Great Schism?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Great Schism?

Postby EarthRise on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:58 pm

Okay, so what's the deal about a "Great Schism" that has occurred? I hear half-whispers about it.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:17 am

Well, I haven't heard of anything called the great schism, but I think I might know what you are talking about. As you might know Auntie Dee Dee was the top admin of the forums for a good long time. But a few months ago, Bobby Henderson himself, the head honcho, came around, and he thought that Auntie Dee Dee was being a little too strict with the forum, so he removed her from her post. She, as well as other moderators and members, left the forums altogether. Many of them went to the Toadfish Monastery, which I can tell ya'll about later. I'd call it more of an exodus than a schism though. But this might not be what you're talking about at all.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Jean Bart on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:25 am

Maybe with a chism more people will take FSM seriously! :wink:
Well, after all this movement is built on people sharing more or less the same convictions, and some tend to be stricter than others, for the good of the cause, I'd say.
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:23 pm

Well, what happened was based on people and actions instead of values, like most schisms. When I say Auntie Dee Dee was strict as the administrator, I'm just saying that she kept forum things more tightly regulated, and Bobby thought it was a little too far.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:28 pm

and he deals with this... rather strictly....

that is to say, spontaneous removal of admin powers before any sort of complaint to DD (from bobby).

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:and he deals with this... rather strictly....

that is to say, spontaneous removal of admin powers before any sort of complaint to DD (from bobby).

~Qwerty

The way I heard it, Bobby had already gotten plenty of complaints about DD. Apparently, Bobby had been working on this for months. And apparently, he didn't give DD a warning, but I suppose he apparently thought that she didn't need one. But it did seem awfully abrupt at the time.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:09 pm

yeah, I was saying no complaints to DD from Bobby.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Duke on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Not arguing that.

Anyway, that's the little big thing that happened, in case anyone's wondering.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Antipaladin on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:16 pm

That makes me very sad on a number of levels. Something similar happened to one of my favourite forums. It was never the same...
He's dastardly. He loves catastrophy. His schemes are masterly. Sixteen and half-past-three.
Antipaladin
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Brother Boyardee on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Ah shucks, I thought maybe a REAL schism was happening, like splitting into fundamentalism ("cheese from a green can is strictly forbidden!") and moral reletivism ("it's not real parmesan, but it's so good, and no one gets hurt!").

I think when we start to split into factions it will mean Pastafarianism will have truly arrived - it's worked for Christians, Muslims and Jews. But I don't know whether it will ever happen, because our god has one key fault in this regard; he makes his expectations quite clear (see the Rather You Didn'ts). In order to split into different sects you need to have a god with a communication problem - one who can't make his expectations clear, thus leading to endless debate and schisms and ultimately different sects. We are 'cursed', in a sense, with a perfect diety, and we will never have the benefits of a good ole religious schism.

Bless His Noodly Greatness.

Brother Boyardee
Brother Boyardee
Ziti Zealot

Return to All Things FSM