Help for children learning new languages

Home for all languages OTHER than plain old English (all varieties)

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Help for children learning new languages

Postby BossOfTheGame on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi, I am currently learning french, and my brother, who is 4 (I am 19), is being raised in a household where only one language is spoken fluently. Because he is still very young, I thought it would be a good thing for him to learn a new language. I was thinking about French, just because I could talk to him to reinforce it. There are many advantages of being bilingual from a young age. I wish I was able to learn one at this point in my life. Because I don't have a strong grasp of French I wouldn't be able to teach him. Does anyone have any recommendations to teach him, particularly a video of some sort, or audio tapes. I'm at college 1/2 of the year so I won't be around to help him.

SUM ARBITER BIBINTI

Hqrsie wrote:It would be nice to discover intelligent life.

Even better if it were discovered on Earth.
BossOfTheGame
Ziti Zealot

Re: Help for children learning new languages

Postby San Kukai on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:27 am

Hi, I'm french by the way, and father of two bilingual daughters (french and spanish) of 7 and 4.
The best thing to do for young children is to give them movies they like and they know, in another language. You can find Nemo or Ratatouille in french on the internet easily. Find a french TV if you can, with children programs. Then, your brother will have some french background when he goes to school and can learn french with a teacher.

May the Pasta be with you both.
San Kukai
Ziti Zealot

Re: Help for children learning new languages

Postby fajro on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:29 am

BossOfTheGame wrote:Hi, I am currently learning french, and my brother, who is 4 (I am 19), is being raised in a household where only one language is spoken fluently. Because he is still very young, I thought it would be a good thing for him to learn a new language. I was thinking about French, just because I could talk to him to reinforce it. There are many advantages of being bilingual from a young age. I wish I was able to learn one at this point in my life. Because I don't have a strong grasp of French I wouldn't be able to teach him. Does anyone have any recommendations to teach him, particularly a video of some sort, or audio tapes. I'm at college 1/2 of the year so I won't be around to help him.

How about Esperanto?
It's easy and a good first second language. 8)

See:
Esperanto for kids
Propaedeutic value of Esperanto
Lernu.net

San Kukai wrote:The best thing to do for young children is to give them movies they like and they know, in another language.
That's a good one! :)
fajro
Conchigliette Convert

Return to Languages Other than English