Brewing and the Whole Wheat Pastafarian

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Brewing and the Whole Wheat Pastafarian

Postby Trampledbygeese on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:46 pm

As beer is a vital part of being a Pastafarian, I would argue that brewing our own beer (as in making our own pasta) is considered an act of devotion.

So how does a Whole Wheat Pastafarian go about learning to brew beer? I already make cider (what the people in the US call Hard Cider, but the rest of us just call cider) and wine at home. I have some grains (wheat and barley), a mill, something to use as hops (broom flowers) and enthusiasm... how do I transform that into beer? :drinking:

I am aware that there are malt extracts and kits and stuff, but I would like to go back to my pirate roots and brew my own from scratch. Think of it as an extreme form of devotion, like the Medieval Christian form of flagellation- sure there is an easier way, but where's the challenge?
Trampledbygeese
Ziti Zealot

Re: Brewing and the Whole Wheat Pastafarian

Postby PKMKII on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:31 am

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Trampledbygeese on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:09 am

That looks tasty, thank you for the link.

Have you ever tried brewing your own before?
Trampledbygeese
Ziti Zealot

Postby PKMKII on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:10 am

No, I've got a tiny Brooklyn apartment, I have no room to homebrew.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:52 pm

I have tried brewing before (well, I tried making cider in my wardrobe when I was 14). In theory, the fementation of beer and cider is exactly the same, the only issue being having available sugars for the yeast to work on. That's where the mashing and boiling come in with beer, they're needed to break down the starches into sugars the yeast can use.

Another good site is Jim's Beer Kit which has more information than you will possibly ever need. Good luck :drinking:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Return to Food