Cosmopastical issue, v. 2

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Cosmopastical issue, v. 2

Postby Kung Fusilli on Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:26 pm

Regardless of what the moon is made of, should not the *earth* be the center of the universe?

I prefer that the sun and moon revolve around the earth. It concords with my observations, and surely my theory is just as valid as anyone else's.

WE ALREADY HAVE AN INROAD TO GET THIS INTO SCHOOLS: in today's NY Times 'Science Times', there's an article about a Jon D. Miller at Northwestern Univ., who studies what Americans know about science. He found that:

"American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century."

I'm betting that in the state of Kansas the earth-centered universe has a stronger following, so let's start there.

Link to the story by Cornelia Dean, 'Scientific Savvy? In U.S., Not Much':
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/30/scien ... wanted=all
Kung Fusilli
Ziti Zealot

Re: Cosmopastical issue, v. 2

Postby amenabletopasta on Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:29 pm

Kung Fusilli wrote:Regardless of what the moon is made of, should not the *earth* be the center of the universe?

I prefer that the sun and moon revolve around the earth. It concords with my observations, and surely my theory is just as valid as anyone else's.

Arrr! Wise words, ship-mate.

Does ye're theory also postulate that the Earth be flat? If the planet be roughly spherical (as those science boffins would 'ave us believe), surely things would be rolling off all the time...
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always noodles in the air :fsm:
amenabletopasta
Mod

Postby Kung Fusilli on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:03 pm

credo_ergo_sum: true, if the earth were spinning and rotating, we'd all fly off into space! These scientists have apparently never heard of *centrifugal force* (as I understanding it...).

amenabletopasta: your flat earth argument makes sense, but I'm not a dogmatist on this. We could teach that the earth, though flat, is round *in places*. Or we could *teach the controversy*.

My understanding is still developing since I've been touched in the head by His Noodly Appendage...
Kung Fusilli
Ziti Zealot

Postby Omnieiunium on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:45 pm

Well techincally the earth is the centre of the universe for us. I am not talking about physically but mentally. I assume we would be willing to destroy other planets for our own good. Personally I feel that the earth is a roundish object that spins very fast in space.
Omnieiunium
-Original Forum Admin
-Long-time Pastafarian
-Former-Administration Dude with Auntie DD
-Taking a looooooooooooooooooooooong vacation that may never end
Omnieiunium
Site Admin<br>Controls your forum life

Postby Cerberus on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:18 pm

Yeah the earth doesn't have to be a sphere. It could really be in the shape of a skull and crossbones. The water just covers up the skull like features making the earth look spherical.
Religious war at its very simplest is killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend.

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Cerberus
Now 3.1415926% Recycled Opinions

Postby The Cheat on Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 pm

Yarrr...be good thinking, me hearty!
The Cheat
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Return to Scripture and Lore