Proper Winter Solstice Greetings

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Proper Winter Solstice Greetings

Postby The Prophet J on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:58 am

His Holiness the FSM, asks all deciples to recongize the return of the sun, and it's
important contribution to the semolina and hopps crops.
And in order to socialize with non-believers at these their false
religious rites, we shall adopt the following phrases to acknowledge
the FSM and the season.

Happy Noodleroni
or
Merry Noolderoni

The Prophet J
The Prophet J
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Proper Winter Solstice Greetings

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Careful, PhrophetJ, remember the Seventh "I'd Really Rather You Didn't":

7. I'd really rather you didn't go around telling people I talk to you. You're not that interesting. Get over yourself. And I told you to love your fellow man, can't you take a hint?

His Noodliness, the FSM (pesto be upon him), does not talk to anybody. Except maybe the Great Prophet Bobby (pesto be upon him, too).

But Happy "Holiday" to you anyway!
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Edd on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:07 pm

I believe we are experiencing another great transition in the celebration originally associated with the winter solstice. First, the Christian church co-opted Saturnalia celebrations and Mithra’s birthday. Now, most likely due (at least in part) to commercialization, Americans and others are not only secularizing the holiday but the phrase ‘Merry Christmas’ as well!

Call it whatever you want. Remember the bard:

‘What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.’
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby maldaen on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:01 pm

Let's not forget the misappropriation of Norse winter solstice myths that turned Odin into Santa Claus.
maldaen
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:36 pm

maldaen wrote:Let's not forget the misappropriation of Norse winter solstice myths that turned Odin into Santa Claus.

I heard an interesting programme on the radio years ago about how the Santa Claus image / story developed. He was apparently a bit sinister in his pre-Coca Cola days, and as well as delivering presents to good children, he delivered switches to beat the bad ones with.

The programme argued that in parts of Scandinavia and Greenland where they have reindeer they also have fly agaric mushrooms (the classic fairy tale ones - red cap with white patches), which the reindeer sometimes eat. Fly agarics are poisonous and hallucinogenic, and one of the most common 'trips' experienced by those misguided enough to try one is to imagine that you are flying.

So you've got a guy dressed in red and white who flies around with a bunch of reindeer laughing his ass off all the time, who has such a distorted sense of time that he thinks he can visit all the kiddies in the world in one night. Sounds like drugs to me...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Return to Scripture and Lore