Coffee

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Coffee

Postby Captain_Planet on Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:53 am

Does the FSM have any special policies on coffee? If so, what are they? i practiaclly live off coffee and i want to make sure im not offending His noodliness....

:worship: :fsm:
Captain_Planet
Conchigliette Convert

Postby boghog on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:21 am

There are no policies on coffee per se, but personally, I feel that buying fair trade coffee* works well in terms of the "try being nice to people" spirit of Pastafarianism.

However, there are no hard-and-fast rules on coffee (or really on anything - this is a religion with "Suggestions, Not Commandments", after all).

Edit: I too live on coffee.
:D

*BTW for all those interested, Fair Trade coffee tends to be a bit more expensive normally, but the cheapie house brand "Kirkland" whole bean coffee at Costco in Canada is Fair Trade. Not sure if this is true at US Costcos; check the label to be sure.
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Griffin on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:47 am

We do have commandments, a great many indeed, but they are all very easy to keep.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:34 pm

A mocha java may have a slight edge, since it is chocolatastic.

Coffee also goes good with cake, a bonus!

Basically, as long as it doesn't hurt you or anyone else, the FSM tolerates it.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:15 pm

Personally, I consider caffeine a sacrament, especially when combined with high-speed, long-distance driving.

This is how I was Touched by His Noodly Appendage.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:29 pm

While speeding down the highway all jacked up on caffiene goofballs? Indeed, He works in mischievous ways.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Capellini on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:32 pm

I recently read that 3 cups of coffee a day cut your risk of Parkinson's by 40% and Alzheimer's by 20%.

It was a 'fashion' type magazine, though, with no sources, but I plan on searching for some asap.

I LOVE COFFFEEEEEE!!!!!!
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Coffee drinking showed some type of an inverse correlation with depression as well (in women, specifically IIRC) in some relatively recent study. Again, I don't have the source here...

I'm currently developing a love for Turkish coffee (especially with cardamom) and need to get a pot. And Vietnamese coffee, iced with sweetened condensed milk... it :fsm_rock: 's!!!
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Sarky on Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:26 pm

Coffee, despite tasting wonderful, does unspeakably horrible things to my insides. Will the Noodly Lord look down moreso on me if I gain my daily overdose of caffeine from other beverages?
"I'm so excited I just made water in my pantaloons!"

-Emperor Zombie
Sarky
Ziti Zealot

Postby Grey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:24 pm

Woot!

Iced coffee, methinks, is the best...especially a java chip frapaccino. :D
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:40 am

Griffin wrote:We do have commandments, a great many indeed, but they are all very easy to keep.

Can you link that Somewhere i can access...
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:03 am

Sarky wrote:Coffee, despite tasting wonderful, does unspeakably horrible things to my insides. Will the Noodly Lord look down moreso on me if I gain my daily overdose of caffeine from other beverages?

I contend that coffee's worse for one's health than caffeine. I used to be a fastidious caffeine pill abuser in college, and there's better dosage control and less stomach growlies than drinking coffee. Green tea and its variations are my usual non-coffee method of continuous dosage, but not much good for overdosing.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby bubblegumgirl on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:16 am

Having a bit of trouble typing words in the right order at the moment. I just sent my friend off to buy me cofffffeeeeee, with the only prerequsite that it be black black black. (My coffee drink of choice).

He returns 10 minutes later with a necromancer... Basically it was a bucket with a lid on it. I'm now trying to decide if it would be better to just keep drinking more. or to end it here and face the consequenses of the coffee crash.

Lecture here i come. i warn you all.

Ok I just saw the post coffee and I thought it was very relevent to my current state.

So my point is, Coffee good...
"Yes Marge, in Theory, in theory communism works." Homer Simpson

"`This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer, `I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'"

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
bubblegumgirl
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Griffin on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:17 am

Gloria T. Camel wrote:
Griffin wrote:We do have commandments, a great many indeed, but they are all very easy to keep.

Can you link that Somewhere i can access...

Clicketh on the word Commandments. But understand that in doing so you are taking on a whole complex way of life the like of which no one has ever undertaken.............. we good souls who keepeth the Commandments recite them backwards every day....
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby boghog on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:16 am

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:I contend that coffee's worse for one's health than caffeine. I used to be a fastidious caffeine pill abuser in college, and there's better dosage control and less stomach growlies than drinking coffee. Green tea and its variations are my usual non-coffee method of continuous dosage, but not much good for overdosing.

I always stayed away from caffiene pills - they seem to me to be too "unnatural".

And I can't see how anything as good as coffee can be bad for you. :D
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Next

Return to All Things FSM