How many vegan/vegetarian Pastafarians are out there

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

How many vegan/vegetarian Pastafarians are out there

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:38 pm

I am not vegan yet-- I am on my way though.

As an evolutionary biologist anthropologist I just kind of see eating meat as just plain nasty

But my daughters will eat anything and I respect them and I respect meat eaters-- to each his own. I can't cook it or buy it though-- I get ill in the meat department.

so if you enjoy your pasta with Boca burger or Morningstar Farms or Worthington ETC give us some good recipies here
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:43 pm

I'm an on-again, off-again vegetarian.

I am a meat-minimalist, as I don't need the protein as much as I need the carbs, doing what I do, and at my age.

So, 2 smaller sandwiches, with much smaller meat-portions, and more bread, instead of 1 large one. Raises the bread-to-meat ratio in favor of more bread.

Or, soup, with little or no meat, beans & rice instead. LOVE beans & rice: any flavor of bean, tend to favor brown rice over white. More flavor.

One of my favorite vegetarian dishes is "multi-bean stew". I make it with a variety of dried beans, lentils, peas and such. Several cloves of garlic, and 2 or 3 diced onion.

Cook in the crock pot overnight.

2 Secret Ingredients: brown rice (1 to 1.5 cups) and 1/2 cup cherry-pepper flavored vinegar. (Leftover vinegar from a jar of cherry-peppers works wonderfully.)

The rice will cook away completely - no visible rice grains left, BUT it will thicken the soup nicely, no flour needed or desirable at all. Makes the soup THICK and rich. Add the rice at the start.

The cherry-pepper vinegar adds a very nice "twang" to the soup, and brings out the subtle flavors of the various beans - makes their flavors *pop*. Can substitute red wine vinegar, but it's not as good. Add the vinegar near the end of the cooking cycle.

Alternate, for meat-eaters: add 1 or 2 slices, finely chopped of country bacon (fatty is better than lean - you're looking for complex flavors inherent in the fats) - this small amount of meat/fat to a gallon of soup will not be that detrimental, health-wise, but will add a nice flavor, if you like that "meat" flavor. Or, a ham-bone works nearly as well. But, then it wouldn't be vegetarian, would it?

Either way, it's easy winter-time meal for several, or freeze in small containers for home-made 6-bean-stew.
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Shooting Star on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:59 am

MMM! This sounds delicious, especially with the cherry pepper vinegar, I'll have to try it this winter, when the snows are a flying.
"If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
Shooting Star
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:08 am

Anyone have a good recipe for homemade veggie burgers? Preferrably not "meat substitute" ones, but "tastes like something that's not trying to taste like meat"? :D

Bob, you'd probably like the way we make rice; we usually use about 1/4 mixed grains (brown rice, barley, purple barley, red rice, black rice, rye) to a remainder of white rice.

I've got some good grain-and-multi-bean mixes too, but they require a little planning ahead to pre-soften the beans, and I rarely get my act together ahead of time.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:00 pm

Oh man, those sound good! I wish I was as crafty in the kitchen as you people.

I'm with Dr. Otis, I don't like the veggie burgers that are trying to taste like burger. I prefer the "Yoohoo! Nothing but veg here!" kinds. I especially like the Morningstar Farms Tomato Basil burgers. They're even good cold! Not still frozen, but grilled and then sitting around for a few hours. I know because I was introduced to them at a friend's barbecue last month. I had had a hot one and several hours later I saw a platter and just had to have another. Was it the wine or was that burger just as good as the hot one? :D
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:17 am

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:small red not kidney] beans

Adzukai beans ("red beans")? Surely too sweet...

I'll try the first two and Doctor them a bit after. I'm looking forward to making something downright delicious and cheaper than springing for pre-made patties.

Not the last one though... there's a policy on tofu in my house. It's not allowed to try to be anything else other than tofu, and NEVER in "Western" recipes (yeah, I'm a snob about meat substitutes). Tofu tastes too good done right to be abused. :mrgreen:

The Goddess makes some really good tofu dishes, including one I call "Korean Grilled Cheese Sandwiches" - kimchi between two cm-thick slices of tofu, dipped in egg and panfried. Wouldn't work for vegans, but it's good eating. Skipping the kimchi and just doing a cornstarch/egg or flour/egg coating on tofu, and then panfrying with a little ginger and green onion is good too (one of the few of Mom's "meatless" dishes I always enjoyed).
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:10 pm

I just knew I'd get some good ideas.

