Pastafarian Repression

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Are you allowed on this site at work?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 13

Pastafarian Repression

Postby jamesbell4 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:13 am

At work I am explicity allowed to access the web for reasonable personal use, including religious sites, but am blocked by Blue Coat (R) ProxySG(TM) from venganza.org as it is classified under "Blogs/Newsgroups".

I have successfully asked them to remove the "Humor/Jokes" catagory and am pursuing reclasification to Religion.

If they refuse I will ask my employer to take action!
jamesbell4
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Pastafarian Repression

Postby E.Raser on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:39 am

jamesbell4 wrote:At work I am explicity allowed to access the web for reasonable personal use, including religious sites, but am blocked by Blue Coat (R) ProxySG(TM) from venganza.org as it is classified under "Blogs/Newsgroups".

I have successfully asked them to remove the "Humor/Jokes" catagory and am pursuing reclasification to Religion.

If they refuse I will ask my employer to take action!

Sure, and I'll present an act at ONU,and Council of Europe against this violation og Human Rights.

Machiavelli >>>>>>>>>>homo sapiens>>>>>>>>pirates>>>>FSM>>>>>>>>>Machiavelli ( circular )
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby iEmcee on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:52 am

This site is blocked at my school
- iEmcee

:worship: :fsm:
iEmcee
Ziti Zealot

Go bluecoat!

Postby jamesbell4 on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:53 am

A cheerful chap at Bluecoat (or perhaps FSM himself) replied to my request. In short he reclassified venganza in bluecoat's listing to "Political/Activists" so now both myself and my newly converted colleagues can enjoy venganza it all its noodly glory.

:worship:

Full dialogue bellow:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: filtering at bluecoat.com [mailto:filtering at bluecoat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:09 PM
To: Bell, James
Subject: RE: Site Submission Results

Thank you for submitting www.venganza.org/ to Blue Coat Systems, Inc.

You suggested the following rating(s): Religion, and Sexuality/Alternative Lifestyles
Your comments were: "This is a religous site."

This site has been reviewed. Previously, it was rated as Humor/Jokes, and Blogs/Newsgroups. These ratings have been changed. The site is now rated as Blogs/Newsgroups.

It can take up to 24 hours for the changes to be reflected in our system.

ProxySGâ„¢ Rating Update Cycle

It is important to note that new ratings or additions to or deletions of an existing rating are part of a daily update cycle. Blue Coat Systems© builds the update files at 5:15 PM Mountain time. Rating updates are posted at midnight Eastern time and available after that time to update the ratings on ProxySG™ devices.

Submissions received up to 5:00 PM Mountain time are processed in that day’s batch. Any submission(s) received after 5:00 PM Mountain time; do not get processed until the following day.

Since Blue Coat’s desktop client K9™ and certain OEM partners update differently, ratings may differ from those of a ProxySG™ as well as those present on the site submission page.

If you continue to have problems, or if you have any other questions, feel free to reply to this message.

Thank you,

Blue Coat Web Filter
filtering at bluecoat.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 2:19 AM
To: GROUP-Filtering

Dear Blue Coat Web Filter,

I am writing to you in a personal capacity.

The organisation I work for takes religion seriously, and allows its employees reasonable use of the internet for personal use.

My company's IT policy explicitly allows us to access religious sites, and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights article 18 states everyone has the right to freedom of religion, in public, teaching, worship and observance.

I previously asked for the site http://www.venganza.org to be reclassified

Thank you for your decision that my religion is not joke.

You claim to have removed the site http://www.venganza.org/ from the "Humour/Joke" category but when I attempt to access it Blogs/Newsgroups;Humour/Jokes are both still contained in the denial message.

I appreciate the change may occur during today's batch update and will try again tomorrow.

However I am still asking you to reclassify the site to religion due to its clearly religious content.

Most websites allow users to post messages to other readers, including sites such such as the www.bbc.co.uk

That does not make that site a newsgroup or bog.

Debate is a healthy and necessary attribute of religion. The primary purpose of http://www.venganza.org is to spread the word of Pastafarianism and provide resources to believers and information to others.

If you really feel the need to stifle religious free speech then keep http://www.venganza.org/forum/ as a newsgroup or similar classification and reclassify the remainder of the site to what it should be.

I look forward to your response.

Yours faithfully,

James Bell.

Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:25 PM
To: Bell, James
Cc: Smith, Simon; Pal, Steve; Shortland, Jon; Fuller-smith, Daniel; Pal, Steve

Mr. Bell et al,

It is my pleasure to reply to your email. I believe Blue Coat was more than generous in removing the Humor/Jokes classification from http://www.venganza.org; particularly in light of this excerpt taken from a blurb featured prominently on it’s landing page, which as an aside needs to be updated since the awards have come and gone -

“The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has been nominated for the 2006 Quill Awards in the Humor Category! Thank you to everyone who voted.â€￾ It lost in case you missed it.

Or let’s examine the words of your founder Bobby Henderson, speaking here of the now infamous Kansas letter during an interview held with USA Today, published in March of this year - http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/20 ... ster_x.htm.

"I wrote the letter for my own amusement as much as anything. And it totally snowballed. Some people say I'm going to hell."

And let’s consider the tenets of The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster such as,

• A "Flying Spaghetti Monster" created the universe, Earth and its creatures, making a few mistakes on the way after drinking heavily from heaven's beer volcano.

• The FSM hid dinosaur fossils underground to "dupe mankind" about Earth's true age and is the secret force behind gravity, pushing everything downward with its "noodly appendage." An observation, I guess noodly here means noodle like?

