Pancake Day

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Pancake Day

Postby Noodly on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:53 pm

It's Shrove Tuesday and in the UK we are supposed to have pancakes.
I turned mine into a holy sacrament:

Noodly
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Pancake Day

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Brilliant! I was listening to John Sentamu, the Archbishop of York, on the radio this morning. He had made pancakes for the presenters using eggs and flour, but also raw cane sugar, lemon and lime juice. Apparently they were fantastic.

I'm neither here nor there about his being an Archbishop, but big respect to the man for his l33t cooking skillz.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Presumably the sugar and lemon/ limemix was a topping.

I favour golden syrup myself.

Haven't made pancakes yet. Forgot to buy eggs. :bummer:

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Ubi Dubium on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Noodly wrote:It's Shrove Tuesday and in the UK we are supposed to have pancakes.
I turned mine into a holy sacrament:

I get the strawberries and the Nutella. But are those peas?
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:38 am

Those aren't the FSM's *ahem* "peas", they're meant to be it's eyes.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Noodly on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:07 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:I get the strawberries and the Nutella. But are those peas?

Blueberries for the dewy eyes
Noodly
Conchigliette Convert

Postby black bart on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 am

Noodly wrote:
Ubi Dubium wrote:I get the strawberries and the Nutella. But are those peas?

Blueberries for the dewy eyes

Brilliant :worship:

We had pancakes and I had all those ingredients in front of me (even the blueberries would you believe) but I didn't put it all together...you have put my creativity to shame.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby bonsaiherb on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:58 pm

I agree. Loved the presentation! However what is -- "Shrove Tuesday and in the UK we are supposed to have pancakes."

And how do UK pancakes differ from German, Dutch or Swedish pancakes. Most of these are rolled up like burittos with jam inside and sugar (perhaps vanilla or Cinnamon sugar on top. Dutch use more sour cream and even cottage cheese as a stuffing. Sourdough pancakes are great too.

German cooking also has Shmarn, which is basically scrambled pancakes with sugar and cinammon on top. Wonder why I had so many cavities as a kid! Potato pancakes are also disgustingly sugar rich but yummy.

bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:27 am

Pancakes are traditionally eaten on Shrove Tuesday as a way of using up things like milk and eggs before Lent (which starts the day after).

As a rule UK pancakes are more akin to thin French crepes than the fatter American style ones. The difference between UK pancakes and French ones though lies in how they are turned. In France they're generally turned over with a palatte knife or a spatula - in the UK they're tossed. There are even pancake tossing races throughout the UK.

Filling wise, sugar and lemon is fairly traditional, but anything (savoury or sweet) is okay. Not too sure there is any rule about whether they are folded or rolled - it's personal preference.

My preference is for golder syrup and lemon juice, then rolled.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby bonsaiherb on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:08 pm

Thank you Cardinal Fang,

"Shrove Tuesday (widely known as Pancake Day)" Lentish stuff. Guess that must have escaped me, as did I from the Catholic Church. I am now thinking that my Mom Austrian must have followed this tradition as well. When I was a boy, my mother always cooked fish on Friday. Abstinence from meat on Fridays is still commanded by the Catholic Church in much of Europe. Less so in the States.

Oh Jeesh, I still remember those ghastly herring salads. YUK! Better though than swallowing them raw as the Dutch sometimes do.

Got to go. I was busy writing my Senators and the White House about his request to fund (500 million) to more Syrian rebels. Sometimes I just really wonder about this country. Oh well, it is off to the Soccer games. I am a total addict.

Someday, if you desire I would love to post your Japanese food and Bento Fun comment on my website. Loved it! I did change the front page to food, instead of Genealogy.

Perhaps a rough do, but it sorta expresses how I feel about food.
http://sweetgeodes.com/senft/

BTW, the German pancakes are more like crepes as well. Not at all like the fat American ones. Usually filled with jam and sugar on top. A recipe to kill ones teeth for sure.
bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Return to Food