The Sneezy Heresy: Pesto vs. Noodles

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby Bringerofpie on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:25 pm

singidunum wrote:
boghog wrote:Doesn't it just mean "good health"?

"Gesundheit" means health...

And the word has quite an interesting origin: It is believed that the expression stems from the Middle Ages when the Bubonic Plague was threatening European health. In this case the person saying gesundheit was actually wishing good health upon themselves, since they may have been infected by the one who sneezed. During this time it was also commonly believed that sneezing made one's body vulnerable to evil spirits. Thus another plausible explanation is that gesundheit was a blessing to ward off demons while the sneezer's body was defenseless. (from Wiki)

Expression "gesundheit" has been brought into the English language via Ashkenazi Jews who were immigrating in large masses to the United States during the early twentieth century.

Now, why change it, when it has such a nice history? :D

I hate to tell you, but it's Yiddish. It originated in the old country (i'm not sure which one).
"Now watch this drive."
Bringerofpie
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Bringerofpie on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Oh, my bad. I was only half paying attention.
"Now watch this drive."
Bringerofpie
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby whiskeymouse on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:21 pm

I am pretty sure that it is German Yiddish and not Polish. I have been wrong before, but I am almost 100% certain that it is germanic in nature. The rest of the history is what I remember too.

Avast, languages are fun! :pirate_fish:
whiskeymouse
Conchigliette Convert

Previous

Return to Scripture and Lore