• The FSM wants everyone to talk and dress like pirates. Global warming is considered a punishment for the relative scarcity of pirates these days.

• Every Friday is a sloth-filled holy day. Instead of "amen," devotees end missives with "R'amen," in honor of the college student's favorite noodle fare.

Both Pastafarian and the lay person ought to appreciate the absurdist humor in these pronouncements though they do highlight many of the equally absurd notions proffered by many religions of the world which I believe is really the point in all this after all. In fact one could make a reasonable argument that http://www.venganza.org is not really a religion per say so much as it is anti-religion, at least in terms of the way it promulgates agnostic or even atheistic views.

One could also argue that Mr. Henderson is a master satirist. A satirist who is providing an important function by allowing those frustrated with some of the more mainstream (not to imply correct) views a rallying point leading to discussion and debate, hence the Blogs/Newsgroup rating. But with that being said you raise an interesting point about many websites allowing users to post messages to other readers, including sites such as the www.bbc.co.uk. As a result I’ve removed that rating.

While I would be happy to petition for an addition to the Humor category such as Humor/Jokes/Parody to better address sites such as http://www.venganza.org for the time being I will leave off the recently removed Humor flag.

The real problem is that http://www.venganza.org does not really fit our Religion class whose definition I have included here.

“Sites that promote and provide information on conventional or unconventional religious or quasi-religious subjects, as well as churches, synagogues, or other houses of worship. Does not include sites containing alternative religions such as Wicca or witchcraft (Cult/Occult) or atheist beliefs (Political/Activist Groups)â€￾

“Unconventionalâ€￾ maybe but that’s stretching things. So we are left with a conundrum here as your other suggestion, Sexuality/Alternative Lifestyles, is not really suitable either and would most surely result in a block from your end anyway, at least where you to attempt to access the site while, ahem… working. What to do, what to do?

After mulling all the possibilities I could take the Pontius Pilates approach (there’s that silly religion creeping into things again) and recommend that you ask your IT group to simply allow the site and wash my hands of it, you and your ilk, but at Blue Coat we take our jobs seriously (for the most part) so I am going to affix http://www.venganza.org with a Political/Activists sticker though that may still be flagged to block as part of your governing Internet access policy in which case you ought to pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster requesting that he/she/it, intervene in your behalf as I can do no more.

BTW, Political/Activists is defined here as “Sites sponsored by or which provide information on political parties, special interest groups, or any organization that promotes change or reform in public policy, public opinion, social practice, or economic activities.â€￾ Which I find to be most fitting since this brouhaha originated when sides were drawn over the controversy surrounding how to teach students about the origins of life.

In summary the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is really about attempting to sway opinion and promote change when it comes to intelligent design and then there’s the push to get everyone to talk and dress like pirates to contend with…

Note that as company Blue Coat is not taking sides here. Rather we concentrate on trying to map web content to our current category offerings which by our own admission is woefully inadequate in this instance but we try.

Cheers,

Craig Baker
Blue Coat Web Filter Manager
Blue Coat Systems
801-999-2933
801-999-2999
www.bluecoat.com

Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:00 AM
To: Baker, Craig

Craig,

I would like to say thank you for your email and the thoroughness or your reply.

I can happily now access the site due to your diligent work.

It has been a real pleasure to have dealings with you, your professionalism and dedication is to be commend.

May you be welcomed into beer volcano heaven by many strippers (should it be acceptable to you).

Many thanks,

James.

Sent: 7/11/2006

Sweet… now that’s a religion I can really get behind.

Take care,

Craig Baker

www.bluecoat.com :worship:
jamesbell4
Conchigliette Convert

Postby E.Raser on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:43 am

iEmcee wrote:This site is blocked at my school

which school, Eminence ?
Because we are all busy with attempt :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish: against Pope in Turkey :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish:
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Fatwalrus on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:36 am

I don't have a job :)
I'm a Christian: I worship Chris.
Fatwalrus
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby KidDirty on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:49 am

Fatwalrus wrote:I don't have a job :)

Ditto!

I have been playing the lottery alot lately though, to make up for it.

Does that count?
"Please, he's no different from the rest of you organisms. Shooting DNA at each other to make babies ... I find it offensive." - Bender

"..it's a success that hasn't occurred yet." -Homeland Security Advisor to Bush Frances Townsend, on the subject of the failure to capture Osama Bin Laden.
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby FireFox on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:34 am

“Sites that promote and provide information on conventional or unconventional religious or quasi-religious subjects, as well as churches, synagogues, or other houses of worship. Does not include sites containing alternative religions such as Wicca or witchcraft (Cult/Occult) or atheist beliefs (Political/Activist Groups)â€￾

I will say what the hell is that crap? (from the second letter's definition of a religion worthy of being exept from the filter)

then again I did get block from accessing this "hard core prawn"* website from work as part of my required job:
http://spcs.org.nz/

Steven
*the link is completely worksafe (assuming your work does not object to idiotic busy bodies who object to just about everything), and the 0 is intended to show the general idiocy of some spam blockers. Might Mods feel free to change if you want.
fuck it, see it pings even that!!!!
FireFox
Stele Second Mate

work noodles

Postby NeferKa on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:46 pm

We have two FSMs in our display case at work! I even brought in my giant FSM sculpture to work one day. Image It was also displayed in a public art show at my university in November, which was attended by many of the people with whom I work. (The photo is from the show.) Then again, I work in a science (geography) department.

The biology department at this university has also been touched by the noodly appendages.
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Return to All Things FSM