Are there any Baristas here??

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Are there any Baristas here??

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:24 pm

daftbeaker wrote:I don't like coffee. Can I have a choklit milkshake please? :idiot:

:whip:

My friend used to work for Whittard's. Those were the days, lol. I drink all sorts of coffee, from [decent] freeze-dried granules to fresh, although I do not grind my own due to not owning a grinder. I generally use either a cafetière (French press) or a traditional drip coffee machine (with a removable, and hence washable, mesh filter). But I will not have decaffeinated or powdered coffee in the house. Such things are heresy!
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Edd on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 pm

daftbeaker wrote:I don't like coffee. Can I have a choklit milkshake please? :idiot:

I don't care for coffee but I'm sure it's an acquired taste and I just wasn't exposed to it early or often enough to acquire it.

Ironically, viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9609&start=2835#p565515
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:04 pm

So I've had a Chemex brewer for a few years now, but I've only ever used it to filter cold-brew coffee with it. Today, i figured now that I've got a proper burr grinder, I'd make a proper Chemex cup. I used the Stumptown guide, which is a nice one because it doesn't require you to have a scale. Did use a pyrex measuring cup to pour the water because I don't have a long-neck kettle, but it still worked.

I see why people say it produces a clean, bold cup but not much for body. The extra-thick Chemex filters probably explain that. Worlds different than a standard Mr. Coffee drip cup, but probably not something I'd make on a daily basis. More of a weekend thing when I'm not having to worry about getting ready for work.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:26 am

As part of my personal development programme to become a more chilled and less stressed person, I thought I might start drinking White Russians, like Jeffrey Lebowski.

To this end, I am making my own Kahlua (at £17.50 per bottle, I think Tesco can :furious: off, I'll make my own). To start that process off, I just made a litre (about 1 3/4 pints) of espresso using 250g (1/2 lb) of coffee beans in my Gaggia Classic Coffee, ground in my Iberital IC2.

The house smells amazing...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Previous

Return to Food