IM conversation with my Christian Cousin.

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby Capellini on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:58 pm

You can also tell her that the Bible isn't the best selling book in the world, Mao's is.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:45 pm

because the Bible is more often given than bought?

I did like the one review...

and kat, are you saying you have a 14 year-old-offspring? or you are 14?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Rasti on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:12 pm

let's see, I've learned:

With the internet, you can cut paste, platitudes to other people, and never really think about them.

i.e. I love God because, (cut/paste)

and also that if religion was not allowed to be taught until adulthood, the world would be a saner place. I could give chocolate to a six year old and have him praying to a dead frog in under a week, without threatening eternal damnation.

Gotta go, got chocolates to buy, and a frog to kill ;)
'We must Dissent', for the noodles ;)
A Validus Noodle , Pro valde Pax
Rasti
Farfalle First Mate

Location: Florida: Manipulating Hurricanes in his Noodley Name ;)

Postby teripie on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:35 pm

The one record that I know the bible holds is, it is the most banned book ever. Throughout history there's always been one group or another who's banned it. And that includes the Catholic church!
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:40 pm

well that made me blink and cough up some blood.

not really.

what would make them ban the bible? not their version of it or something?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby teripie on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:56 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:what would make them ban the bible? not their version of it or something?

Oh gosh, been ages since I read any serious history, let me see if I can recall and say why in a nutshell.
The bible was banned way back in the dark ages and only members of the clergy were allowed to read it. Some kinda muck about the common man being to nasty and common or something along those lines. Not that it mattered for it was generally only the clergy who knew how to read back in them days.

It was something along the lines of the conflict within the church about 50 years or so ago, when they decided they wanted to do the mass in languages other than Latin. That battle raged for centuries and came to a head back in the 1950's, if memory serves me.

I think that maybe the fascination with junk like the Da Vinci Code are inflamed by the history of the church doing that kinda stuff. Remember this is an establishment that's been around a long time and times changed over the centuries, so you really can't hold the modern church responsible for the dumb things done five to six hundred years ago. The world was dumb - at least Western Civilization was.
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Rasti on Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:24 pm

teripie wrote:
Qwertyuiopasd wrote:what would make them ban the bible? not their version of it or something?

Oh gosh, been ages since I read any serious history, let me see if I can recall and say why in a nutshell.
The bible was banned way back in the dark ages and only members of the clergy were allowed to read it. Some kinda muck about the common man being to nasty and common or something along those lines. Not that it mattered for it was generally only the clergy who knew how to read back in them days.

The Bible was kept in Latin, so the common man could not read it, up until King James' rewrite. It's easier to say 'because it says so, if the poor shmoo can't read it, like the tiny type at the bottom of ads and contracts. ;)
'We must Dissent', for the noodles ;)
A Validus Noodle , Pro valde Pax
Rasti
Farfalle First Mate

Location: Florida: Manipulating Hurricanes in his Noodley Name ;)

Postby Michelangelo on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:56 am

[19:52] Lilhazellrigg: no such think as a ghost

You may want to enlighten your cousin. For "Holy Spirit" is freely interchangable with "Holy Ghost" in the Roman Catholic tradition. "Holy Ghost" may even be the original term for "Holy Spirit."
Michelangelo
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby kat on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:07 pm

My son is 14...I'm older lol.

Picks up sheet, goes out to son going "wooooooo I'm the holy ghost"
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:10 pm

Is the sheet holy, too? Holy sheet! :wink:
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Captain Noobhead on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:16 pm

[19:19] FuzzyDaDogLuver: because my religion has no hell
[19:19] FuzzyDaDogLuver: everyone goes to heaven

That almost brought tears into my eyes. A world where all may go to a good afterlife. Interesting convo, btw.
Captain Noobhead
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:29 pm

I think the egyptians had that, except they had to fight off hella bad stuff before they could get in. hmm... kinda like washing burnt pots! :roll:

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ezkerraldean on Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:10 pm

damn, i wish the egyptian religion was the dominant one instead of christianity. the gods in that were much more fun.
we are both atheists, it's just that i believe in one god less than you
Ezkerraldean
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Poincare's Stepchild on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:05 pm

Ezkerraldean wrote:damn, i wish the egyptian religion was the dominant one instead of christianity. the gods in that were much more fun.

Hail to the Sun God, for he is a fun god...Ra, Ra, Ra.
Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Corruption is a Crime
Crime doesn't Pay

So...If you read, you will go broke.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm:

TTFN
Poincare's Stepchild
Lord of Linguini

Postby NeferKa on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:56 am

The downside with the ancient Egyptian religion is that if a person was bad in life, and couldn't pass the 42 negative confessions, her/his soul was devoured by Ammit! This meant that the naughty person wouldn't have an afterlife at all.

Additionally, the "bad stuff" the Egyptians had to face before the afterlife could be reduced with the help of amulets and sacred texts.
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM