Honorable Order of Toadfish

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Honorable Order of Toadfish

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Respected Moderators,

I would most humbly like to propose a Pastafarian monastic order (with loose morals, naturally) under the name of the Honorable Order of Toadfish (or HOT for short). Being as the toadfish is certainly one of the humblest of all pisceans, it is hoped he would make a suitable icon to a monastic sect. Plus he has rows and rows of teeth, the better to chew a properly prepared pasta dish.

The members of this monastic order can be of any gender and may join either through applying through use of a sticky in the Miscellaneous area (pardon me, that sounds naughty) or through private election within the monastery after we which the candidate would be asked through use of the PM system and could accept or decline the invitation.

I seek use of a private (but not secret!) sanctuary, a HOT monastery if you will, where those interested can meditate on Pastafarian spiritual and absurdist ideas and work on beer recipes (let’s face it, monks make some fine beer in this world), etc. with a minimum of distraction from the outside world. Naturally, moderators would be welcome to make sure that FSM forum rules are observed.

As a token for this favor I offer to give up the title of ‘Sir’ in my name. It was given in knighthood from Queen Elizabeth I to pirate Francis Drake so that he might plunder for her in the name of England. Later she disowned him, but he is still known by the title ‘Sir’. Ha ha on her. I suppose I ought to drop it, though, as it doesn’t seem humble enough for a monastic order.

Sincerely,
Francis Drake
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Tickle on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:31 pm

Can I be a member of HOT? I'm not a toadfish but I do think that they're very nice (they're kinda like a cross between a toad and a fish really, aren't they). I see that you accept "either gender", which is perfect for me because I'm "either gender".

I would gladly change my signature to a HOT theme if you decide to accept me...
Thought of the Day:

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." ~ Robert Byrne
Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:37 pm

Tickle, you'd be a great help! But before we can accept anyone, I have to get the go-ahead from the forum cheifs. Also, Dead Poet informs me that this should be in the OTHER Miscellaneous folder. Oops! So if DP or any other mods want to move this there, that would be most appreciated.

Watch that space and noodle your fingers! (I was going to say cross your fingers, but noodling them is more appropriate... and fun!)

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:47 am

Thank you so much. I re-started this topic in the OTHER Miscellaneous file (farther down in the forum) in case anyone wishes to discuss it further before Friday morning. You may yank this thread, if you like.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby dukes on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Tickle wrote:Can I be a member of HOT? I'm not a toadfish but I do think that they're very nice (they're kinda like a cross between a toad and a fish really, aren't they). I see that you accept "either gender", which is perfect for me because I'm "either gender".

I would gladly change my signature to a HOT theme if you decide to accept me...

Actually, he didn't say "either gender" - he said "any gender". That loosens it up a bit. Sounds like a good group - can I join?

I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me. - Groucho Marx
dukes
Lord of Linguini

Postby Tickle on Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:21 pm

Thought of the Day:

Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 pm

HOT Monastery Acceptance Agreement:

1) Keep in mind the Not Commandments, Suggestions of FSM: http://www.venganza.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2563

2) Please observe all forum rules: http://www.venganza.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675

3) Since this is a sanctuary, we’d like to keep things civil. We are here to guide ourselves toward better communication skills using the tools of patience and humbleness. As we are human, we may occasionally slip up and fall on our faces, but this should be met with understanding and guidance on the part of the others and if the perpetrator is contrite and asks forgiveness, it shall be given. If however, problems persist, it is understood that the matter will be taken up privately with perpetrator, Aunt DeeDee and myself, and a quiet excommunication is possible.

If you agree to these, please reply to me by PM saying so and presently you’ll receive an invitation to join.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby The Meromorph on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:32 pm

Will we mundanes be allowed to view pictures of the HOTties?
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.
The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:01 pm

The HOTs are wondering if it would be a good idea to post some sort of public blurb here on what we're doing every so often, since we are private, but not secret.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Tickle on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:59 pm

I'm also going to start putting sibling quotes as a "Thought for the day" on Fridays.
Thought of the Day:

Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:17 pm

This week in the Toadfish Monastery we are discussing tolerance, religious backgrounds and chocolate, among other things.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:47 pm

Sibling Thalassophryninae the Inscrutable* has come up with our new monastic motto:

"Humility is not thinking less of one's self, but thinking of one's self less."

When we're thinking of ourselves less, we have more time and attention to give to other thoughts. In the monastery we like to discuss matters both absurd and philosophical, and sometimes both at the same time.

If this sounds like your goblet of grog, PM me and find out more about joining the Honorable Order of Toadfish Monastery.

*Upon joining the order, a member can create a new title for her/himself if so desired.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:54 pm

Monastery brief:

In the Honorable Order of Toadfish Monastery we have been recently discussing a goal of worldwide religious tolerance by milennium's end, Toadfish logos and lexicon, our spinoff website, computer programming, prospective novice post quantity vs. quality and concerns over the violence pertaining to the Mohammed cartoon. Oh, and other stuff. We Toadfish are a vocal bunch, and very nice people, too if we do say so our humble selves.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:52 pm

Honorable Order of Toadfish Monastic Update*:

This week we welcomed a nice group of new Toadfish Siblings into the monastery.

We have been discussing religious philosophy, books, talking parrots, circumcision, the creation of a magazine, and the coining of new words, among other topics.

It has been recently decided that there will be a three-day waiting period for all prospective novices (those taking the Toadfish Acceptance Agreement- PM me if you want to see this agreement) so that the Siblings can have time to make known any concerns they might have. So far we have not rejected anyone, but sometimes we may need to discuss whether the quantity or quality of previous posts may or may not be condusive to our order. We're really pretty easygoing for monks, but wish to maintain our feeling of safety in the Siblinghood.

* The HOT monastery is in a private area of the threads, but does not wish to be thought of as "secret". If you have a spiritually open mind and don't take yourself too seriously, please join us.

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby KidDirty on Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:58 pm

I am a member of the Tidewater Chapter of The American Fisheries Society. Our official fish is the Oyster Toadfish. The president gets to keep a plaque with an Oyster Toadfish sculpture.

I bring this up because I am wondering if I am allowed to be in two different organizations that both venerate the Toadfish. Would my secular veneration conflict with my devotional veneration? Would my theistic veneration conflict with my scientific veneration?

Please advise.
"Please, he's no different from the rest of you organisms. Shooting DNA at each other to make babies ... I find it offensive." - Bender

"..it's a success that hasn't occurred yet." -Homeland Security Advisor to Bush Frances Townsend, on the subject of the failure to capture Osama Bin Laden.
KidDirty
Bucatini Buccanneer

Next

Return to All Things FSM