More Please.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:12 pm

And I really like the

" I am just an ape with vastly improved twig technology"

Have you ever read Dr. Goodalls interview about when she tried termite fishing and just bombed--it's a good one about species specific stuff and how talent comes in many forms
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:59 am

anthrobabe wrote:And I really like the

" I am just an ape with vastly improved twig technology"

Have you ever read Dr. Goodalls interview about when she tried termite fishing and just bombed--it's a good one about species specific stuff and how talent comes in many forms

The "quote" from a book by Doug Adams (of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fame) called "Last Chance To See"

It's not exactly a quote by him - his description took a chapter to unfold, but the statement summarizes that chapter very well.

The book is a series of voyages by Adams and some others, to the various places in the world that have nearly extinct animals - and Adam's thoughts, comments and observations about the animals, the trip, the countries and people they saw. It's not a long book, and well worth reading. Highly Recommended.

(to keep slightly on topic) Adams also mentions several times, the various food they ate while on those trips - and some of the dishes are remarkable.

As a native-born USofA-ian, I have not sampled much genuine "ethnic" food - only what folk have brought to my country, and offered. I'd have to travel overseas to get the "good stuff." <heh>

And, as I grow older, I find that "new food" (to me) is one of Life's Finest Pleasures - indeed, it may be an Ultimate Purpose in Life. :D
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:02 am

Bob the Unbeliever wrote:And, as I grow older, I find that "new food" (to me) is one of Life's Finest Pleasures - indeed, it may be an Ultimate Purpose in Life. :D

RAmen. This is why I'm a natural born Pastafarian; sounds like you are too.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:55 am

The "quote" from a book by Doug Adams (of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fame) called "Last Chance To See"

I will check this out- I do know about "Hitchiker" but never read "Last Chance..."
Thanks

I like veg patties that are not trying to taste like meat also- I like the taste of vegetables and grains so the recipies here should be very good.
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby bubblegumgirl on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:43 am

Have been a vegetarian all my life, im what you may call a product of the hippy generation. My parents always gave me the choice to eat meat if i wanted but i never really did understand why.

You´ve got some nice vege buger recipes going on there. I a big fan of tofu, and a big protester of the ´not meat´ phenomena. I foound that if you roast up some pumkin and sweet potato, it adds a great flavour to any kind of vege burger combo.

My fav food is something called vege jambalaya. Basically it´s a brown rice, crushed tomato chilli and every and any vegetable combination. Tastes great and no matter how much i make there never seems to be any leftovers.
"Yes Marge, in Theory, in theory communism works." Homer Simpson

"`This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer, `I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'"

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
bubblegumgirl
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:35 pm

That sounds good- I love sweet potatos and I want to try the idea in a veg burger rec. I have.

I like Tofu- in our student center here at UALR they are finally serving some marinated Tofu on the stir-fry line and I like to get it and put it with a salad- the "chef" does more with it than just soaking it in soy-sauce, she puts onion and garlic in the marinade she uses and it is good.

My youngest daughter is really starting to get with the meatless thing- we went shopping yesterday and she did not want any meat at all- It has always been her choice, but I am glad she is thinking about this.
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby anthrobabe on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:12 pm

Vegan chili
this doesn't taste like it is trying to be meat, not "fake" meat flavor, it is good and quick

1/2 cup tomaoe juice
1/2 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
1 cup whole corn
1 and 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped(or more and roast it first for extra special flavor)
1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15oz) black beans, drained and rinsed

heat tomato juice to boiling and add bulgur wheat. cover and let stand 30 to 60 minutes or until juice is absorbed. mix remaining ingredients in nonstick pan, breaking up tomatoes. cook over med-high heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender. stir in bulgur and heat through.

about 200 calories per serving, 1 gram fat ( no sat fat)

serves 8
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby mboy on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:17 am

That sounds tasty I will give it a try.

Thanks anthrobabe...I was mulling over the whole pastefarian thing and being a vegetarian I was a little worried about the meatball aspect. But I found this thread and it looks like there is a healthy (of course we're healthy!!!) vegetarian pastafarian community. Well that was the bait anyway...the hook was the "Gorilla gorilla berengei" manta...have you been to see them?...sorry I won't hijack the thread...

I have been a vegetarian for 7 months now not vegan yet.....and I must say it can be pretty tough....(:D spose meat's tough too)....to come up with new recipes. I am just so conditioned to include a portion of animal protein.

Does anyone have a recipe for thai green curry with tofu?
<help>How do I activate html</help>
mboy
Conchigliette Convert

Next

Return to Food