Crisis of faith

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Crisis of faith

Postby arkady on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:43 pm

As a student who started a biology course last year, whenever i had to cook for myself i made pasta... Dolmio stir in sauces, Dolmio bolognese... i even learned to cook proper bolognese, and would eat it for several days cos there was such a lot of it...... my true conversion to his Holy Noodlyness came when i first heard the words of the Prophet Bobby, and knew that my love of pasta was something more spiritual than just mere inability to cook anything else.....

But recently i came across a non-pasta carbohydrate that was even easier to cook for a lazy student with no time to spare... Couscous. I just add hot water, and some curry paste to make it taste of something. Or i fry up onion, bacon and whatever veggies are left in the fridge and add couscous at the end (with added wine to make it taste extra nice)

My faith in FSM as the god of student food has been shaken to its very core... :(
arkady
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby _Tex_ on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:37 pm

HERETIC!
have you got time to hang about while i braid this angelhair pasta into a whip?
ACOUSTIC WEAPONRY- making really loud noises for His Noodley self
www.acousticweaponry.com
_Tex_
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby arkady on Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:19 am

Well, that's a weight off my mind... and thankfully I've never liked Smash! :wink:

Also gives me some hope that a close but sadly-pasta disliking friend will be joining us by the beer volcano... He loves couscous, and some forms of pasta when 'hidden' in other recipes (lasagne mainly)

Whilst my cooking skills have now progressed to the point where i can make a halfway-decent bolognese, i am still not able to do as much justice to the Holy Dish as my mother.... am longing for home-cooking, only another week and a half to wait!... :fsm_smile:
arkady
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby LibraLabRat on Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:21 am

arkady wrote:Well, that's a weight off my mind... and thankfully I've never liked Smash! :wink:

Also gives me some hope that a close but sadly-pasta disliking friend will be joining us by the beer volcano... He loves couscous, and some forms of pasta when 'hidden' in other recipes (lasagne mainly)

Whilst my cooking skills have now progressed to the point where i can make a halfway-decent bolognese, i am still not able to do as much justice to the Holy Dish as my mother.... am longing for home-cooking, only another week and a half to wait!... :fsm_smile:

I love couscous. But until recently, my fiancee HATED all forms of pasta...(I know, THE HORROR!)

The cure? Homemade sauce with good Italian sausage, cooked for about four hours, and Barilla angel hair.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Re: Crisis of faith

Postby Duke on Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:12 am

arkady wrote:As a student who started a biology course last year, whenever i had to cook for myself i made pasta... Dolmio stir in sauces, Dolmio bolognese... i even learned to cook proper bolognese, and would eat it for several days cos there was such a lot of it...... my true conversion to his Holy Noodlyness came when i first heard the words of the Prophet Bobby, and knew that my love of pasta was something more spiritual than just mere inability to cook anything else.....

But recently i came across a non-pasta carbohydrate that was even easier to cook for a lazy student with no time to spare... Couscous. I just add hot water, and some curry paste to make it taste of something. Or i fry up onion, bacon and whatever veggies are left in the fridge and add couscous at the end (with added wine to make it taste extra nice)

My faith in FSM as the god of student food has been shaken to its very core... :(

How about this? Ramen, it is even simpler, the life thread of dorm students, and a holy food? I live couscous (especially the name), but spaghetti is better, I think.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Antipaladin on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:39 am

Couscous is the fez-wearing, rice-married cousin of speghetti.
He's dastardly. He loves catastrophy. His schemes are masterly. Sixteen and half-past-three.
Antipaladin
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:59 am

Orzo makes good pasta salad..... I'm gonna have to post that recipe one of these days.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Alpaca on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:10 am

I've started to develop a taste for tubular pasta stuffed with something.

I'm also a big, big fan of Orzo, especially with this tomato-and-onion sauce that it's cooked (and not soaked) in.

Here's another fun dish: Fry some tuna fish (in a wok, preferably) with tomatoes, until the Tuna is unlikely to give you salmonella. (The tomatoes should be sorta half-"melted" at this point, but still not be reduced to utter sauce.) Serve with pasta. (My favorite types for this particular recipe are Farfalle, Farfallone, and Fusilli.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Duke on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Alpaca wrote:I've started to develop a taste for tubular pasta stuffed with something.

I just eat tacos if I want that kind of thing. :mrgreen:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:40 pm

Alpaca wrote:I've started to develop a taste for tubular pasta stuffed with something.

I'm also a big, big fan of Orzo, especially with this tomato-and-onion sauce that it's cooked (and not soaked) in.

Here's another fun dish: Fry some tuna fish (in a wok, preferably) with tomatoes, until the Tuna is unlikely to give you salmonella. (The tomatoes should be sorta half-"melted" at this point, but still not be reduced to utter sauce.) Serve with pasta. (My favorite types for this particular recipe are Farfalle, Farfallone, and Fusilli.

I'll just read this as "Pan sear a tuna steak....". I can't afford it either, but last time I checked tuna wasn't supposed to have an exoskeleton... NOT a canned fish fan, here. Don't let the avatar fool you. :mrgreen:
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Return to Scripture and Lore