Coke is getting into coffee

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

What do you think of Coca-Cola Selling Coffee

It's an abomination
44%
Sounds like a good thing
6%
I'll have to wait and see
50%

Total votes : 36

Coke is getting into coffee

Postby boghog on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:15 am

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing:

Coca-Cola brews up a coffee business
A five-year odyssey of globe-trotting and brainstorming leads to a `café in a box'

[...]

Faced with stagnating demand for soft drinks and increased competition in bottled water, Coca-Cola Co. set out to enter the lucrative, fast-growing market for premium hot brews.

But how to do that turned into a five-year odyssey that took a team of Coca-Cola executives around the globe and led to creation of an innovative concept dubbed "the café in a box."

Instead of tackling the premium-coffee market head on with a string of Starbuck's-like coffee shops, as some observers had expected, Coca-Cola decided to leverage its existing relationships in pop, water and juice.

By creating an easy to operate and maintain "box," Coca-Cola says, anyone from the convenience-store operator to the fine-restaurant chef can offer customers a range of premium specialty coffees and teas at the press of a button.

Coca-Cola will also supply the coffees, teas and hot chocolate that go into the box, under the brand name Far Coast for the higher-end leisure market, and Chaqwa for the convenience market.
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby His Worshipper on Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:14 pm

wat? that sounds stupid, of all people they make coffee...
:worship: the FSM!
His Worshipper
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:55 pm

It dosen't sound like its just "zomg we have to make coffee", but its a bona fide innovation.

one thing....

By creating an easy to operate and maintain "box," Coca-Cola says, anyone from the convenience-store operator to the fine-restaurant chef can offer customers a range of premium specialty coffees and teas at the press of a button.

we also have voice recognition software, which could be used instead of a button.

star trek anyone?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:07 pm

Isn't this reinventing the wheel? I've seen apparently similar machines in corporate offices. There's no doubt the branding will help them dominate the market, but it's just a coffee machine at the end of the day, no?
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:03 am

Here in Oklahoma, Quick-Trip corporation is 'waaaaay ahead of Coke-corp on this one.

Several years ago, QT did a major stores-wide remodel, and installed a whole bank of coffee dispensers. Between each bank, is a "flavor machine" and a bank of alternative-to-coffee-hot-drink dispensers.

Thus, when you go into QT for a quick cuppa-joe, you're faced with a plethora of coffees, flavorings, hot-chocolates and other hot-drink choices.

As for me: I LIKE it! I'm one who prefers VERY dark coffee, the darker the better. With the choices available, I usually have one that is about 1/2 dark enough for me :D

And, I just love a squirt of chocolate in my coffee, and that is available, too.

All at the reasonable price of $0.60 (that's for a refill, what else would a liberal, earth-hugger do, mmm? :roll: )
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby darren996 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:29 pm

In Japan they have drink machines all over the place. You can get hot coffee, cold coffee and even cold beer on just about any street corner in town. Coca-cola must be trying to do the same thing in the US.
Suspicion breeds confidence!
darren996
The Pan

Postby Al Dante on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:22 pm

I'm very disappointed in this topic. When I read the thread title, I thought you were going to report that cocaine was contaminating the coffee supply (and asking whether that was a good thing or a bad thing).

- tropicAL
God gave us about 18 million bits of Scripture, and vastly greater numbers of bits of nature. Scripture had to be stated in imperfect human language; nature did not. Scripture had to be composed to be comprehensible to people with primitive technology; nature did not. Scripture can be altered by self-serving humans; nature is there to be observed anew by anyone. Scripture threatens death if you transgress certain laws; nature just kills you if you transgress certain laws. When Scripture and nature seem to conflict, which do you think should be taken literally?
Al Dante
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Etay on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:03 pm

Personally, I couldn't care less. If it's horrible, I won't drink it, let alone buy it. If it's good, I might give it a try.
O rly?
Yarrly!
Etay
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:34 pm

Sooooo.... if Coke moves into selling coffee.... that's more trade unionists and "dangerous" peasant farmers they can be involved in persecuting, torturing and murdering. (allegedly)

http://www.killercoke.org/

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Return to Food