You guys use BIG words

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

You guys use BIG words

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:27 am

Well...As I said...You guys use BIG words. I'm one of the top students in year 9(yes I know, to people that have already graduated that isn't much but still...) and I still don't understand half the things you say. Generally a session on the forums requires dictionary.com and/or wikipedia up in a seperate window :cry:

Am I just not as gifted by his noodlyness to understand?!

Does the great FSM not want me to understand what you say?

Oh god (Contradictory terms there?!) doesnt he love me to >.<

WWFSMD?

P.s. :fsm_float: Does anyone else think that looks like the nucleus of a sensory nerve or is it just me?
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: You guys use BIG words

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:29 am

Fear not. If it makes you look up the meanings of stuff then it's a learning experience. Since you're from Australiaarrgghh (I like that - thanks) like me, just make sure you realise that dictionary.com has the U.S English (whatever that is) spelling rather than the English English spelling.

There are people here from all levels of education, from Year 7 (12 year old) to Academic. Then there's people like me who have just got past the first year of their tertiary education this late in life (not telling you how old I am), so don't feel out of place if you don't understand something - there's plenty here that a lot of us don't understand (and probably never will). If you feel like you need to understand something... well you'll get used to it once you get the feel of it.

Gloria T. Camel wrote:P.s. :fsm_float: Does anyone else think that looks like the nucleus of a sensory nerve or is it just me?

No - the nucleus of a sensory nerve looks like the FSM - not the other way round - The FSM made us all (including sensory nerves) in his/her/its image, so he/she/it doesn't look like anything else, but everything else looks like the FSM.

If any of that last bit made sense to you then please enlighten me as to how it did.

Saint John the Blasphemist
Saint of Enlightenment
:worship: :fsm:
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:35 am

Yeah ill have to double check what ever im trying to spell is the same either Australian/US spelling...Cheers mate :D

No - the nucleus of a sensory nerve looks like the FSM - not the other way round - The FSM made us all (including sensory nerves) in his image, so he/she/it doesn't look like anything else, but everything else looks like the FSM.

If any of that last bit made sense to you then please enlighten me as to how it did.

yes...I think it made sense...But no way in hell im gonna TRY and tell you...to tierd...I get it, we all look like FSM because FSM was the first living thing and created everything so it would look like him...

But still I mean a rock can look like a circle but a circle can still look like a rock...it works both ways...

yeah cheers anyway
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby nate272 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:06 am

Im only 14 and in 9th grade and understand mostly everything here... I blame television.
w00t!!!
nate272
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:29 am

Yeah see i can understand most things and put things together that i don't know the meaning of, but sometimes its just those darn words that are vital...

In the serious area it's alot like that >.<
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby The Meromorph on Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:28 pm

Gloria,
It's no big deal, we all had to learn those big words before we could use them...
There's probably always going to be lots of 'ten dollar words' in the Serious section. As you yourself pointed out, when you're getting into serious discussion, sometimes they're neccessary so you can say exactly what you mean without taking all day about it. But any one who uses them is expected to know what they mean (even though we sometimes get it wrong even then :roll: ), and therefore should be capable of explaining them in simpler words, even if it might take a paragraph or so.
This site is about education. We like having some heavy discussions going, and we like having younger people who are learning. So a simple question like "What does so-and-so mean?" would be completely ok even, maybe especially, in the middle of a hot and heavy skull-busting session. Anybody that can't (or even worse won't) take the time to explain, ain't worth the respect we've (maybe) been giving them... :mrgreen:
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.
The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby StephyMerirosvo on Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:55 pm

Then, I think I missed something lately (my own fault I stoped visiting - but on my way I've learned quite some Finnish and took a month of vacation in Quebec to find Helsinki at my return all yellow due to a drough... but anyway) Could you explain to me Auntie:
Did you became an alcoholic, rich or you simply went to heaven already, else please precise? (refering to your avatar of course).
I'm happy to be back.

And to support Gloria Camel, sometimes even simple words seem really weird to many of us since there's a lot of people that don't have English as their fisrt language. In my case I can use a French word turned into an English and funnily enough it most of the times sounds wise! :D Maybe because the French sound pedant... oops, did I write that? :fsm_ninja:

PS: do they have internet connections in heaven?
StephyMerirosvo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Gloria...

DD is right. Google is your friend. Another good place to start when confused by the meaning of a word is www.Dictionary.com.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

So...If you read, you will go broke.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm:

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby StephyMerirosvo on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:06 pm

I've been considering to give myself an avatar but never made the step... maybe one day, perhaps when I graduate and get a bit more time...
Maybe I could get a nice yellow-grass avatar... :(
StephyMerirosvo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:46 am

Nicely put Mero, you to Auntie.

Well thanks everyone ill probably get a URL spell check aswell...seems as I (as you probably noticed) suck at spelling... :cry:

Thank you Thank you Thank you very much.

XOXO
Love Gloria The Camel.
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:41 am

Gloria...

If you use the Firefox browser, I would suggest you check out SpellBound. It is a spell checking extension, and it saves me a lot of embarrassment.

Um...just noticed that you are in Australia. I don't know if you can get SpellBound in anything other than American spelling. Still worth checking out, though.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

So...If you read, you will go broke.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm:

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby Capellini on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:56 am

Poincare's Stepchild wrote:Gloria...

DD is right. Google is your friend. Another good place to start when confused by the meaning of a word is www.Dictionary.com.

BAH! Dictionary.com is horrible. I'd recommend m-w.com over dictionary.com any day. askoxford.com isn't so bad, either.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby teripie on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:18 pm

I rely on this dictionary link: http://www.onelook.com/
Another one of my favorite word tools is the reverse look up dictionary at
http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml
Same basic website, only with a twist.
In my favorites I have a folder just for my 'word' tool sites. Very handy.
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:24 pm

Oh well even if it is American spelling it will still be recognised in this forum as correct...

Well I have dictionary links flowing out my ears now, Cheers everyeone

Love Gloria The Camel

XOXOXO
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby IDolatroller on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:36 pm

Gloria T. Camel wrote:Oh well even if it is American spelling it will still be recognised in this forum as correct...

Well I have dictionary links flowing out my ears now, Cheers everyeone

Yes it's difficult to ave a dialogue with someone when they analyse the colour of your spelling I guess that gives you licence to spell words either way on a forum like this. Whether you recognised that recognised is spelt differently from recognized is probably not going to bother too many people.

Here's another link for a firefox spell-checker
aspell and it works with more recent versions of firefox.
It does recognise UK English if you set the dictionary setting, I don't know if UK English is the same as Aussie though.
IDolatroller
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Next

Return to All Things FSM