Marco Polo?

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Marco Polo?

Postby aquablackmage on Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:55 pm

How is Marco Polo looked at in the church? He helped bring spaghetti to Europe...
aquablackmage
Ziti Zealot

Postby aquablackmage on Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:17 pm

I see Marco Polo as somewhat of a prophet because of his help spreading spaghetti over the Old World.
Aqua Black Mage Roscoe******
aquablackmage
Ziti Zealot

Postby nate272 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:22 pm

I'd say less of a prophet and more of a saint.

We should have saints:
Saint Marco Polo
Saint Chinese Dude
Saint Person
Saint Other Person

And so on...
w00t!!!
nate272
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Duke on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:08 am

I think he is a liar, not a malicious liar, but one that really likes to fabricate. Some of his writings are so ridiculous.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby LibraLabRat on Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:10 am

Duke wrote:I think he is a liar, not a malicious liar, but one that really likes to fabricate. Some of his writings are so ridiculous.

Duke

That is why he was referred to as Marco of the Millions, as in "millions of tall tales."

I have read a translation of some of his tales of his travels, and more than one adaptation.....and you have to look at things from his POV, his upbringing, and European bias.

Besides, a lot of early explorers came back with some odd tales....like of unicorns, people with faces in their bellies, and cities of gold.....

Can I be Saint Rat? :mrgreen:
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Duke on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:32 pm

LibraLabRat wrote:
Duke wrote:I think he is a liar, not a malicious liar, but one that really likes to fabricate. Some of his writings are so ridiculous.

Duke

That is why he was referred to as Marco of the Millions, as in "millions of tall tales."

I have read a translation of some of his tales of his travels, and more than one adaptation.....and you have to look at things from his POV, his upbringing, and European bias.

Besides, a lot of early explorers came back with some odd tales....like of unicorns, people with faces in their bellies, and cities of gold.....

Can I be Saint Rat? :mrgreen:

I think you are really going to have to try to become a saint. Get to work, Rat! :wink:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

The Saint

Postby black bart on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 am

It aint easy to become a saint these days - no Romans or Spanish Inquisitors around to Flay you alive or Crusify you upside down!
:fsm_worried:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: The Saint

Postby Duke on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:18 pm

black bart wrote:It aint easy to become a saint these days - no Romans or Spanish Inquisitors around to Flay you alive or Crusify you upside down!
:fsm_worried:

Oh, darn. It sure takes the fun out of things, doesn't it?

Who else is a future saint?

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:32 pm

Not I. The duties of the office of False Prophet preclude that.

BTW, can we retro-cannonize a Saint if they've already had their remains shot out of a cannon, and if so, does it matter if they pre-date Hendersonian Flying Spaghetti Monsterism?

You know who I'm talking about.
<----------------------------------
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Duke on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:34 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:Not I. The duties of the office of False Prophet preclude that.

BTW, can we retro-cannonize a Saint if they've already had their remains shot out of a cannon, and if so, does it matter if they pre-date Hendersonian Flying Spaghetti Monsterism?

You know who I'm talking about.
<----------------------------------

No, what in the world are you talking about? :wink:

I would rather be a saint then a False Prophet, but I suppose False Prophets are important too.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:49 pm

Hunter. Not Depp. Underwent a secular cannonization earlier this year, with Depp leading the ceremony.

Sainthood would be great, but when you're given a job, you do it. Someone has to keep the Beast company....
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Duke on Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:59 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:Hunter. Not Depp. Underwent a secular cannonization earlier this year, with Depp leading the ceremony.

Sainthood would be great, but when you're given a job, you do it. Someone has to keep the Beast company....

Yep, true. Does this mean you will never be saint? I think you have a chance.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Skin

Postby black bart on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:04 am

Bugger ... I've just been flayed alive, and I was just about to apply for cannonisation when some bastard gave me a skin transplant!!!!!! :(
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:55 am

RAmen!

I await The Rum Diary eagerly. We shall look for his spectre at the next election campaign, as a pillar of smoke by day and a blaze of hubris by night...

Doc
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Next

Return to Scripture and Lore