RECIPES

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: RECIPES

Postby bonsaiherb on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Pork Chops & Sweet Potatoes
Some wonderful cooks in here. Loved the ideas and recipes. The Pork Chops & Sweet Potatoes really hit home as did the great commentary on Chili by Postby Arkaeon.

I too use Worcestershire sauce in my cooking but I will also include
Maggi seasoning - as be a German substitute. A few drops in chicken soup always made it taste better. It was also good to spice up that Asian cooking, especially for that dreaded Tofu!

Today I blanch at the thought of all that MSG and sodium.) It is very popular in German-speaking countries and I still keep a bottle around. One of the few things I know that won't spoil.
It also goes a long way and just a few drops of the umami-rich flavor adds depth to noodles, stir-fries, soups, and other dishes.

Worcestershire Sauce is more organic and is akin to soy sauce and fish sauce. The salt and sodium content however is considerably less. One ingredient to be concerned about is the anchovy part of it. If you are allergic to fish or anchovies you might be cautious in using it. Maggi has no anchovies, just that lovely monosodium glutamate. The Worcestershire has vinegar, molasses, onions, garlic, peppers in it.

One other thing in the German cooking was to caramelize the onions. One reason being that we did not have the 'sweet onions' that are available today. I still caramelize the white onions. Garlic is another story and you can wreck them doing that. I generally add them at the end.

bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Previous

Return to Food