So How much is real?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

So How much is real?

Postby PsiPro on Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:51 pm

So I consider myself to be a devout catholic, and devout to the FSM.

I can never get enough of the hate-mail, it just cracks me up how so many so called 'loving' people can be so hatefull.... If they were truly loving would they not preach their own gospels to 'save' us all?

I certianly hope catholics refrain from the hate mail, however I know they don't. It is just not in the spirit of FSM or christianity to write such mails. God/FSM is kind, I refrence to picture in the top left. Dosn't he look gentle?

And my favorite comment of all
how you can conclude that a “Flying Spaghetti Monsterâ€￾

my responce, it is honestly easier to conceive of the FSM creating everythign then an infinite being of compassion and power and I know for a fact no human brain can comprehend the concept of infinity. But twice a week at dinner I comprehend the concept of a flying spaghetti monster (I make a point to throw my spaghetti in his honor for my guests).

So I ask, how much of the hate mail do you think is real? How much of it is conceived by people so they have somthing to flame? Are people really so willfully ignoratnt to the concept of logically analyzing FSM vs. Anything?

So I was bored waiting for class to start, but I'd appreciated any intelectual stimulation you can give me :)
PsiPro
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ke_mikiao on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:05 pm

Sadly, i think the vast majority of the hate mail is real. Some people get violently angry when their faith is challenged.

I'm sure that a select few are guys posting something they and thier buddies can chuckle about later because they think it will ruin Bobby's life.

The long, preachy speeches i would almost bet money on, are sincere.
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby exanglo on Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:58 am

It's a well-known fact that some of the nuttiest people in the world are religious nuts. :D
Hail Him and His Noodly Apendage, for He created all, beginning with a mountain, a tree, and a midgit.

Why are pirates pirates?
Because they Arr!
:pirate_fish::pirate_fish::pirate_fish:
exanglo
Ziti Zealot

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:23 am

that and... um... genius scientists....

like, Newton threaded a needle through his eye, and was dissappointed becaus either he dind't or he did see black spots. he thought that vision might've been caused by pressure or something.

and we all know Einstein was nutty.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Aeger on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:03 pm

HEY, I don't wear socks either. It really does make you more intelligent.

And all major religions state that they're the real one. Therefore, it is the member of that religion's duty to view all other religions as false. If a person with this mindset can be easily provoked, there's your hate mail right there.
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Sylvie369 on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:18 pm

Aeger wrote:And all major religions state that they're the real one. Therefore, it is the member of that religion's duty to view all other religions as false. If a person with this mindset can be easily provoked, there's your hate mail right there.

I read a really interesting book related to this back in the spring. It's Daniel Dennett's newest book, "Breaking the Spell", about looking into the origins of religion. It's an evolutionary account of religion, but not the way most people think. According to Dennett, it is religion that adapts to us much more than it is that we adapt to religion. One major way in which religions adapt is to require adherents to "view all other religions as false" (as you put it). Dennett would argue (I think) that a truly tolerant religion would not survive in the long run.

As far as the hatemail being real, about 6 years ago I had a letter to the editor on creationism published. Later that evening, I got a phone call from a creationist woman. She said "If evolution is true, how come I've been going to the zoo for 30 years, and I've never seen a monkey turn into a human being? Betcha never thought about that, right?".

I'm not making that up, and yes, she was serious. No matter how idiotic the letter, yes, I probably is real. There are no bounds to the idiocy.
He who is not busy being born is busy dying -
Bob Dylan
Sylvie369
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby PsiPro on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:23 pm

Sylvie369 wrote: Later that evening, I got a phone call from a creationist woman. She said "If evolution is true, how come I've been going to the zoo for 30 years, and I've never seen a monkey turn into a human being? Betcha never thought about that, right?".

Your a braver man then I am. No way would I put contact info on a letter to the editor :) I would just let em work themselves up.

I understand where you are comming from. I was hiking one day with three other friends, two of them Bio. Majors. One of them said they were looking forward to the class on evolution next semester. The third said "Really? They must hate Christians"

The other three rational/scientifically edumacated persons all said "What?" and she went on to explain the obvious and responded with "You dont belive in evoltuion do you?" The two bio majors said that its kinda hard to as a bio major when you are presented with 1000 page books with solid research and evidence. Of course her responce was the same as you had. "Why don't we see it now?"

