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

El Orfanato kicked my ass. A lot.

Postby Tiffy-o on Wed May 28, 2008 6:18 pm

Love Guillermo del Toro. I though Pan's Labyrinth delivered a good ass-whooping. But El Orfanato--ripped my heart out, ran over it, then backed up. Beautiful cinematography, wonderous story, killer effing ending. Thought it was going to be like every other cheesy/overly gory horror flick out these days--but then again I forgot who produced the damn thing.

Guillermo del Toro flicks, anyone?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464141/
Lady of the Words of Power
Tiffy-o
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby his divine noodle on Thu May 29, 2008 1:10 am

Truly a wonderful film, but it freaked me out about 60 times :p
his divine noodle
Ziti Zealot

Postby ChowMein on Thu May 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Sounz good , tanks m8 !
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Re: El Orfanato kicked my ass. A lot.

Postby LuckyLuigi on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:52 pm

I was a bit disappointed after the brilliant previous film Pan's Labyrinth which I did think was excellent.
But I hate ghost stories, they're so boring, what can I say ? My pal who was with me thought is was brilliant tough.
LuckyLuigi
Conchigliette Convert

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:23 pm

Hellboy 2.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:15 am

I haven't seen the Orphange or Hellboy 2 yet but if it's Guillermo del Toro I will make sure I get round to it. The clips I've seen of the Orphanage so far remind me of a short story by the greatest ghost story writer of all time MR James...'Lost Hearts'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:07 pm

I got bored with the Orphanage about 3/4 way through because a) I saw it in a crappy art-house theater and b) I thought I had it figured out. I was pleasantly surprised, however, with the ending... the film doesn't even compare Pan's Labrynth for me, but the Orphanage is about the only 'ghost' film I've ever seen that I liked at all. So, since with the distractions of bad sound in the theater, several drunk people around me, and the static of my own preconceptions, I'm gonna have to rent it... definitely worth seeing twice imo.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:54 am

Just watched it last night. When I thought of it as a horror film, I was bored. The thing is, it wasn't. When I figured that out, I fell in love with it. It was absolutely beautiful.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors