To anyone who is living or has ever lived in England

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

English food

Postby FloridaJudy on Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:14 am

Ya gotta love the names!

Toad in the Hole
Bangers and Mash
Bubble and Squeak
Spotted Dick
Roly Poly Pudding
Pork Faggots

(none of these are salacious, though their edibility may be questionable)
FloridaJudy
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Cardinal Queequeg on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:31 am

Goat Starer wrote:the problem you have with meat pies is that you do not know what football really is. If you watched real football (as opposed to a game invented by simplifying a game invented by English public schoolboys because football was a bit complicated) you would understand that it can only be truly appreciated with one of the following in hand...

Steak and Kidney Pie
Meat and Potato Pie
Chicken Balti Pie

The sooner North America and Australasia realises that EVERYBODY else in the world knows that Association Football is the greatet game man has invented the sooner you will be able to enjoy a meat pie!

Goat:

This is a subject very near and dear to my heart. I lived in England for years, and even brought back a wife. Now, after a decade, I have scrubbed the rich English soil from beneath her fingernails, and she is learning what real food is. I, like most Americans, dearly love the English. But as a general rule, in my humble opinion, masters of cuisine you aint.

For years, I tried to convince my wife that just because you serve some crap hidden under a crust, that doesn't make it good. For example, I give you "steak and kidney pie." We have a similar dish here in the U.S., and served without the crust it is called ALPO, and made by Purina, I think.

There is certainly a time and place for crust, it's just this whole "If they pay attention to the crust, maybe they won't think about what's under it" attitude that I find troubling.

I suspect that this is why many Americans are considered rude in resturants there, when they discover first-hand the truth about England's gastronomic mysteries, hidden beneath a layer of dough.

And my wife will have her nationalistic revenge, as well. Last week my daughter presented me with her first "Shepherd's Pie".......

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

So QWERTY, trust me on this one, NEVER trust an Englisman bearing food under a crust. You will pay for it, eventually.

Can we all just agree on Spaghetti as the Grand Master of meals, and leave it at that? :D

Cardinal Queequeg
In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
I look, you look, he looks, we look, ye look, they look.
Cardinal Queequeg
Holy Harpooneer

Postby Warlord of Elephants on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:40 pm

Cardinal Queequeg wrote:And my wife will have her nationalistic revenge, as well. Last week my daughter presented me with her first "Shepherd's Pie".......
Cardinal Queequeg

YUmmmmm! Sheperds Pie, good stuff; 'course the best ones are made from real sheperds..... <running away> Sin. WoE.
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."
Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

The Joy of British Cuisine

Postby FloridaJudy on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:08 pm

My Anglo-Scots aunt Hilda used to make a specialty called a "stand-up pie" (she put so much lard in the crust it was like modelling clay, and didn't require a pie pan). My dad and I would ask her to make it for us before we went on fishing trips. We used it as ballast.

BTW, the English are the only nationality I've ever encountered who routinely cook veggies in a Pressure Cooker.

And the Scots invented the french-fried pizza, and the even more scrumptious deep fried Mars Bar ("Verrrra good sweetie - just needs a wee bit more fat...")
FloridaJudy

Postby Warlord of Elephants on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:17 pm

French fried pizza!?!?! I MUST have one! Now! Hell my arteries are clogging up just thinking about it..... I still gotta try it.... Maybe if I used a veggie pizza it would be ok..... Still french fried pizza! We had a party several months ago with the theme of bring your food and we will fry it in tempura batter.... The deep fried tamales and sushi were my favorites. Sincerely The Warlord of Elephants

WoW! Deep fried pizza... I wonder how much oil we have???? hmmmm

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."
Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

French Fried Pizza

Postby FloridaJudy on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:16 am

Yup. It's for real. While I can't find the actual recipe, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to duplicate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_pizza
FloridaJudy

Postby Goat Starer on Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:18 am

Cardinal Queequeg wrote:
For years, I tried to convince my wife that just because you serve some crap hidden under a crust, that doesn't make it good.

I agree but equally just because it is under a crust doe not make it BAD! Come round my house some time and I will serve you the finest steak pie you will ever eat. All the best ingredients!
Best regards

Goat

--------------------------

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

British Cuisine

Postby FloridaJudy on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:09 am

Actually, I make a Shepherd's Pie that is extremely tasty. Of course, I also add "exotic" ingredients my English granny would never have allowed to contaminate her stodgy pantry - garlic, herbs, parmesan cheese.

While I'm the first to dis the gawdawful cuisine inflicted on me by my British relatives, I must admit you can also find some great food in London - not just only all those Asian restaurants. The younger English cooks seem to have discovered that veg actually tastes better when you don't cook it to death.

Still - Deep-fried pizza and chips (French fries) in the same take-out order? Yuck.
FloridaJudy

Postby Kanys on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:34 pm

All I hear is tales of pie and assorted British foods. I'm liking this community already.

(Smells sacralicious!)

Kanys :fsm_ninja:
Our Pasta, who "Arghh" in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen.

Kanys

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:03 pm

Warlord of Elephants wrote:French fried pizza!?!?! I MUST have one! Now! Hell my arteries are clogging up just thinking about it..... I still gotta try it.... Maybe if I used a veggie pizza it would be ok..... Still french fried pizza! We had a party several months ago with the theme of bring your food and we will fry it in tempura batter.... The deep fried tamales and sushi were my favorites. Sincerely The Warlord of Elephants

WoW! Deep fried pizza... I wonder how much oil we have???? hmmmm

Ramen

lets fire up the fry daddy!

Oh and don't let anyone ever talk you out of a fried twinkie-- got one at the Fair and it had all kinds of really bad stuff added on top of it(ice cream and chocolate syrup and OMFSM) and I ate the whole damn thing
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Warlord of Elephants on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:04 pm

Yeah we tried a Twinkie I was actually looking forward to it. I don't know if I fried it wrong or if my anticipation out striped the actual experience but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would; maybe I should have added ice cream and chocolate syrup...... damn Sin WoE.

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:18 pm

Um like sorry for the double post but on another thread the subject of British verses American toast (Yes I said "Toast"!) came up and so if it's not like too much trouble could someone tell me what (if any) difference there is between the two toasts? We now return you to..... well anyway thanks and stuff Sin. WoE.

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

English and American Toast

Postby FloridaJudy on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:57 pm

My late granny - she of the unlamented culinary atrocities - used to have a British utensil called a "toast rack". It appeared designed to make the toast get cold faster. Sigh.

She also used to put the most bizarre things on the toast once it was nice and chilly - baked beans, canned spaghetti. In fact canned spaghetti on cold toast, and mac' and cheese the consistency of Elmer's Glue-All was the closest she ever got to pasta.

Obviously, the EU has not been altogether a bad thing, at least as far as English cooking is concerned.

How lovely to find a Spiritual Path devoted to the appreciation of pasta! FSM rocks.
FloridaJudy

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:58 pm

Warlord of Elephants wrote:Yeah we tried a Twinkie I was actually looking forward to it. I don't know if I fried it wrong or if my anticipation out striped the actual experience but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would; maybe I should have added ice cream and chocolate syrup...... damn Sin WoE.

I got mine at the Fair-- so it must work as midway food- not sure about making it at home-- something about being outdoors and with friends and riding scream your lungs out rides to make stuff taste good-- so maybe if you find one in that situation it will be a better experience for you

Oh and FloridaJudy-- I've seen the old toast racks that used to sit by the fire to toast bread and they are neat but make for cold toast fast like you said as they expose the toast to air on both sides. Also, we had a sandwich machine(put in bread, put on fillings and close it which made a sort of pocket sammich and toasted the outside) when I was a kid and we made some horrible stuff in it-my mom got it off an infomercial and we kids actually made the stuff the lady on TV made- like spaghetti sandwiches,grilled cheese(very good) ice cream and chocolate syrup(which was actually very good but so messy), mac and cheese sandwiches and once I even remember some beenie-weenie in a sandwich. I am sure they still make this machine-if nothing else it is fun and we did eat what we made.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

British Cuisine

Postby FloridaJudy on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:10 pm

OMFSM! I've found a culinary atrocity worse than any my late Granny tried to inflict on me. Here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/18/world ... ref=health

he was enjoying a north of England specialty known as a chip butty: a French-fries-and-butter sandwich doused in vinegar

It's enough to make a devout food worshipper gag.
FloridaJudy

PreviousNext

Return to Food