Quotes from the Canon, for sermons etc.

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Quotes from the Canon, for sermons etc.

Postby Lasanius on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 am

I've started quoting from the Canon in my sermons. They're in German, but here's my first example:

http://venganza.ch/?p=225

I quote and then usually translate the bits that I've quoted for those not fluent in His Divine Tongue of English.

Some other religions seem to use some sort of shorthand to quote scripture. I've used "Piraticus 5:5" there. What do you think about that approach? The numbering should remain static, I'm not worried there, but what about the names of the books? Are there official short names?
Lasanius
Ziti Zealot

Re: Quotes from the Canon, for sermons etc.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:36 pm

It's not listed in the table of contents on the loose canon site, so it probably slipped by you, but this page has a list of abbreviations: http://www.loose-canon.info/page3.htm

As it says, it's not an authoritative list, just some suggestions so people don't have to start from scratch. Nice little sermon, I hope I got the right gist of it from google translate. :P
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Re: Quotes from the Canon, for sermons etc.

Postby Lasanius on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Oh, thanks! Great, I really didn't know that's there. I'll use those from now on, if nothing else it'll prevent confusion.

I have a new sermon lined up for this Friday that comdemns the large Swiss banks, their management and multinational companies with their tax evasion schemes. It's about greed, two good citations for that in the Canon, too.

I wonder if I could do the sermons in English as well. Would probably reach a larger audience ;) Then again, I write from a Swiss perspective and that might bore everyone else to tears.
Lasanius
Ziti Zealot

Return to Scripture and Lore