*in my head*Becasue evolution has been occuring longer then visible animals have been around, and your only 20 years old dip shit*/in my head*

And I went on to explain the many was we do see evolution around us, even in animals.

So that was a tangent.... but thanks for the responce, just wondering what other's opinions are.
PsiPro
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Re: So How much is real?

Postby E.Raser on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:05 pm

PsiPro wrote:
So I ask, how much of the hate mail do you think is real?

So you are catholic.
So you believe in Communion of Saints.
Which a worst bank :mrgreen:
Worse than Monte dei Paschi di Siena.
You suffer,offer you sacrifice to God, and this money is spent to save some idiot dead 200 years ago, in Purgatory without any other chance.
Read R. Bazin "MAGNIFICAT "
Should be a masterly stroke a robbery in that bank, but if someone ask me "your money or your life " I still answer money.
About hate mails are another bank.
Mediolanum ( Berlusconi, Bin Laden etc ): built around you. :mrgreen:
sometimes is real sometimes is not :mrgreen:
But that pig dog next 1th april 2007 will have diarrohea more than 2 hours :shellfish: :pirate_fish: :fsm_yarr:
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby PsiPro on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:08 pm

... I say OK again :)
PsiPro
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby E.Raser on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:45 pm

PsiPro wrote:... I say OK again :)

the refrain of piano :mrgreen:
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby BL!TZ on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:20 pm

Raser pwns man.
hate mails are definitaly another bank.

they are probably all real.
some of them might be a little joking though.

PsiPro wrote:... I say OK again :)

it's best to just not try to understand.
BL!TZ
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby E.Raser on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:38 am

BL!TZ wrote:
it's best to just not try to understand.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we must try to understand how all these banks work.
Because we are pirate and banks are our natural target :shellfish:
E.Raser
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby anthrobabe on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:37 am

Sylvie369 wrote:
As far as the hatemail being real, about 6 years ago I had a letter to the editor on creationism published. Later that evening, I got a phone call from a creationist woman. She said "If evolution is true, how come I've been going to the zoo for 30 years, and I've never seen a monkey turn into a human being? Betcha never thought about that, right?".

I'm not making that up, and yes, she was serious. No matter how idiotic the letter, yes, I probably is real. There are no bounds to the idiocy.

I volunteer at the LR zoo, I am an anthropologist and get this all the time- I practice my "are you nuts look in the mirror"! next time respond--- no they aren't so into punctuated equillibrium that they want to look like the moron Homo sapiens hanging over into their yards, yelling "hey monkey hey look here monkey oh mommy look a the stupid monkey." usually they are talking to APES when they do this.

Of course that is not the deal anyway- apes are not on the way to becoming us- they are their own evolutionary branch and are evolved as themselves just fine! most of you know how evo works- it is not everything below us humans trying to evolve to our great and holy level of superiority- but everything including us humans on its own branch of the evo bush.

Big words- gets them everytime! Of course a nice person could respond with the names of various articles and books on the subject - of course in that case one is assuming that the person has the capacity to actually read and comprehend anything relating to science and evolutionary science.

OR....
Yep you betcha I have thought of it and would be glad to talk to you if you could comprehend it and if I had the time!

So I encourage eveyone to write letters to the editor-- some papers are brave enough to print them despite the backlash they get.

my anthropology club here at UALR is working on the idea of having very small copies of a book like On the Origin of Species or The Blind Watchmaker or something printed to be distributed around campus like the small new testaments are-- I am so stoked about it- I can't wait, watch for me on the national news one day!
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Hate Mail

Postby Duke on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 pm

Hate Mail:

I know at least some of it is real, because I've met the type of people who would send letters like that. It's not pretty. All you need is that kind of person, give him too much time, and.....Hate Mail. Everywhere.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Mock26 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:27 pm

I love how some people will claim that the bible is proof of the existance of god becuase it is written in the bible. Yet, when presented with the written texts of other religions, such as the Norse religion or the Hindu religion, they say that just because it's written in a book doen't make it true. To these people, and all people, I say:

Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief is not evidence.

Take care and have a great day....

ciao,
john.
Mock26
Conchigliette Convert

Next

Return to All Things FSM