CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:15 am

gronank wrote:Isn't Holmes supposed to be an opium addict? It might be a bit much to have a heroinist protagonist though.

This is a new Holmes for the 21st Century...he gets to meet naked ladies. Also Martin Freeman is the best Watson ever.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:33 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:35 am

I have discovered 'The Inbetweeners' on Channel 4...reminds me of when I was 15/16 in school.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby bacon on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:04 am

Walking Dead -- I'm loving the new season!

:lurk:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby black bart on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 am

bacon wrote:Walking Dead -- I'm loving the new season!

:lurk:

I shall be watching that when we finally get it over here...as long as it isn't on Sky.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 am

I loved the first season of The Walking Dead. It's nice to see the zombies getting their own television show now. It's been far too long.

Also Sherlock. I saw the first "series" (three episodes), but have yet to watch the rest. I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was a great Sherlock, with the correct mannerisms and attitude (aloof), with Martin Freeman a great Watson (confused and a little bumbling).
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:Also Sherlock. I saw the first "series" (three episodes), but have yet to watch the rest. I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was a great Sherlock, with the correct mannerisms and attitude (aloof), with Martin Freeman a great Watson (confused and a little bumbling).

It gets even better. The 4th episode is a little weak by the standards of the rest but 5 and 6 are just amazing. Have a (non-spoiler) quote from the 2nd series :haha:

John Watson to Sherlock wrote:I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're talking but usually it's just subtext
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:03 pm

:lol: I'm loving that quote. I need to see if it's still on the BBC iPlayer. If not, there are ways and means...
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Roland Deschain wrote::lol: I'm loving that quote. I need to see if it's still on the BBC iPlayer. If not, there are ways and means...

if for whatever reason you can't find it I could send you a link I downloaded in a dream that gave me the second series.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:25 am

Dirk Gently new series on BBC 4.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:47 pm

I've been watching CSI (all three series), NCIS (both series), and L&O:SVU (with Ashley). I like crime procedurals.

I was hesitant to watch NCIS, because I tried watching it once and it seemed way overacted and cheesy. I gave it another shot this past weekend though, and I enjoyed it.

It's strange. The same thing happened with CSI and L&O:SVU. The first episode I watched was overdramatic and overacted, so I stopped watching it. Then it turned out my first try with all three series were special, unrepresentative episodes, instances of the writers trying to be artsy for a chance of pace. Strange.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 pm

I've added Hawaii Five-0 to my list of crime procedurals now. Pretty good. I haven't seen the original show which I believe is differentiated from the new one by having a capital O instead of the number 0 which the new one has, but the new version is pretty good.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 pm

black bart wrote:Dirk Gently new series on BBC 4.

* is jealous *
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:52 pm

It's not quite current but this Horizon documentary about exercise (BBC Iplayer so UK residents only I'm afraid) was on last week and I meant to watch it but forgot :blush:

Anyway, the first few minutes look as promising as the advertising blurb and the intro music is Angel by Massive Attack which bodes well :zen:

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 am

daftbeaker wrote:It's not quite current but this Horizon documentary about exercise (BBC Iplayer so UK residents only I'm afraid) was on last week and I meant to watch it but forgot :blush:

Anyway, the first few minutes look as promising as the advertising blurb and the intro music is Angel by Massive Attack which bodes well :zen:

That's exactly what I look like in the gym...

I was going to watch that myself but I was too lazy.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors