What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: What are you EATING right now?

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:43 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:I don't mind. When chopping onions a lot of onions, I slice of the top, rinse it under cold water, score down the sides then peel back the dry layers and stand the onion on its cut surface before going on to the next. When all are in that state, holding the peeled-back layers I slice each one down to the base, chucking the base into the pot we keep handy for chicken food; thus avoiding the worst of the aroma which is found around the roots. That way I can chop up a dozen onions with fewer tears than my husband has after one, :cry: which he insists on topping-and-tailing first, before even peeling, despite my explaining the better way to him on every occasion. Old habits… :idiot:

Just get him to wear a pair of swimming goggles :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:12 am

If you top and tail your onions before you chop them, they fall apart. I chop the tops off, half the onion pole-to-pole, take off the unwanted outer layers (much easier with a halfed onion than with a whole one); then slice them from the top down to about a centimetre away from the base, like lines of longitude. For finely chopped onions, I will do that four or five times on each half; for coarsely chopped onions, just once or twice. Then I chop the onion across, like lines of latitude, and throw the base away.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Sausages and beans. If you told the eight year old me that he'd like eating beans in the future he wouldn't believe you. With a bit of tabasco, worcester sauce and pepper it's awesome and there's enough sausages left to have the same for breakfast tomorrow (providing I nip to the shops to get more beans).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Curry. I had curry last night. I have curry tonight. I am supposed to have steak pie tomorrow, it being New Year and all, but there is more curry in the freezer if I need it.

I love curry. :love:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Some stuff Mrs. T and I have made and consumed over the past week or so.

You've seen the Lemon Meringue Pie, I think:

Here is a lovely Cranberry Bread we made for monkey:

This was dinner last night. Chipotle salmon, brown rice with stir-fried mushrooms, onions and broccoli, and pineapple chunks, with yummy home-made Gewurztraminer to wash it down.

Then for breakfast this morning we had Mrs. T's home-made coffee cake.

Noms.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:03 pm

What time should we all show up tomorrow? :haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:49 am

ET should have his own cookery programme!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:29 pm

I had a toast sandwich. Three slices of white bread. Toast one. While it's toasting, put butter, and salt and pepper to taste, on the untoasted slices. Put the toast between the two buttered slices. Eat.

Delicious.

I only had a third of one because of my diet (one slice divided into three pieces) but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 am

Leftover curry and naan bread from last night. I woke up this morning, whoa yeah, I woke up dis mawnin', to discover The Boy had finished the milk. So I had chocolate cake instead of cereal for breakfast. My stomach objected to this.
Roy Hunter

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Weren't you just lecturing me yesterday on proper nutrition and eating real food and not refined sugars, specifically chocolate cake? :nefyoobash:

Did I put that idea in your head? Sorry! :moon:

I'm just kidding, really, I appreciate you chatting with me, thanks. It helped a lot.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:59 am

Why do you think I was lecturing you on proper nutrition? Sitting there with my stomach gurgling away...
Roy Hunter

Postby bacon on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:45 am

If I remember what Bill Cosby said correctly, chocolate cake is the perfect breakfast food. It has eggs and milk in it.

But honestly, is there any difference between eating a slice of cake versus eating a muffin?

Just sayin'
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Crackers, cheese and pickle. There's a rather nice extra mature cheddar in the fridge I intend to try before the other greedy buggers eat it all (despite the fact it's the cripple on crutches who does all the food shopping in the cold and snow and rain, grumble grumble). I wonder if there's any pickled onions left, they'd be just the thing to round off the sausages and beans I had earlier :antipasta:

bacon wrote:But honestly, is there any difference between eating a slice of cake versus eating a muffin?

I really don't see the appeal of hideously sweet things at breakfast. I've never understood why Merkins seem to regard it as acceptable to wolf down a massive stack of pancakes covered in butter and syrup or why the French start the day with pain au chocolat, it's far too sweet and makes me feel a bit ill. Also, who eats muffins for breakfast?

Having said that, I only eat breakfast in hospital and on holiday (buttered toast and lager respectively) so I may not be representative of the general population. Still, starting the day with chocolate bread :paranoid:

daftbeaker

Postby Ravi Oli on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:48 am

daftbeaker wrote:...Having said that, I only eat breakfast in hospital and on holiday...

For a long time breakfast was just a coffee. Now I try to eat something... cereal, leftovers... even just a muesli bar.
I think it worthwhile.

Sunday dinner - Pad Thai - something quick after skipping lunch to mow grass, pressure clean patio, usual domestic chores... [had a big indulgent brekkie - REAL bacon, eggs, tomato and toast]
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Friend going on holiday tomorrow morning phoned me up + asked if I'd like the whole chicken she wasn't going to be able to use before she went away.

So roast chicken, roast tatties, roast veg, gravy, all the trimmings. Lovely

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Food