Whisk(e)y

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby black bart on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:21 am

Bottle of Highland Park acquired :fsm_rock: ...but not yet tasted...amazing restraint.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 am

Oops, clerical error: this post is actually in response to AUsloth's post at the end of page 1. I'm still keeping it.

Actually, he may have been telling the truth as to the origins of flavor effects like "smoky" and "peaty" etc. Of course, once people realized how desirable and/or distinctive those qualities can be, even when they designed better chimneys and equipment, they deliberately set them up to simulate the equivalent effect of the old ways. Trappist Ales, for example, are made using not just the same kind of aging barrels as they were 200 years ago when unique bacteria (non-harmful) grew in them and gave a certain flavor to the ale due to incomplete sterilization, they use the actual same barrels as they did back then. When they have to replace barrels, they make sure the new ones are "infected" with those same bacteria as well, so that the unique flavors are still imparted to the beer.

Chaos and creativity are spontaneous but sustainable.

Also, I'd like to add another voice to the importance of the "splash" or "dash" of water to a sipping liquor like whisky. As it sits, the flavor chemicals (aromatics, essentials, etc) settle into chemical stability, which is less reactivity, more inertness, more blandness. When you add a touch of water at the final point of drinking, you throw the chemical balance back into reaction, into dynamic, into tasty activation. Just a few milliliters of water in a glass will break down the "plastic" static barriers of flavor and bring out much more sensation/flavor from the mixture. Chemistry + sensation + perception = alchemy. This process works on less concentrated spirits like meads and wines as well, but is more noticeable, even crucial, on more concentrated/distilled beverages. Any fine liquor that will support combustion (28%+/vol) should definitely be given a dash in the glass.

Crappy liquors should just be avoided altogether as much as possible, except perhaps as a degreasing/cleaning agent. We don't want to encourage the production of lousy booze at any price. Think of it as voting for a sliding scale towards excellence.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:15 am

Highland Park tasted...mmmmmmhhhh nice.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Tue May 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Image.

It's interesting, similar taste to Jura but a bit more intense.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue May 03, 2011 3:28 pm

I haven't tried any Japanese whisky, but I believe they go to quite extraordinary lengths to try and replicate the Scotch whisky distillation methods. Then again, there are parts of Japan that look very similar to Scotland, so perhaps it is not so difficult?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Wed May 04, 2011 7:02 am

It can't be nicer than Highland Park.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Wed May 04, 2011 8:18 pm

I'd say hooray for the Japanese if they are really making the effort to create traditional, high-quality whiskies. The climate in their northern regions should be fine for growing distinctive barley. That's a long term learning curve, but if they succeed they could take take up some of the demand, which would help hold down prices. Also, they can tailor recipes to the palettes of oriental menus and tastes, perhaps even create some wonderful new experiences. There is a long tradition of craftsmanship and care among Japanese artisans of various kinds, so I think, culturally, they're up to it. The science of modern quality control is also well taught there, so they should be able to be consistent. They certainly couldn't do any worse than all those big-name hack distillers in north america.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Black Grouse. I really like it. It's similar to Famous Grouse but it has a bit more flavour and I can't notice the ethanol aftertaste I get with Famous.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 pm

This quarter cask is really nice :bounce:

It's still not going cloudy when I add water though, I want a batch that does that :idiot:

daftbeaker

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:17 pm

daftbeaker wrote:This quarter cask is really nice :bounce:

It's still not going cloudy when I add water though, I want a batch that does that :idiot:
You need a non-chill-filtered whisky. They are few and far between, I am afraid.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:This quarter cask is really nice :bounce:

You need a non-chill-filtered whisky. They are few and far between, I am afraid.

Laphroaig quarter cask is only barrier filtered. I've had three bottles so far and none of them have gone cloudy.

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Whyte and Mackay is rather tasty. It's not got much bite but is rather drinkable. A session whisky I think, especially if you can get it at Tesco's for 11 quid a bottle :bounce:

daftbeaker

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:46 am

Sipping on Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban right now. Never much of a taster (I'm in the "that's pretty good" or "that sucks" crowd), but I'm definitely getting a Port taste to it, as well as in the nose. Other than that, it's good, but doesn't have as much character as, say, my one true love, Laphroiag. Enough to tide me over till my Quarter Cask gets delivered to the liquor store.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:38 am

Our local has started serving Talisker. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:54 am

A few years ago I a had a pal who worked at Sainsburys and he got myself and a few others into a Whisky Tasting session led by a well known whisky expert. We had ten glasses of whisky infront of us and some assorted Scottish Snacks. All I can remember is the expert saying when we came to the last glass, which happened to be 'Talisker': "The way to drink Talisker is to knock it back in one!"
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Food