Flight of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Flight of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Sylvie369 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:19 pm

On Sunday I flew my high power rocket named "The Flying Spaghetti Monster" for the 9th time. This time I used a considerably larger motor than I've used in the past, and sent it to 3894 feet, my personal best altitude. Here are some photos, though not from this weekend's launch:

http://tinyurl.com/a5nrl
http://tinyurl.com/9wmbb

The motor this weekend was an Aerotech J275 54mm "White Lightning" motor consisting of roughly a pound of ammonium perchlorate. As on all of the other flights, the parachutes were deployed using a Missileworks RRC2 altimeter, deploying the drogue 'chute at apogee, and the main chute at about 800 feet.

I also flew a larger, heavier rocket on a motor roughly twice that size, to about 2680 feet using two altimeters for redundant deployment.
He who is not busy being born is busy dying -
Bob Dylan
Sylvie369
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Goat Starer on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:26 pm

I that you holding your rocket on the internet (in the nicest possible sense)? It is a very impressive looking fellow but I think a few trailing noodles, a pair of meatballs and some eye stalks would make all the difference (although it might not be great aerodynamically - a point which applies to the FSM himself now I come to think of it)

Perhaps the real FSM is FSM shaped but the inner shape of the FSM that interacts with physical objects when flying is the shape of your rocket!
Best regards

Goat

--------------------------

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Sylvie369 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:47 pm

Goat Starer wrote:I that you holding your rocket on the internet (in the nicest possible sense)? It is a very impressive looking fellow but I think a few trailing noodles, a pair of meatballs and some eye stalks would make all the difference (although it might not be great aerodynamically - a point which applies to the FSM himself now I come to think of it)

Perhaps the real FSM is FSM shaped but the inner shape of the FSM that interacts with physical objects when flying is the shape of your rocket!

Yeah, that's me.

It would be possible to trail some noodles and eyestalks - there was a guy two pads down from me flying one with rubber snakes coming out the top (Halloween and all..). But I'd never make 3800 feet with that extra drag.

Of course being a deity, the real FSM does not have to be concerned about aerodynamics. That's just an issue for we mere mortals.
Bob Dylan
Sylvie369
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Goat Starer on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:58 pm

darn good thing too or he would be in a lot of trouble :D
Best regards

Goat

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby E.Raser on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:19 am

Sylvie369 wrote: the real FSM does not have to be concerned about aerodynamics.

I think it is hard to strike that hayloft near landing area using parachutes at 800 feet.
But this is the flight of FSM: many variables.
Studying well the parachute, maving external water of ballast , could be possible to land near the target.
Id does not meet the empty of air :mrgreen:
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Sylvie369 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:01 am

We generally try our best NOT to hit things, but I did have a student group this summer involved in a contest to land near a target. We used a radio control unit that allowed us to fire a charge to open the main parachute when we thought we were in a good spot to land near the target. We did pretty well, and won $500 for our efforts.
Bob Dylan
Sylvie369
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby KC Observer on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:12 pm

Wow - 3894 feet; did you need to file a flight plan? Serious question as at that height, it could have possible interfered with air traffic, depending on location. Great acheivment!
The Pope
KC Observer
Mod

Postby Sylvie369 on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:31 am

KC Observer wrote:Wow - 3894 feet; did you need to file a flight plan? Serious question as at that height, it could have possible interfered with air traffic, depending on location. Great acheivment!

Not a flight plan, but a "waiver". We have to notify the FAA anytime we fly anything over a pound or a certain amount of propellant. Over 3.3 pounds or a certain larger amount of propellant, we have to get permission from the FAA to fly.

In either case, they file a Notice to Airmen to warn them of our flights. We're also restricted to flying free of clouds, and we're of course responsible for avoiding aircraft. We take that extremely seriously, of course.

We had an 18,000 foot waiver, I believe, and there were several flights over 15,000 feet. The largest rocket was I believe a 200-pound one.
Bob Dylan
Sylvie369
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Goat Starer on Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:27 am

I thought you might like to see my rockets.

I have helpfully labelled them....

1) pointy bit
2) little wings (front)
3) little wings (back)
4) and 5) general gubbins
6) wheely things

I was going to file a waiver with the with the FAA before flying them but that seemed to be missing the point...

Best regards

Goat

Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby E.Raser on Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 am

Goat Starer wrote:I thought you might like to see my rockets.

the famous
BICAZZUS MONOPALLIDIS
2 penis ant only one ball :mrgreen:
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Goat Starer on Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 am

famous BICAZZUS MONOPALLIDIS! but not famous enough to appear when googled???????????

I imagine this would translate as BIPHALLUS MONOSPHERE!
Best regards

Goat

Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby E.Raser on Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:09 am

Goat Starer wrote:famous BICAZZUS MONOPALLIDIS! but not famous enough to appear when googled???????????

sorry, the name in latin does not work in google.
The english vulgar name is:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi? ... =Abstracts

a case of diphallus associated with imperforate anus :mrgreen:
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Y'aaaaaaarrdvark on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:02 pm

^^Duh :P

That's cool, I've always wanted to have a huge mofo rocket like that one.
When wearing an eyepatch, always remember may be closer or farther away than they appear.
Y'aaaaaaarrdvark
Ziti Zealot

Postby Sylvie369 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:58 pm

Y'aaaaaaarrdvark wrote:^^Duh :P

That's cool, I've always wanted to have a huge mofo rocket like that one.

I've flown a bigger one several times, and I'm working on an even bigger one, one that will probably make it a mile into the air.
Bob Dylan
Sylvie369
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby E.Raser on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:36 am

Sylvie369 wrote:
I've flown a bigger one several times, and I'm working on an even bigger one, one that will probably make it a mile into the air.

But a missile is not good for flying into air.
Its range is the space.
Renato Vesco has teached us that UFO are good for flying into air.
Even if I do not know " il turbogetto ad iperaspirazione " , I can only understanf the Pelton, Francis, Kaplan turbines.
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Return to All Things FSM