CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby PKMKII on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Just finished up watching the latest season of the Mark and Olly show on the Travel Channel, two british guys go live in remote tribes and they make a TV show about it, one of those pop anthropology shows the kids love so much these days. This season was the Machigenga tribe in remote Peru, and I have to say I didn't like it as much as the previous season (the Mek tribe in Papua, Western New Guinea). I felt like it didn't give as deep a look into the nuances of the society, and was more about the frat boy-ish things the tribe made the two guys go through.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby eats a lot on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:30 pm

The 2 shows I make sure I see each week are Scrubs and 24. Scrubs is the funniest show ever created in my opinion and Jack Bauer, the main character of 24, is the most bitchinen badass that ever did was
OOPS! Zat vas not medicine
eats a lot
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Location: In the town where I was born.... lived a man who sailed to sea

Postby black bart on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:05 am

Last Episode of Dexter (series 2) last night...Long may he continue to dismember.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:31 am

black bart wrote:Last Episode of Dexter (series 2) last night...Long may he continue to dismember.

The third book sucked balls, I really hope the series doesn't follow in that direction. :whip:
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:31 pm

I just got into Dexter. It's kinda awesome.

Ah yes, and I watch Mythbusters (they recently blew up a car at the speed of sound, which was pretty cool), Surviving History (they dig up ancient weapons and stuff and recreate shit with powertools), Weaponmasters (great stuff, kinda self-explanatory), and other random shows.

Oh, and Planet Earth is amazing.

Don't even try to tell me that television today sucks.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:40 pm

I have a theory about the most recent episode of House, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone...
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:04 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:I just got into Dexter. It's kinda awesome.

Ah yes, and I watch Mythbusters (they recently blew up a car at the speed of sound, which was pretty cool), Surviving History (they dig up ancient weapons and stuff and recreate shit with powertools), Weaponmasters (great stuff, kinda self-explanatory), and other random shows.

Oh, and Planet Earth is amazing.

Don't even try to tell me that television today sucks.
No no no, it's mainstream television that kinda sucks. Most of it is utter shite. There are a few gems in the cowpile, like Scrubs and at least the first two seasons of House, but largely it's crap.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby ChowMein on Thu May 21, 2009 11:15 pm

The Nature Of Things , hosted by David Suzuki is starting this very moment .

Tonight's offering is , " the most serendipitous accidents in science " , this ought to be very interesting .
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby daftbeaker on Fri May 22, 2009 3:13 am

ChowMein wrote:The Nature Of Things , hosted by David Suzuki is starting this very moment .

Tonight's offering is , " the most serendipitous accidents in science " , this ought to be very interesting .

I'm willing to bet the discoveries of penicillin and chirality will be on it.

I've started getting into the Inbetweeners, it's a damn funny and extremely accurate depiction of life in SIxth Form. For anyone who doesn't know sixth form is between the equivalents of high school and college, attendance is voluntary but it's still a very school-like environment. Lots of attempting to have sex and get served in pubs with a realistic success rate (not very high).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Rainswept on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:27 pm

So, I've been watching DVD's of Desperate Housewives. It was the one show my ex-roommate and I both liked, and after the first season I got hooked on it, so now I'm watching the second season on my own.

Guess this qualifies as a guilty pleasure :guilty:
Rainswept

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 pm

I just started watching the first season of Dexter on Netflix. So far, I'm rather enjoying it.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:40 pm

Krod Mandoon and the flaming sword of fire. Thanks Bart, I went off and googled it. It's damn funny, Lord of the Rings meets dungeons and dragons done like Monty Python would have. Matt Lucas steals the show as the mad impulsive despot, a highlight being having a man shot for questioning his timekeeping, then immediately propositioning the dead man's daughter. When she breaks into tears he looks confused and says "Too soon?" :haha:

Oh, and Michael Gambon's the narrator.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:24 am

daftbeaker wrote:Krod Mandoon and the flaming sword of fire. Thanks Bart, I went off and googled it. It's damn funny, Lord of the Rings meets dungeons and dragons done like Monty Python would have. Matt Lucas steals the show as the mad impulsive despot, a highlight being having a man shot for questioning his timekeeping, then immediately propositioning the dead man's daughter. When she breaks into tears he looks confused and says "Too soon?" :haha:

Oh, and Michael Gambon's the narrator.

Glad someone else has found it...I can't wait for the next episode. My favourite character so far is Horst Draper. :haha:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Wow. The first post and this post (8 pages later) are basically the same. Bones.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Krod mandoon was pretty good. And yes the fat dude from Little Britain was the best!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors