What the F***?

Home for all languages OTHER than plain old English (all varieties)

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby DeadPoet on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:34 pm

I'll take your word for that. I'm very bad at writing Dutch, although I can to some extemnd express myself orally when in the Netherlands. And it was actually a quotation that only an old German could understand ;-).
DeadPoet
The Resident Resident

Postby Duke on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:04 pm

Aye, I bet this "Vandal" character is off getting banned on other forums by now..........................

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby DeadPoet on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:28 pm

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:OK, so translate that for the dumb American, or i'll put the uck back in his title...

The Dutch thing? It's an absolutely silly Karl May quote...."I'm an unhappy hippopotamus". As a kid, I used to read Karl May books, and I remembered this quote :mrgreen: .
DeadPoet
The Resident Resident

Postby Grim Squeaker on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:15 am

DeadPoet wrote:
Auntie Dee Dee wrote:OK, so translate that for the dumb American, or i'll put the uck back in his title...

The Dutch thing? It's an absolutely silly Karl May quote...."I'm an unhappy hippopotamus".

Your translation however literally states "I am an unbelieveable hippopotamus" - which the Dutch depending on context will interpret as "Oh gosh.. I am soooooo clumsy/fat/stupid" etc.

The rest translates as follows:

Long live the hippopotamus, what a marvellous beast
Fat, lazy and ugly it lies in the river
You never hear him complain, the hippo has style
He lies all day with his bottom in the Nile.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.â€￾
Stephen Roberts
Grim Squeaker
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby DeadPoet on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:11 am

I suppose Karl May never learned Dutch :mrgreen: . I don't think he learned any other language than 19th-century German. The guy was, by today's standards, a nationalist, christian fundamentalist and racist author. But in his time, he was probably just average. I think he wrote about 74 books...but if you have read a dozen, you have read them all.
DeadPoet
The Resident Resident

Postby StephyMerirosvo on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:20 pm

By the way, I don't know a word of Dutch, I just asked a friend to traslate it, for curiosity purposes and he corrected the orthograph in the same time... so I'm just as good as the "dumb americans" ;)
StephyMerirosvo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Duke on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:41 pm

Grim Squeaker wrote:Long live the hippopotamus, what a marvellous beast
Fat, lazy and ugly it lies in the river
You never hear him complain, the hippo has style
He lies all day with his bottom in the Nile.

Now that is a great poem.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby StephyMerirosvo on Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:09 am

Long live the Hippos!!! FSM put the Hippos on earth so that we can find them cute when they yawn!

Hippos rock!
StephyMerirosvo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Jacques Cartier 2.0 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:44 pm

In the name of all nice Quebecer I pledge your pardon.

I hope the curent snowstorm in Quebec City buries this moron (Vandal)forever.

Vandal is curently banned forever from the beer volcano!
Jacques Cartier 2.0

:worship: :fsm_worried:
Jacques Cartier 2.0
Ziti Zealot

Postby StephyMerirosvo on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:24 pm

No beer for Vandal!!! No remodeling at the stripper factory!! haha!! He's going to be threatened by pirates for eternity! While Vandal will suffer, I will have had a re-youngering at the stripper factory, will enjoy the strippers and the beer volcano.

I want a dark honey beer like the one I got in Tallinn, a few of the Belgian beers and all the Unibroue collection. I'll have eternity to taste and enjoy it! How could I worship an other god, I wonder? The FSM is the best Monster I've ever met! And all the others never found it useful to reveal to me, besides Vandal of course... but he's just threatening me, there would be no point in believing in him...

And in heaven I'll have a very small hippo, the size of a squirel. And a squirel, why not? I prefer those to parrots...
StephyMerirosvo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Jacques Cartier 2.0 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:03 pm

StephyMerirosvo wrote:And in heaven I'll have a very small hippo, the size of a squirel. And a squirel, why not? I prefer those to parrots...

Why not a squirrel the size of a hippo?

Héhéhé

On condamne Vandal à boire des grosses O'keefe tablettes pour l'éternité!
Jacques Cartier 2.0

Jacques Cartier 2.0
Ziti Zealot

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:58 am

StephyMerirosvo wrote:Long live the Hippos!!! FSM put the Hippos on earth so that we can find them cute when they yawn!

Hippos rock!

You should read this month's Smithsonian Magazine.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby StephyMerirosvo on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:05 am

See they say the hippos laugh! "humph humph humph" they say!

Just like the FSM itself laughs :fsm_rock: humph humph

But, J.C., I'd rather like a hippo of the size of a squirel then the opposite... As you're from Québec you might have seen that advertisement against the power of TV (the "don't believe everything you see on screen" kind of ad) where they show this oh so cute like "hippopotame de maison". It's basically a purple hippo that lives in mice holes. Personnaly, I wouldn't mind the color and I would take it even at the size of a squirel. I don't ask that much to geneticians, am I? ;)

Je sais pas... les O'Keefe tablettes c'est quand même pas si pire quand on y pense... (ok, faut penser longtemps, j'te l'accorde). Si on le forçait plutôt à boire de la Bud light, chaude (pas tablette, chaude!!)?

Edit : (pas ma faute, moi j'aime bien la Labatt 50, mais pas tablette... bien froide!)
StephyMerirosvo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:24 am

But hey, they have pink, freshwater dolphins, why not hippo mice?

duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Jacques Cartier 2.0 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:22 pm

StephyMerirosvo wrote:As you're from Québec you might have seen that advertisement against the power of TV where they show this oh so cute like "hippopotame de maison". It's basically a purple hippo that lives in mice holes. Personnaly, I wouldn't mind the color and I would take it even at the size of a squirel. I don't ask that much to geneticians, am I? ;)

I'm just waiting for the "éléphant de garage" to came on the market... :-)

StephyMerirosvo wrote:Je sais pas... les O'Keefe tablettes c'est quand même pas si pire quand on y pense... (ok, faut penser longtemps, j'te l'accorde). Si on le forçait plutôt à boire de la Bud light, chaude (pas tablette, chaude!!)?

Edit : (pas ma faute, moi j'aime bien la Labatt 50, mais pas tablette... bien froide!)

Moi je bois surtout de la Molson Export tablette... j'ai pas de réfrigérateur à mon chalet. J'ai dit O'keefe car la majorité du monde n'aime pas çà mais j'aime bien la 50... Je suis d'accord que de la Bud lite chaude pisse c'est un tourment digne de l'éternité.
Jacques Cartier 2.0

Jacques Cartier 2.0
Ziti Zealot

PreviousNext

Return to Languages Other than English