Proper salutation?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Ham Nox wrote:D***it Roland! You just HAD to go and make me blow Diet Dr. Pepper out my nose!!! (IT BURNSES, IT BURNSES!!!)

This is just too funny.. It will have to be quarantined for the protection of soda-free nostrils everywhere.

Or maybe I'll just go ahead and post it to my facebook
:haha:

I aim to please. Or is that please to aim? :haha: Anyway, glad you liked it. Should have some templates up in the next few days for you all to peruse.
User avatar
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: BASE jumping off the Dark Tower.

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Ok, I now have four templates for you to peruse. I've filled in all the details on them to show you what they will look like, but all pertinent information can be removed and replaced with whatever is needed. I have named the fonts used in order. Let me know what you think of them and what can be improved:-

Template 1 - Wacky Calligraphic, Rothenberg Decorative

Image

Template 2 - Sylfaen, Script MT Bold

Image

Template 3 - Baby Pirate, Blackadder ITC

Image

Template 4 - Av Quest, Edwardian Script ITC
Image

Template 4a - Av Quest, Edwardian Script ITC
Image
User avatar
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: BASE jumping off the Dark Tower.

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Wow! Good work! :worship: :worship: :worship:

One small gripe: Number three (the one in Piratese) would really benefit from not being in all-caps. The fonts used are just about unreadable due to the extra floweriness of the capital letters which should, therefore, be restricted to the beginnings of sentences and appropriate words (one of the first rules of calligraphy, dontchaknow :wink: )

Otherwise - I want one! :love:

Number three, please (once you have fixed the caps problem).

My treatise on "Piratical Grandparenting from a distance; the difficulties imposed by dwelling in a land-locked state" will be in the mail just as soon as I can be bothered.
User avatar
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It
 
Posts: 4388
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: Pyrate of the Canberrean

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:21 pm

How dare you criticise my hard work!!!!! :furious: :haha: :tongue:

Seriously, though, thanks for the constructive criticism, Tig. I wasn't completely happy with the look of that one when I made it, but wasn't sure what to do at the time, other than changing the font completely. I'll change the caps situation and see what that looks like before changing the font if need be. I also sent you and RRR a message about this asking for assistance, although I realise you are now a lot closer to me geographically than you usually are lol, so are most likely unavailable until you return home.
User avatar
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: BASE jumping off the Dark Tower.

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Great idea, but there's several questions to be answered first, methinks.


Should this look official?

Should it be outright humor, plain officialese, or half-believable satire?

Does there need to be a place for an official seal?

Will this be valid? (Probably not an accredited institution, but would be very cool if it was at least legally a doctorate.)


My vote is for legally valid, slightly satirical officialese, based on the doctorate certificates of major institutions, with the FSM hidden in the engraved-looking border.
User avatar
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism
 
Posts: 18337
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Great idea, but there's several questions to be answered first, methinks.

Should this look official?

Should it be outright humor, plain officialese, or half-believable satire?

Does there need to be a place for an official seal?

Will this be valid? (Probably not an accredited institution, but would be very cool if it was at least legally a doctorate.)

My vote is for legally valid, slightly satirical officialese, based on the doctorate certificates of major institutions, with the FSM hidden in the engraved-looking border.

This is why i've gone for different designs and included FSM/Pirate Fish watermarks on a couple of them, and also put the same images in the margins. I did actually look at some official and not-so-official doctorates for inspiration.

Maybe we could have a number of different designs with the wording to match, rather than limit it to one particular one. Or maybe, as was suggested previously (I think), have both serious and non-serious diplomas, with an official doctorate being attached to the serious one. This would, of course, then bring in the subject of a real, yet light-hearted, doctoral thesis needing to be submitted, which could then be placed onto a website for 'reference'. I think Edd went into detail about this on the previous page. It would be an interesting project to undertake.
User avatar
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: BASE jumping off the Dark Tower.

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:41 pm

I agree with Tig's suggestion on controlling the caps; otherwise, they all look great!
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
User avatar
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!
 
Posts: 8615
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Ocean o'Sand

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:53 am

Roland Deschain wrote:How dare you criticise my hard work!!!!! :furious: :haha: :tongue:

Seriously, though, thanks for the constructive criticism, Tig. I wasn't completely happy with the look of that one when I made it, but wasn't sure what to do at the time, other than changing the font completely. I'll change the caps situation and see what that looks like before changing the font if need be. I also sent you and RRR a message about this asking for assistance, although I realise you are now a lot closer to me geographically than you usually are lol, so are most likely unavailable until you return home.


You're welcome to the criticism! :haha:

You have baffled me with the last part of your post, though.

I'm 'a lot closer'?

I am worried that you have set up a webcam in my room somewhere and have noticed the furniture moving that means I'm now sleeping (and posting, when I have the laptop) six inches further north… :paranoid:

Or is this a Facebook misunderstanding? Hubby has gone to Ireland for our Number One Son's wedding. Due to my heart conditions I'm on the 'no fly' list, so I'm stuck here in Canberra. :bummer:
User avatar
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It
 
Posts: 4388
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: Pyrate of the Canberrean

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I have a we...er...I mean I thought you'd gone back to Ireland. My mistake there. :haha:

P.S. - The dressing table needs to be turned 3-4 degrees westward. Your Feng Shui is upset, as the chi doesn't flow through the room properly and has to swirl around the mirror twice. This is worse when Mercury rises in the age of Aquarius and Pluto gets a haircut. Or so Mystic Meg says.
User avatar
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: BASE jumping off the Dark Tower.

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:13 am

Roland Deschain wrote:I have a we...er...I mean I thought you'd gone back to Ireland. My mistake there. :haha:

P.S. - The dressing table needs to be turned 3-4 degrees westward. Your Feng Shui is upset, as the chi doesn't flow through the room properly and has to swirl around the mirror twice. This is worse when Mercury rises in the age of Aquarius and Pluto gets a haircut. Or so Mystic Meg says.



Keep out of my room! :blush:

P.S. - Is Mystic Meg going to pay for a carpenter and negotiate with my landlady? The dressing table is part of the built-in wardrobes (you know that, of course, from the we…er…).
User avatar
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It
 
Posts: 4388
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: Pyrate of the Canberrean

Re: Proper salutation?

Postby Ham Nox on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Found a way to possibly fund the theoretical Diploma Mill, but only if it's stationed in the USA: http://www.refresheverything.com
User avatar
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Utah

Previous

Return to All Things FSM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron