Just a Joke, Right?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Just a Joke, Right?

Postby Twicky on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:00 am

I'm interested in becoming a Pastafarian, because it has pirates, and everyone loves pirates. :pirate_fish: Also, I hate Intelligent *cough* design. One thing I need to make sure of though is that this religeon is just a joke right? I heard there were people who actually believed this stuff. Just making sure.
Twicky
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Just a Joke, Right?

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:28 am

Twicky wrote:I'm interested in becoming a Pastafarian, because it has pirates, and everyone loves pirates. :pirate_fish: Also, I hate Intelligent *cough* design. One thing I need to make sure of though is that this religeon is just a joke right? I heard there were people who actually believed this stuff. Just making sure.

Religion is always a joke to some.

Not to others.

Don't be too quick to say that it is 'just a joke' however, as you could say the same thing of any any religion on the planet.

Some people here really do believe, others appreciate the religion for different reasons.

:pirate_fish: :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish:
Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby MPTrooper on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:59 am

There are indeed people who belive "this stuff" and you would do well to show them tolerence.

All religions depend on Faith in order to maintain a belife in them. Please don't let any of this discourae you from posting here. As a Catholic I have argure politics and Religion with people of many different faiths. Some are Christian like myself while others are hardcore Atheist. The reason I continue to come back here is the dagree of respect we are required to maintain as well as the intelligent discussion often found here.

Enjoy your time here and with any luck you'll walk away a tad bit smarter then when you arrived. :)
MPTrooper

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:23 am

Nooo!! It's true I tell ya!! It's all true!! It's as true as creation theory!! How can you argue with that logic?

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Smug Uncertainties
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby Capellini on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:36 am

Twicky wrote:I'm interested in becoming a Pastafarian, because it has pirates, and everyone loves pirates. :pirate_fish: Also, I hate Intelligent *cough* design. One thing I need to make sure of though is that this religeon is just a joke right? I heard there were people who actually believed this stuff. Just making sure.

As far as I know, there is only one member who actually believes the FSM is real - the rest of us believe in it as allegorically true.

However, the non-religious elements of the movement are things people take very seriously. We aren't here just to make fun of ID and joke about beer and pirates. Also, we have a number of religious members, so we're very gung-ho about religious tolerance.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby leapofaith97 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:12 pm

Capellini wrote: As far as I know, there is only one member who actually believes the FSM is real - the rest of us believe in it as allegorically true.

Now who would that be?
ken worley wrote:The rule is,

"Leaves of three, let it be..."

"Leaves of four, run home, press it in a diary, then put some pink ribbons in your hair, skip over to your boyfriend's house, and spend the next three hours tongue-kissing him."
leapofaith97
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Twicky on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:33 pm

I would like to rephrase what I said. I'm all for tolerance, but I just wanted to make sure that I'm not joining a real religeon. I thought it was intended as a joke in the first place, when someone said that there is no proof that God doesn't exist, and the prophet said there is also no proof that a FSM doesn't exist. I heard he even said it wasn't real. The Gospel of the FSM was nominated for a comedy reward, after all.
Twicky
Conchigliette Convert

Postby SC-Pastafarian on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:43 pm

Yes, FSMism was created as a satirical religion. Depending on the section of the forum, most of us refer to it as our true religion (this being one of them).
As far as it being a real religion. I guess that could be debatable. :wink:
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-Konrad Adenauer
SC-Pastafarian
Bucatini Buccanneer

Location: Holding an empty mug to the mouth of a beer volcano.

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:48 pm

SC-Pastafarian wrote:Yes, FSMism was created as a satirical religion. Depending on the section of the forum, most of us refer to it as our true religion (this being one of them).
As far as it being a real religion. I guess that could be debatable. :wink:

Well... what exactly constitutes a REAL religion?

They are real if one person says they are real.

Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Twicky wrote:I would like to rephrase what I said. I'm all for tolerance, but I just wanted to make sure that I'm not joining a real religeon. I thought it was intended as a joke in the first place, when someone said that there is no proof that God doesn't exist, and the prophet said there is also no proof that a FSM doesn't exist. I heard he even said it wasn't real. The Gospel of the FSM was nominated for a comedy reward, after all.

Argh... the jokers here...

No, Twicky, by participating here or even referring to yourself as a Pastafarian, you are not joining a religion, real or otherwise. That's between you and your god(s), monster(s) or the Universe, however you like it.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Tahin on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:00 am

While we're on the subject... has anyone every thought that some major world religion might have actually started out as a joke?
Or conversely, maybe FSM will one day transform into a serious religion complete with zealots and holy wars... Hey, people are just stupid enough.
Tahin
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Duke on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:36 am

Tahin wrote:While we're on the subject... has anyone every thought that some major world religion might have actually started out as a joke?

No, but, come to think of it, some of them seem an awful lot like jokes... *Ahem* But I try not to laugh. :D

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:20 am

some blieve the FSM to be 100% true and in that sense that is their religion. but the majoirty of the people here have another religion or atheism, but ROle Play as Pastafarian. it's just soooo much fun.

this forum is not for the bona fide religion part (which is small). its for the anti-ID-in-public-school-science-class organization/movement.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby SC-Pastafarian on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:19 am

Pastafarian Pirate wrote:Well... what exactly constitutes a REAL religion?

They are real if one person says they are real.

Exactly what I was getting at. :wink:
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-Konrad Adenauer
SC-Pastafarian
Bucatini Buccanneer

Location: Holding an empty mug to the mouth of a beer volcano.

Postby dbutler on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:50 pm

I show tolerance to people of all religions so long as they do not use those religions to invade other peoples lives. I feel that FSM has as much validity as any large religion currently believed in. When some people bash FSM as being ludicrous, they are (in my opinion) inadvertantly bashing their own religion, if they hold one. So being a member on this site does not mean you must genuinely believe the truth of the gospels of FSM but only that you appreciate it's usefulness in combatting the teaching of ID in public schools.

**Edited spelling of Site - oops :)**
dbutler
Ziti Zealot

Next

Return to All Things FSM