PREVIOUS television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:20 am

Nichelle Nichols wanted to quit her job on TOS, but she received a phone call one day asking her not to, because she was the only black woman on TV portrayed in a position of power. Seeing as the person who called her was Martin Luther King, she agreed and continued in her role, and went on to have the first ever interracial kiss on television.

It has been suggested that TOS was cancelled, not because Shatner was a raging egomaniac, but because it was too political and controversial for the networks. What if they started saying that Commies were just ordinary people like Murkins? How would we make them afraid of each other?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby gronank on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:That's pretty much it, Gronank, but Gene Roddenberry wanted to be able to use TOS to openly discuss relevant issues on our planet without them seeming too obvious, hence the sci-fi medium. He tackled all forms of bigotry, even filming the first inter-ethnic kiss (Kirk/Uhura). Both actors also really wanted this to happen (I don't blame Shatner, as Nichelle Nichols was sexy back in the day), even to the point of sabotaging far tamer versions filmed afterwards (studio execs getting uppity). What other programme on TV at that time had a non-human, a Russian, a Japanese person, and a black woman in positions of authority? None. TOS set the bar, and it set it damn high. :fsm_float:

The pilot had set the bar even higher. Majel Barrett who played nurse Chapel in the series was first officer in the pilot. Japanese, russian, black or alien, it all worked, the network only really fought having a woman second in command.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Indeed she was. I'd forgotten that. Another thing Gene Roddenberry fought the studio execs over was what the women would wear. He wanted them to wear trousers, as the men did, but they insisted on the mini-skirts, and wouldn't budge on it. This is why the mini-skirt is pretty ubiquitous throughout, and also one of the reasons Gene had a man in a mini-skirt appear briefly in Encounter at Farpoint in TNG.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ChowMein on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:Indeed she was. I'd forgotten that. Another thing Gene Roddenberry fought the studio execs over was what the women would wear. He wanted them to wear trousers, as the men did, but they insisted on the mini-skirts, and wouldn't budge on it. This is why the mini-skirt is pretty ubiquitous throughout, and also one of the reasons Gene had a man in a mini-skirt appear briefly in Encounter at Farpoint in TNG.

Yah
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 am

Women were not highly regarded in TOS, definitely. Even Uhura was not a strong character like the first officer in the pilot was. I believe she beamed down once and got the landing party into trouble somehow, and needed Mr. Manly Man Kirk to save the day. I could be remembering incorrectly though, it's been a while.

Also, Yeoman Janice Rand (I forget the name of the actress who played her) disappeared without explanation partway through the first season. The true explanation was she was fired for not putting up with sexual harassment and advances from the producers (of course with some made-up excuse to hide the truth of the matter). I believe Leonard Nimoy was a source of support for her, himself subject to frequent bothering (of a different sort) from William Shatner. Unfortunately his support wasn't enough to put a stop to the harassment. It's a shame, though I believe she got a role in a later series (TNG?), her character having been promoted to a higher position. She lost the beehive though.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:11 pm

I think she was in the first movie as the transporter chief or some other officer .
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:40 am

Unfortunately, such were the ethics of the time. It's nice to see attitudes have changed...
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:42 am

After the Virginia trip, the girlfriend observed that the Civil War was a huge part of U.S. history that her high school education mostly skimmed over, so we watched Ken Burns' documentary on it. The part that stuck out in my mind the most is that the vast majority of the confederate soldiers had never owned slaves, and there was even an exception for slave owners from conscription. Yet they fought anyway. Guess it's an American tradition to get swindled into fighting against your own economic interest in the name of an ill-defined culture war.

Seriously, you see these southerners with their "Heritage, not hate" confederate flag bumper stickers, and it's like, "Yeah, what heritage?" The whole southern system was basically a carbon copy of the British aristocracy. You know, the people the confederate soldier's grandfathers fought a way against.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 am

PKMKII wrote:After the Virginia trip, the girlfriend observed that the Civil War was a huge part of U.S. history that her high school education mostly skimmed over, so we watched Ken Burns' documentary on it. The part that stuck out in my mind the most is that the vast majority of the confederate soldiers had never owned slaves, and there was even an exception for slave owners from conscription. Yet they fought anyway. Guess it's an American tradition to get swindled into fighting against your own economic interest in the name of an ill-defined culture war.

Seriously, you see these southerners with their "Heritage, not hate" confederate flag bumper stickers, and it's like, "Yeah, what heritage?" The whole southern system was basically a carbon copy of the British aristocracy. You know, the people the confederate soldier's grandfathers fought a way against.

Yes and the British came very close to supporting the Confederates militarily.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby gronank on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Then they decided they didn't really want to: they prefered getting cotton from India and they didn't want to risk loosing canada.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:05 am

gronank wrote:Then they decided they didn't really want to: they prefered getting cotton from India and they didn't want to risk loosing canada.

:twisted: We still have Canada? Quebec here I come.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:33 am

oi fink so ...... eny weigh Queenie still be on alla our coinage an some of our paper munny .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby PKMKII on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Popular Mechanics put out a list of their 50 greatest sci-fi shows. The placement of number 6 and 3 is going to anger some fanboys.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:52 pm

PKMKII wrote:Popular Mechanics put out a list of their 50 greatest sci-fi shows. The placement of number 6 and 3 is going to anger some fanboys.

I'd stick Firefly at 1 and Doctor Who at 2. The rest of it can get bent.

Having looked at it again, a image of Thunderbirds flashed across quickly. Thunderbirds get number 3 (or maybe 2.5).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:31 pm

daftbeaker wrote:I'd stick Firefly at 1 and Doctor Who at 2. The rest of it can get bent.

Firefly was good, damn good. If it had run for 5+ seasons, there'd be an argument for no. 1. But one truncated season, a movie, and some comic books is simply not enough material to justify no. 1.

EDIT: noticed a conspicuous absence from the list, no Flash Gordon. Odd to not include that, which was a pioneer of the genre, but some of those crappy 70's/80s shows.

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors