Gifted Programs.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:I agree with you, MM.

It can't be good, because before the age of five, the stem cells in your brain need to be distributed. TV means that these stem cells aren't distributed. That's why lots of kids are dumb. Their parents just plonk them in front of the TV for hours on end. Their brains aren't stimulated, they end up with poor senses, and poor mental capabilities.

My parents gave me books. I was reading before I could talk. I probably wasn't interpreting anything, but I still had the stimulation.

My mom read to me almost every night when I was little.

I was walking at 9 months and talking at less than a year, I think.

I learned to read at 6. My fisrt book was about the three little pigs. Then I started reading "chapter books" as I called them. Soon I was reading encyclopaedias and atlases.

Kids encyclopaedias, but encyclopaedias nonetheless.

Harry Potter opened the world of true literature for me when I was 7 or 8.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:33 pm

My parents gave me that Hooked on Phonics stuff when I was in pre-k. I am so grateful for that. I've been reading and comprehending at a higher level than my peers ever since.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Wawizzle wrote:My parents gave me that Hooked on Phonics stuff when I was in pre-k. I am so grateful for that. I've been reading and comprehending at a higher level than my peers ever since.

Pfft.

"Hooked on Phonics"...puh-lease.

I was past that.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:56 pm

Zenkou wrote:
Wawizzle wrote:My parents gave me that Hooked on Phonics stuff when I was in pre-k. I am so grateful for that. I've been reading and comprehending at a higher level than my peers ever since.

Pfft.

I was past that.

Lmfao. Wow.

I'll tell you what though: things would be a lot better if more kids went through some kind of reading program similar to Hooked on Phonics. The reading test scores are abysmal in Florida. That, compiled with hearing my fellow students read aloud is horrendous.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:02 am

Zenkou wrote:Harry Potter opened the world of true literature for me when I was 7 or 8.

Me too.

I used to go over to my Nanna and Poppy's house. They had heaps of encyclopaedias, which I would read. When they moved my mother threw them out. I was so sad.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:41 pm

There is a bad side to being advanced.

Whaddaya think you're gonna do in high school?

My peers are already driving.

I have to wait another year or two.

Do you have any idea how much that royally sucks?

Of course, I can still drive, but only if I don't shave for a week.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:11 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:There is a bad side to being advanced.

Whaddaya think you're gonna do in high school?

My peers are already driving.

I have to wait another year or two.

I always wondered about that. The school wanted to advance me two years, and my grandmother refused to let them. I always daydreamed how different school might have been.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:12 pm

Wawizzle wrote:
Zenkou wrote:

Pfft.

I was past that.

Lmfao. Wow.

I'll tell you what though: things would be a lot better if more kids went through some kind of reading program similar to Hooked on Phonics. The reading test scores are abysmal in Florida. That, compiled with hearing my fellow students read aloud is horrendous.

AAAUAGH *twitch*

Please don't mention hearing other students read aloud.

It's like nails on a freakin' chalkboard.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Wawizzle on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Please don't mention hearing other students read aloud.

I almost used that comparison in my original post. Lol
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Cryofdragon on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:34 pm

My school didn't really have a gifted program that I was aware of, of course, I don't remember much before about 6th grade, but that's besides the point. I did, at two separate points, get pulled aside and asked if I would like to skip a grade in math and the sciences. Each time they inquired, I found that I would have to learn the missed material in the grade I was skipping over the summer, and each time I took a pass because of that. I now wish I hadn't, but what ya gonna do?
Still Alive.
Cryofdragon
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby aaRghNAbled on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Moral Minority wrote:
Wawizzle wrote:
While I understand the benefits of compiling everybody in one class... I really miss being in gifted classes. I really feel my education is being affected by having to slow myself down for other people. It really sucks sometimes when my motivation is ruined out of politeness to others.

The alternative is to be the best and be hated by all the others.

Tall poppy syndrome. I have suffered from it since kindergarten.

Don't suffer. Feel the glory!
aaRghNAbled
Stele Second Mate

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:29 am

Wawizzle wrote:

I almost used that comparison in my original post. Lol

Sigh. There are people in my grade that are sixteen and still can barely read, and who don't know what a bar graph is.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:46 am

At Our Lady of Perpetual Punishment and Sorrowful Mortification, Sr. Torquemada had a stack of index cards on her desk, one student name per card. During Reading class, she would take the top card, turn it over, intone the name thereon, and that student was expected to continue reading aloud.

STEPHEN
The...g...gr...gray?...ka...kang...kang...kangle...KANGAROO...kangrew...
C...Ca...Can't...t...ta...tack...uh...take...it...any...any...mo...more?...
Must...re...red?...READ...read...a...ahead...
YES! Much better to read the story as it was written, for crissakes and get something out of it. Reading, reading, a whole chapter ahead now, reading. Almost makes a pleasant morning here at Our Lady of Perpetual Punishment and Sorrowful Mortification.
PIECES O'NINE
crap.

** pieces stands for rest of day in punishment for "being unable to keep up" **
** Also adds ten thousand years to future sentence in Purgatory, for disobeying a nun ::
** pieces spent most of 4th grade standing up **
** 'Tall' Poppy by default, ha ha **

:fsm_yarr:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:51 am

pieces o'nine wrote:

At Our Lady of Perpetual Punishment and Sorrowful Mortification, Sr. Torquemada had a stack of index cards on her desk, one student name per card. During Reading class, she would take the top card, turn it over, intone the name thereon, and that student was expected to continue reading aloud.

STEPHEN
The...g...gr...gray?...ka...kang...kang...kangle...KANGAROO...kangrew...
C...Ca...Can't...t...ta...tack...uh...take...it...any...any...mo...more?...
Must...re...red?...READ...read...a...ahead...
YES! Much better to read the story as it was written, for crissakes and get something out of it. Reading, reading, a whole chapter ahead now, reading. Almost makes a pleasant morning here at Our Lady of Perpetual Punishment and Sorrowful Mortification.
PIECES O'NINE
crap.

** pieces stands for rest of day in punishment for "being unable to keep up" **
** Also adds ten thousand years to future sentence in Purgatory, for disobeying a nun ::
** pieces spent most of 4th grade standing up **
** 'Tall' Poppy by default, ha ha **

I know exactly what you mean, but thank goodness the nuns are gone.

I never got in trouble, I just explained that I was reading ahead, because they were slow, and offered to read teh entire book aloud for them.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:41 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:I never got in trouble, I just explained that I was reading ahead, because they were slow, and offered to read teh entire book aloud for them.

Either your nuns weren't Dominicans, or they were ... not Dominicans. I assure you that NO BODY would have thought of offering such a reply to Sr. Torquemada. The consquences would have been too horrible to even contemplate! And your parents would have beat you to death when you got home in solidarity with the school.

Ah, those were the days...

I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors